ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this right ? Cambelt,mounts , clutch Could cost more than I paid for the mk1

1997 Mk1 1.2
I own a clio mk1 ph3 1.2 , I brought it with 64'000 on the clock and it's never missed a beat
good little motor but I have no decent service history

somebody I work with also owns a mk1 1.4 rt and is in need of a new clutch, he's rang around a few garages and has been given quotes ranging from £400-£800 !!!! :eek: apparently because it's an engine out job , he's scraping it :/

This seems ridiculously expensive IMO but I'm debating what to do with my own now if this is right?

I have no record of a cam belt change and I've now done 8000 miles in it since buying it (72'000 in total)

I myself have not rang round for any cam belt change quotes but was considering having

Cam belt changed (incl water pump aux belt etc)

All brand new engine/transmission mounts

And New clutch
All done in one go ,

Considering if the quote for a new clutch is more than I paid for the car , with having a cambelt and mounts aswell it could be getting on for £1000+

Is this correct ? Or am I being lead on ....

I'm considering part exchanging the car before something gives and costs a packet and saves me from throwing money into a bottomless pit

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
When a car is new and it costs 800 pounds for a clutch and cambelt, its cause that is what the parts and labour cost, when the car is worth naff all 20 years down the line the parts and labour are still the same price.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You need to look around more dude, the clutch is only £100 and not a hard job for a skilled mechanic who actually wants to work, I'd take that price on a small engine that he simply can't be arsed with it imo a good price means they are keen, Like Dan's above £300 he should have people queuing up for them, wish he was closer with his belt prices.

1997 Mk1 1.2
Thanks for the replies :) any more advice would be much appreciated

When he said prices like that , It was my initial thoughts they 'didn't want the work' or that it was a b***h of a job , just flicked through my Haynes manual ,don't get me wrong it looks a big job, for a clutch it says that there's 2 approaches for a clutch
Full engine out or gearbox out , but I can't help thinking there's a much easier way round it and I'd say £300 (like above sounds about right and a good deal)

In regards to cambelt change ,clutch and mounts all together what sort of price am I looking at ? (
Im tempt to leave it and wait for it to go , and drop a whole new lump in (it'll feel like I'm driving a ticking time bomb but feel it could be cheaper)

Not sure about an RT but I have the D-type 1149cc 8v engine ,
I've read several other threads about small garages not using the specific tools to lock up the camshaft/crank and destroying engines
I've not done any mechanical work on a clio , not touched it, other than oil/filter change and plugs and leads , I'm going to ring around for a few quotes at lunch , I'm getting alot of vibration thorough out the car and my engine is rocking about all over the shop and thought being as the belt is under the top engine mount I'd get them replaced at the same time as the belt ,
I've been underneath and the dog bone trans. Mount has more swing in it than Tarzan :) definitely needs sorting ,
Just debating whether to drive it in to the ground or spend the £'s, MOT is due in feb.14

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Me and my dad have mananged to do clutches on mk1 1.2 and 1.4's its deff not an engine out job. Take it to Dan (above) hes a legend and you'll know its done properly

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats a good price from dan (although only for clutch where as OP mentioned cambelt and mounts as well)

Either take it to dan, or learn how to work on it yourself which is often the only way old cheap cars are financially viable sadly mate!