ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is there a way to....

Golf GTD Mk7
.....change the thermostat without losing loads of coolant? It's only just been changed really, so seems silly to flush it. Can you just syphon it out of the expansion tank and from any parts above the level of the stat and put it back once finished?

Also, does it matter if you mix coolants? I assume not as it will just be a mix of ethylene glycol, but you never know ;)

Megane r26
Just whip the old one out quickly with new one to hand an fit the new one quickly. Then just bleed any air out the system an top up with 50/50 type d coolant, personally for the money I'd change it but I can understand what your saying matey.

Golf GTD Mk7
Just whip the old one out quickly with new one to hand an fit the new one quickly. Then just bleed any air out the system an top up with 50/50 type d coolant, personally for the money I'd change it but I can understand what your saying matey.

Cheers Dan. I might well change the lot, but we'll see :) what's the capacity if the system? I had 7l in my head...

derv biege barge
It is 7L. I bought 2X 5L containers when I renewed mine, I only used the one container with a slight top up from the second container a day or two later. Oh and much better now engine getting up to temp properly.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Coolant should be completely uncontaminated. I just got rid of mine and refilled it with fresh (coolant + deionised water mix).

I wouldn't put it in a bucket and pour it back in. Not worth it just get new coolant for a tenner.