ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Government entity I work for are all hosted on Azure, in fact I think most of the gov IT is hosted on Azure, but we're in the process of introducing HPA across everything and it's forecast to save a few hundred k per year.

I don't claim to know much, I just test the apps, but find it interesting how the costs can really snowball.

Snowball and Government go hand in hand mate :ROFLMAO:

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I saw this over in the funny pictures thread and it got me thinking

1722593672149.jpeg

So, I’m a 30 year time served veteran in customer support/success, my job title is architect, I work in financial reconciliation with some of the biggest banks and institutions in the world. I have never, ever done an IT helpdesk role.

My wife’s parents still think I work on a helpdesk fixing printers and desktop PCs, they just can’t comprehend anything else. They have latched onto “have you tried turning it off and on again” as something funny they can say to me. Drives me mildly crazy. No, I haven’t told UBS to turn their several hundred user system off and on again.

What about you guys, do you have similar?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1704834

So, I’m a 30 year time served veteran in customer support/success, my job title is architect, I work in financial reconciliation with some of the biggest banks and institutions in the world. I have never, ever done an IT helpdesk role.

My wife’s parents still think I work on a helpdesk fixing printers and desktop PCs, they just can’t comprehend anything else. They have latched onto “have you tried turning it off and on again” as something funny they can say to me. Drives me mildly crazy. No, I haven’t told UBS to turn their several hundred user system off and on again.

Yep.

I've been away from 'the tools' for years. I work in IT looking after Projects for Finance firms as a consultant (Hedge and PE etc). Basically a mix of solutions architecture and Project/Programme Management.

My Dad phones me if, as does much of my family in fact, if they have an issue with literally anything that's powered by Electricity.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
The second any family member hears the words IT they think IT support, even if you were an IT project manager.
They hear what they want to hear, and what they want to hear is free IT support.
TBH it’s the same with cars, they see/hear you like cars and you’re all of a sudden their point of contact when they want to buy a new 3 series 🤷‍♂️

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I still work in the depths of it all, data plumber I like to think of it, love it and hate it at times in equal measure but it's interesting and varied. No qualifications though, just on the job since 2012 and worked up from support tech to enterprise infrastructure manager for UK and Europe so must be doing something right.

Zero interest at home though, basically tech free house and spend my time stuck in cars or out in the Great outdoors

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
I use the "cloud" as a cop out, i don't work in IT, i work with the cloud, thankfully most people don't realise it's just a bunch of someone else's computers in a bunker in reading :ROFLMAO:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
My parents have never understood any of my jobs. First was a “Radiographic Hydrodynamics Physicist” and now I’m a “Software Engineer”. Annoys my brother as he is a design engineer and does actual engineering and doesn’t think I am a proper engineer. But the at home tech has skipped me, I don’t do any gaming or the typical things a software dev does. I have zero interest in making loads of home projects on GitHub as I do enough of that crap in work every day.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Theres no such thing as the f**king cloud though. People talk about it like it's some sort of Jesus like creature and packets whizz above our heads like in Charlie and the chocolate factory

It's just in someone else's tin in someone else's Datacentre that they're absolutely rinsing you for.

Apart from that last bit, we don't rinse you for it. Pinky promise?
Don't come in here with your big colo size 9's.
You just provide air conditioned shelves in an old C&A warehouse.

View attachment 1704834

Yes.
Still get the old classic from fringe family members who you see now at funerals only. X this request by 100:

"I need a laptop - what do you suggest"

"No idea. I am a consumer like you"

"Oh, thought you worked in IT"

f**k off

I posted that photo/meme as it rung true when I first got a 'proper' job in IT at 18. My mum was dead proud and ushered me round to my Nans, who was so pleased but had ZERO clue. I bet that was echoed up and down the nation.
I fell foul of this trap though, my Nan was a sorcerer of great power. When her VCR wasn't working, or video+ didn't record, microwave wouldn't turn on... I was called. I darent say No and secretly she knew I didn't work at Rumbelows or Tandy, but she played me royal fashion.

RIP

340i
I still work in the depths of it all, data plumber I like to think of it, love it and hate it at times in equal measure but it's interesting and varied. No qualifications though, just on the job since 2012 and worked up from support tech to enterprise infrastructure manager for UK and Europe so must be doing something right.

