ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Issues I have with my 182 Cup

RenaultSport clio 182 Cup
Hello all,

I have owned my 182 cup for just over 2 wks. Its a great car and I am enjoying it very much. Car has covered 29k miles and is on a 54 plate. The car is bog standard.

Their are however some annoying little issues:

1) Exhaust rattle between 2k and 3.5k under moderate to full power acceleration. Does not make noise when engine is revved with car stationary, ie under no load. Nor does the noise occur when on the overrun back down through the rpm range.
I have read all of the threads and they all say it might me the exhaust heat shield loose/knackered or the center exhaust section broken down with age. In all your experience which is it most likley to be? If it is the heat shield can they be tightend? Maybe I need a new center section? Could the noise be the cat rattling?

2) Ticking from front wheel. This noise sounds just like when a stone is stuck in the tyre tread (their isn't one stuck before you ask!). Can only be Heard at low speed (10mph ish) Can any one shed any light on what it might be?

3) Pre ignition. Has anyone had any problems with pre ignition (pinking)? This could be just another noise linked to the exhuast issue above, but I have what sounds like pinking under 3/4 throttle in 2nd/3rd gear at approx 4k- 5.5k. I have optimax in the tank, but I think the car was run on normal fuel before I got it. Maybe disconnecting the bat for an hour or so to reset ECU will help?

I'm hoping Edde and the Yozzasport guys will be able to offer me some advice?

Thanks for reading.

Regards, Dan

Lionel Richie
1) that'll be your centre section or a loose heat sheild - warranty

2) i've had a few that do that, i can't figure it out either! it does go away evertually (locking wheel nuts was the cause on one i had in, it had the stupid renault ones on that have a wee floating collar round them, these rattle

3) 95RON won't be to blame, unhooking the battery won't do anything, does the car judder about and misfire etc?

1) ok i'll jack the car up and see if I can tell which of the two it is.

2) I'll investigate the wheel nuts. I read that some people have had a similar noise from a faulty ABS sensor? Likley?

3) No judder or misfire, runs smooth. Could be just me hearing things or product of the exhaust prob listed above. In your experience you've not come accross other 182's pinking?

Ph1 172
with number two, i have some times found a bit of dirt or grit between the pad and disc can be the cause.

nathan

Thanks for all your help guys.

Any more on the Pinking issue? I cant be the only one to have experienced it, can I!?

How about the ABS sensor and the ticking noise, anyone found that to be the problem?

pmurray: Is the exhaust center section a part under warranty? I can just imagine the response from the dealer!?

Cheers Dan

Impreza STI v5
1. I had the same noise coming from my exhaust on my 53 plate cup thought it was the heat sheild so took it to kwik fit to get them to adjust it found out the baffels in both the center sec and back box had gone so took it back to renault they said the same but renault only cover there exhaust under warranty for 1 year.
got a s/s system fitted last week and the garage that fitted it said that the oe exhaust that renault use on the sport range are too weak they can't handle the heat or the force that the exhaust gasses come out there for if you like to drive a renault sport hard you need to get a proper system on it

Thanks Gman582 thats good advice.

Which ss system did you go for, how much did you pay and where did you have it fitted?

Cheers
Dan

Impreza STI v5
No problem mate I got a powerflow one made up and fitted not cheep 400 quid from the cat back, but i got a price of an o/e one from kwik fit and because my car is under 5 years old they said they would have to order it from the manufacturer and that was coming in at 380 so you have to weigh up the pros and cons get a standard one and it only lasts 2 and a half years then you are in the same boat again or a s/s one with a life time warrenty i know what i would go for every time :cool:

Tangoed Works
Prob not pinking, I think they all make a tinkling sound under load at certain rpm, just the characteristics of the engine.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
>>the center exhaust section broken down with age.

Mine 172 also had broken down after 58000km milage. Thus I just remove it away~!
After that, even the car will start faster and smoother then before~ ;)

Trophy 88/500
car was only 7 months old had to get a new cat and centre section! so dont know if its age or just s**t parts!