ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iTunes Match

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Now live in uk.

Just effectively turned my 16GB iPhone and iPad into a unlimited device.

Also lets you access your music library on ATV WITHOUT a Mac/PC

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Saw a wee review of this on the Lifehacker podcast. Don't think I'll bother using it just now. There were one or two things that were wrong/not idea with it. Can't remember what they were but it was enough to put me off just now.

Does it match all music? Like, even pirate stuff?

So I can play all of my music that's on my mac, even though it's not loaded on my iphone? over wifi I assume?

And I assume my mac doesn't need to be on as it's all done via the cloud?

Revels Mum & Sister
SO basically if I signed up for Match, any music in my iTunes library i.e on the Macbook will be 'Matched' through my itunes account. So when I am on the ATV and logged into the iTunes account my music should then show?

BMW F31
Reading around the net, it seems once its uploaded you can also delete your library, which if you want to save space, makes it worthwhile

Inferno 182 CUP
Is it really safe to be uploading ALL of it to iTunes match and then deleting your entire music library from your mac =/

Also If I'm at work and I'm on 3G not wifi .. can i download some songs to my phone or do i need WIFI?

Obviously if 3G does this eat at my data package as 1 album is approx 100mb ...

Iirc, you're not downloading songs, it's streaming.

And you won't upload all of your songs to iTunes Match, just the ones that aren't already in iTunes database (20 million strong).

Like I said, you don't upload all of your songs. I'd love to see how long it takes to upload my 75+GBs of music if that were the case!

I hear what you're saying though.

Inferno 182 CUP
Ok it streams .. but is it wise to delete my library after and rely on the service being permanent?

If i delete my library then if i stop using match I've lost all my music also....

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I suppose my concern about deleting my entire library would be, what if Apple goes bust? Unlikely and an extreme scenario I know. I'm surely left with f**k all in that case.

I'm really conscious I've lowered myself to Dannys level here. Be gentle...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Well it kinda does, as long as its in the gracenote database they match it.

I had 800 songs fail out of 13,000 and it uploads them manually. (i suspect its poor naming)

I mean it works on music that came from any source, ripped, bought off other online places, illegal etc....

NOT just iTunes purchased tracks.

Wonder how much 'other' info they can gather from all of this? ;)

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Not yet.

Purchased itunes TV shows already work like that anyway. But i think its going to be a LONG LONG time before they do this for films.

To set it up, buy itunes match in the itunes store and then thats it.

My stuff is named immaculately (slight OCD with that).

What about Video Tom?

Dan, I am worried about "other info" they may gather... :quiet:

To be honest, I think most people have got at least a few songs in their libraries obtained in ways they shouldn't have. I'd really struggle to believe otherwise!

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
I wonder what the laws are about users pirated music getting uploaded to Apples iCloud database. In theory Apple now have copies of millions of pirated songs stored on their servers.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
do you have to have wifi for this to work?

i listen to my music in the car so i obviously havnt got any wifi and sometimes its likley that ill drop out of 3G coverage too so im guessing it wouldnt work then?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
I wonder what the laws are about users pirated music getting uploaded to Apples iCloud database. In theory Apple now have copies of millions of pirated songs stored on their servers.

They dont. Very few are uploaded, most of them are just matched. Hence the name.

Works over 3G

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
They dont. Very few are uploaded, most of them are just matched. Hence the name.

Works over 3G

Yes I understand most will be matched.....

What about the tracks which won't match? surely Apple don't have access to all record labels collections.

Therefore users will upload tracks which haven't matched Apples database, what if those tracks break copyright laws?