Zero interest at home though, basically tech free house and spend my time stuck in cars or out in the Great outdoors

You've fully the mastered the art of "turn it off, turn it on" and now you lead others in this practice. :ROFLMAO:

340i
Worked in the IT industry for 15yrs... Haven't done support work for 7~yrs, yet still have family members who think I "fix computers" and occasional phone calls along the lines of:

"My phone isn't working, can you sort it"

"the TV isn't on the HMD, HD1, HDMI1 thing, any idea"

"What's a good laptop now days"

Usually ends up with "You don't know much, I thought you did this at work" - No, piss off 🙃

Like others I have near zero interest in home IT, aside from decent WiFi coverage and a several IoT devices!! - Colleagues have full blown labs, server racks in their basement / loft, coding, Git projects etc. :sleep:

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Worked in the IT industry for 15yrs... Haven't done support work for 7~yrs, yet still have family members who think I "fix computers" and occasional phone calls along the lines of:

"My phone isn't working, can you sort it"

"the TV isn't on the HMD, HD1, HDMI1 thing, any idea"

"What's a good laptop now days"

Usually ends up with "You don't know much, I thought you did this at work" - No, piss off 🙃

Like others I have near zero interest in home IT, aside from decent WiFi coverage and a several IoT devices!! - Colleagues have full blown labs, server racks in their basement / loft, coding, Git projects etc. :sleep:

Yeah bunch of the service delivery and developers at my place are like that, busman's holiday as far as I can tell tbh

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member

I'm sort of the same, I have zero interest in having a home lab. I have a gaming PC and that's my limit really

Some of the people I work with have their full houses on smart everything. To the point one of the lads is using his Nissan Leaf for STOR and has everything in his house on Home Assist including his gaming PC and his server. He lives and breathes computers and anything tech. Just feels like a proper chore to me, I put an unmanaged wifi6 AP in because p**n was taking an age to load whilst I was on the shitter upstairs

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'm sort of the same, I have zero interest in having a home lab. I have a gaming PC and that's my limit really

Some of the people I work with have their full houses on smart everything. To the point one of the lads is using his Nissan Leaf for STOR and has everything in his house on Home Assist including his gaming PC and his server. He lives and breathes computers and anything tech. Just feels like a proper chore to me, I put an unmanaged wifi6 AP in because p**n was taking an age to load whilst I was on the shitter upstairs

I find most of the people who have it all at home have absolutely zero comms skills usually.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member

1722610984695.jpeg

Reminds me of this old joke.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
So does anyyyyyyone have even a small homelab?
I’ve always enjoyed tinkering and breaking and fixing stuff. It’s just a Plex server and a bunch of containers mainly doing media (I mean Linux ISO) automation plus some unifi network stuff to play with.
It might be because I don’t do any sysadmin stuff at work that it doesn’t feel like a chore (and at this stage it’s proper low maintenance).

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I…. Um……
I’ve always enjoyed tinkering and breaking and fixing stuff. It’s just a Plex server and a bunch of containers mainly doing media (I mean Linux ISO) automation plus some unifi network stuff to play with.
It might be because I don’t do any sysadmin stuff at work that it doesn’t feel like a chore (and at this stage it’s proper low maintenance).

200.gif

I‘m a bit bereft of toys at the moment but tend to have an old rackmount server or some sort of other gadget on the go, just to tinker with.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
IMG_2365.jpeg

I did have a reasonably small setup for a while after setting up a company just to get it off the ground but my god the power bill.
Ended up binning most of it off because i hate computers :ROFLMAO:

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
The only tech thing I’ve wanted to do is make a data logging thing for track days out of a Raspberry Pi. So GPS and accelerometer kind of thing then improve my python script I currently use.

Krarl

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone with a homelab is interested in buying some old hardware (Dell Poweredge R510/R720XD/R330/R430/R630/R730) then do let me know

I will do you a reasonable deal, they won't come with any drives though. Cos GDPR innit

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Some good buying opportunities coming up (and some already yesterday) ;)

And good for any long term funds, lower they are now the more you get for your money.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Some good buying opportunities coming up (and some already yesterday) ;)

And good for any long term funds, lower they are now the more you get for your money.
I wonder if Intel will ever recover though.

Has anyone tried any of the new ARM Windows PCs so far?
I know there’s some compatibility issues but interested to hear how they stack up to Apple silicon in terms of battery and performance.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
What's the issue with Intel? I missed it.
Other than blokes at work pretending to be traders spouting their loses

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
What's the issue with Intel? I missed it.
Other than blokes at work pretending to be traders spouting their loses
Their latest chips are bricking themselves and they’re not offering replacements (yet).
They also announced like 12k redundancies and trying to save billions which isn’t a good sign.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
Intel have extended the warranty on 13th and 14th gen chips by 2 years due to the issues they’re having.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Haven’t had AMD since my slot A Athlon 650 (not that I change frequently, only had 2 CPUs since then, and the 7700k is one of them 😂), tempted by Ryzen next though.