ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this installation of breather correct

Skoda Fabia vRS

the breather filter should be on a pipe which came from the engine and into the air box, not on a pipe from the air box

hi BRUN,

The pipe on the picture is from the engine, the breather hole is inside the airbox. In order to connect to a breather filter, need tp drill a hole out from the airbox. Donno if this setup is corrrect?

Actually, wat is the real purpose of breather? is it necessary to connect the breather?

Skoda Fabia vRS

the pipe on the picture mate looks to be clearly coming from the air box and not the engine ??

could you circle the picture where the pipe you have the breather on, originally went to.........i/e where you pulled it off of....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

it dont look right thats the airbox

there is no way the breather would go there

Hi BRUN,

The pipe is additional....There isnt any pipe from the engine as breather hole is DIRECTLY connected from the engine to the airbox.

Theres a hole in the airbox directly connected to the engine breather.

I am driving a 1.4L 16v year 2000 model Clio II....

Pls see the RED Circle where the breather hole is....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

ok right so why fit a breather if it flows through the airfilter anyway?

Skoda Fabia vRS

the breather should be on the pipe where you have your red circle, i think......if your usin the air box however you dont need to fit a breather filter

in fact by doing so, and not havin one on the engine, your probably doin more harm than good

Hi BRUN & tomclio,

I seee, so its not necessary to have a breather....

More harm to engine? for example? I do feel the lost of low end torque...but the high end on 4k rpm is good.

Skoda Fabia vRS

not harm from the airbox side.........as this is where you have the breather.........so it is being filtered.....any air its drawing in

the thing what im saying........is that where you have disconnected the pipe from the engine......that should go back into the airbox / inlet to be burnt

some people think this is a necessary process, and the oil breather pipe should always be relocated back into the intake system even if an aftermarket filter is fitted

im only goin off what ive read/know...........so id get a few more opinions before you start to worry as i could be wrong

hi tomclio1.2

I think the hole should be ok as I am NOT using the stock drop-in filter. I am using K& N cone filter near the battery.

BMW 320d Sport

LOL I havent got a bloody clue whats going on here! I need an overhead view of the engine bay so I can see what goes where. Labelled if poss!

Basically the breather system on an engine is how the oil vapours are vented out from the engine block. This is usually by a pipe coming out from the engine into the area upstream or downstream of the throttle but definitely in the filtered area of the inlet tract.

The oil vapours are drawn out of the engine block by the vacuum in the manifold, then they are burnt off in the cylinders. Obviously if one of these breathers is disconnected, the block is not being ventilated as well as if it is actually being hoovered out by the manifold vacuum. Whether this makes a difference or not is a question that is not really agreed upon by everyone!

However if you want a breather filter on a pipe, it should be an existing pipe that youve had to unplug from the airbox because youre using an induction kit without a connector to plug the pipe into. THen you have to use a breather filter t0 make sure you dont leave the block open to accidentally sucking up crap, although I dont know how it would do that, the pressure should be outwards from the block always?

Hi all...let me shed some light on this...

The breather is actually short for crankcase breather, it is used to allow the exfcess crankcase vapours exit the engine when you have it on full throttle. As the pic clearly shows the filter is not coming from the crankcase but the airbox...what you have effectively done is add another filter. where it should be positioned is here.....

URL]

you see the two wires towards the left of the airbox one is the throttle sensor the right one and the other is the PCV valve ( the one made by magneto marelli??). Now the thing is the PCV vents the excess gases back into the airbox to be burnt off rather than vent into the atmosphere. You need a breather filter when you fit an induction kit because the airbox is disconnected. If you want a breather on while you use the aibox you need to disconnect the PCV valve and then find some way of sealing the hole for the airbox that the valve goes into and then fashion some holder for the PCV valve and filter...pls msg me if you need more details...I have done this before but to be honest it didnt do much for performance so i took it off and kept the environment cleaner at the same time!!

Hope this all helps?? :D details can be found in the technical and review section of www.coupe-club.co.uk

i wouldnt of put it on.......take it off and cover up teh hole again.

BRUN, i think hes was saying that thre was NO external breater outlet for the engine. it was already venting into the TB frmo an internal vent inside the TB or just before it....i cant really see.

Skoda Fabia vRS

thats also what i thought he was gettin at Ben, however he has circled somethin for me on the picture

could you provide the pic again without the circle ?