ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this a good deal for a 50D?

ITB BG 182
Been looking in to DSLR's alot recently as im new to them but want to buy some thing that is going to last a fair few years before i think of upgrading it.

After alot of people on here said the Canon 50D would be a really good camera and also after seeing and having a small play with one from 'Marky_' on here at FCS, i think i have decided to get some kit together and buy in one go.

So i went off to Jessops in Nottingham today and spoke to one of the assistant's who was really helpful.

She came up with the following package.

Canon EOS 50D + 18-200 Kit £1029
Centon DSLR Cam Bag £25
Hahnel spare battery £24
UV filter £17
SDHC 8GB £44
jessops insurance for 3 years with total coverage plus international aswell £129

Total £1260 (this includes the £65 cashback from canon at the moment)

Is this a good deal, prices fair enough or should i look at buying some thing else where?

Megane
Definitely not. (IMO)

That lens is said to be rubbish by most to be honest.

I would buy the camera at £650, get the cashback. It will cost you £585. Leaving you with over £600 for the rest of the stuff. Camera will be covered under your house insurance more than likely. Travel insurance can be had for around £20 quid

Mondeo ST TDci
The 50d is an awesome package! i got a similar deal about a year go, i went for the 18-85mm lens.
The 18-200 is a 'jack of all and master of none' type lens.
I went for this lens as i knew it was better and that eventually i would get a 70-200 L series lens. This way i only have a little overlap in the range.
I also took jessops insurance mainly because it covers you for everything! :)
Its not a SDhc card in these tho, so they have got that wrong there! also you can save a few quid on the battery if you look around.

ITB BG 182
Only reason i went to Jessops is because if im buying a grands worth of kit i dont want to be sending it off for some thing that can be done in their shop.