ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this Automatic gearbox filler plug location

Clio
Can anyone tell me if the brass torque screw in these photos, to the left of the purple clip, is the filler plug for a 2004 mk2 1.4 Clio automatic. If not, where roughly should it be as I can't see anything else yet

IMG_20220205_130154761.jpg

IMG_20220205_130210779.jpg

IMG_20220205_130256286.jpg

Clio
Well I think that's not it. After removing the air inlet duct I'm pretty sure I've found it. Only problem is it is half covered by some kind of white switch or sensor. Any easy way to undo it. I'm going to have to get at it to get the 8mm plug in to undo it. You can see it under the corner of the white thing in the middle photo.

IMG_20220205_142256412.jpg

IMG_20220205_142314030.jpg

IMG_20220205_143847886.jpg

Clio
Well! What an easy and interesting job! Did it today. The white thing in the pictures is to do with the gear selector. I put it in Neutral and it was clear of the filler plug.

"Sealed for life. Don't touch". I strongly disagree! I drained the old ATF and only ONE litre came out, and quite brown. !!!! I don't know what damage has already been done, but on a low mileage car (58k) I hope not alot.

The drain plug was an ordinary sump plug with no level checker, so I put exactly 3.5 litres back in.

I'm wondering with such a low level if the torque was filled up, if not it will have less than the stated overall 6 litres.

I'll probably change it again in a few months and will be interested to see if about 3.5 litres comes out.

Anyway one of the reasons why you should change the ATF in a second hand car is because you don't Know, if for some reason, the level is very low as in my discovery today.

Gear changes seem a bit smoother and the noise a bit less but I wasn't having any major problems, but I may have saved it from some in the near future. In my case getting the level exactly right at 60 degrees can't be done, but getting it roughly right compared to extremely low, should be all good.

Clio
So for anyone with a similar car. Warm up the gearbox with a 5minute drive. Switch off engine, put car in Neutral, handbrake on.

Remove air inlet duct and loosen filler plug - a safety check cause if you emptied the gearbox and then couldn't undo the filler plug, you're stuck!

Undo gearbox sump plug and drain, refit new sump plug and washer. I used Mannol Dex 3 plus 4litres and filled a 500ml lucozade drink bottle, leaving 3.5 litres. Used a funnel and plastic tubing (12mm inner/15mm outer gives a tight fit) to pour this into filler plug, refit filler plug and washer. Job done!

BUT if you have the proper level checking sump plug then you should do a proper level check with the oil at 60 degrees as this is what is recommended.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FMAAESG/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LFVQ9I/?tag=cliospnet01-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZJNCNZH/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Clio
Strange, I can't find any examples or info of an auto like mine having an ordinary sump plug on the gear box drain hole and not a 2 piece level plug. Haynes only mentions the 2 piece level reading plug. Can't even find one for sale.

Anyone know if it's the same size thread - could someone have taken out the 2 piece level reading plug and replaced it with an ordinary sump plug?

Clio
What a learning process this is.

Just discovered this :

"The later models had a revision as said and have a square recess plug, that you found, and up the hole is a plastic tube with a hex hole in it so it can be removed for draining the oil. Then you replace the tube as far as it will go up(not too tight) and that will give the oil fill level. By memory the allen key required is 8MM using the long end."

If this is the case then this means that I put an extra 3.5 litres in, scary, although I can't see how the metal fragment I found came out in the drain, if it had to get over a level tube.

So I got to order an 8mm hex tool and do it again to check. Already took it for a 30min drive. If there an extra 3.5 litres in then I hope it didn't do any damage. If it's not extra then a second change Will give it 80/90% new fluid. Will update once done.

Clio
Got my 8mm hex and went to check it. The bottom and back of the gear box was covered in oil and some drips on the ground. The 30minute drive has done some damage. Took off the sump plug and let just over 3l drain out and then put the hex key in and yes there is a plastic tube. So I ran a gearbox designed to have 6l fill, with an extra 3l (9l) for 30 minutes and it oozed out of the seals. It is still running fine. Any thoughts?

I'll have to get it cleaned for the MOT and hope that what I read on this page is true for it :

""Overfilling the transmission fluid will not cause seals to break, but they may leak. The transmission is vented so that pressure won't build in the unpressurized areas. Transmission fluid can leak out these vents if it is too high. The seals higher in the transmission may also leak, but these seals are not pressurized. ""

Clio
I'm not really too hopeful, I think I've blown some seals. Will see what happens in the future, if it starts giving problems. I thought Haynes manual would have been more accurate. Not a mention of later models having an ordinary sump plug and recessed plastic tube. So if some seals are permanently blown any ideas as to what problems I should expect in the near future?

As for cleaning I think I'll just get under it with some hot water, fairy liquid and a washing up brush. I'm sure the MOT will mention the leak, just hope I can clean it up enough not to fail.

Clio
Here's a good video if you're doing this job and find you have a sump plug instead of what you expect!