ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB's back to standard... god these cars feel slow now!

After removing the Jenveys and going back to what I consider standard (cat back exhaust and decat are only mods) how the hell do people put up with these??? They are so bloody slow off cam it's almost dangerous, I'm no longer able to leave it in 5th to overtake down the back roads and instead find myself having to use the gearbox (which it wont be happy about :evil: )... I honestly expected it to be better than it is, below 5k there's nothing, then at 5k you get some feeble poor mans i-Vtec that gives you a gentle shove and does the sum parts of f**k all :(

Good news is that petrol expense has gone down, as I'm using the standard non broken TPS sensor, but I find myself wanting to drive it flat out to make up for it's lack of grunt... I think it also makes me want to drive faster as it all feels so pedestrian and easy to control. It's a shame the engine characteristics dont mimic the Williams more, that had plenty of low down torque and punch and made it easy to drive. This needs to be ragged to death and drives more like my valver :(

God I need throttle bodies again...

obviously disappoited now? ;)

massively, wish I left them on now :(

Imagine you were born with 4 legs, well this is like that then having two cut off... :(

maybe 1 of the 3 wise men will bring you some!! oh and clean your pm box fool!

:D They better had do, and my colour stipulations still stands ;)

Had a look at my PM box, it looked too much like hard work to clean it... email me fella, on my work one.

Laingo said:
Sounds like you should have bought a diesel if you're a lazy driver.

I like to go fast though... :(

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
What are your Plans now then? You going Turbo or Supercharger Route or staying Std??

going for more throttle bodies, but using stock cams for the moment. Still got the Omex on, but using a standard map, so that's one less thing to worry about.

Russ - sold em to do something different, fancied having it supercharged properly at the time, but I'm an NA guy at heart, so when I heard about these I went back to the dark side :)

nowt wrong with em at all Tom, just fancied a change and wanted more power, so got rid with the intention of running some boost... but then AT Power released their stuff and after speaking to them I decided to go for those instead... cheaper for a start, sounds nicer than the hairdryer whine from a charger and easier to live with I reckon

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yeah, ive always been fond of the ITB route.
Fair play, if they are cheaper, makes sense.

yeah, once you've had them it's hard to go back... just cant wait to get something on it as I cant stand how slow it feels... having an open filter doesn't help though I guess...

williams 2
never mind john, all will come in all good time!! while in the mean time everytime i see you i will prod the throttle and shout jenveys, jenveys i love my f**king jenveys lol!! You loved it i think by the look on your face as you pulled away in shame pmsl

:(

I honestly cant see what people see in these cars as standard... Williams was miles quicker with basic breathing mods :( Oh well, will have bodies again soon, hopefully in some uber queen colour lol

Clio v6
So you removed your throttle bodies and found the car to be slower. Well what a surprise! Could have been worse if you took them off and found it made no difference. :)

......... Goes out to strip my car out just to check. ;)

53 Clio's & counting
Russ - sold em to do something different, fancied having it supercharged properly at the time, but I'm an NA guy at heart, so when I heard about these I went back to the dark side :)

ah fair play mate,wish i could afford a set!

So you removed your throttle bodies and found the car to be slower. Well what a surprise! Could have been worse if you took them off and found it made no difference. :)

......... Goes out to strip my car out just to check. ;)

lol, fair point James! What I mean is that without ITB's the car is "too" slow and the power delivery is horrible, with nothing at all below 5k then it jumps into life... I miss having some torque :(

I suppose half the problem could be that it's only running a basic map because it's going back into the workshop in a few weeks, but I miss not having 140lbs/ft @ 2000rpm :(

172 cup TT
Its all a matter of opinion Jesus... You just cant say the standard 1*2's are 'slow' and 'dangerous'.. really can ya?.. youve been used to a rocket ship for a while now so in your opinion, yeh, it must be a right pain in the arse.. They arent the fastest things in the world by a loooonng way but they certainly arent "slow"... My cup is cracking (Similar to Ph-quick i guess) and punches way above its weight..... I love the little b!tch at times :)

oh yeah, I've deffo been warped by ITB's, but it's the direct comparison of having a car I could be lazy in and to a degree take for granted, to one that I need to work harder to make it go quick. I'm used to it just picking up and going in whatever revs in whatever gear, now I have to wring it's neck before anything happens though... my Williams wasn't like that... will take it up to 2 lives for a comparison with one of his Williamseses

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
No s**t! you've gone from about 240bhp to 180!

I realise that, it's more the fact it feels like a valver as standard lol...

Like i always say...10bhp-20bhp gains equate to very little...A touch more pull in comparison to other cars...It's not till you go over 50bhp you will easily catch and pass another car.

Valver's pace?!....i would hope for your sake not!

Can we sticky this thread please for all the peeps who think that their standard 172/182 does 60 in five secs & keeps up with supercars.

:clown: ;)

Can we sticky this thread please for all the peeps who think that their standard 172/182 does 60 in five secs & keeps up with supercars.

:clown: ;)

That's possibly the most fuckwitted statement I've read in a good few hours on these boards. Especially coming from a V6 owner ;)

I realise that, it's more the fact it feels like a valver as standard lol...

Like i always say...10bhp-20bhp gains equate to very little...A touch more pull in comparison to other cars...It's not till you go over 50bhp you will easily catch and pass another car.

Valver's pace?!....i would hope for your sake not!

dunno, 20bhp up on standard is a fair bit imo, I certainly noticed that on the Williams over totally standard. 50+ is huge though yeah, especially in gear on the move against another 172 the difference is difficult to believe!

The valver pace thing might be exagerated, but it has very similar driving characteristics and honestly doesn't feel much faster than my mates totally standard valver... I think it's the shock more than anything, it's like the bhp fairies have been busy taking them away overnight :(

what a pointless thread.

not really gives people who have never experienced an ITB'd car a comparison against a standard 172

dont worry Phil, I'm making a more interesting thread for people about brushing techniques to use when cleaning the heater vents inside the car ;)

in all seriousness though, anyone that's not driven an ITB'd Clio wont understand or be able to comprehend how much faster in reality they actually are. They even keep up with supercars that can do 0-60 runs in the 5's... like the Clio V6!