ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ive been naughty :(

mk2 172

you see i have this thing in the back of my mind that tells me i shout take the car above 3k rpm until my oil is sitting pretty at a nice temp, 99.9% of time i stick to this religously, problem is theres an AX GT lives not too far away and i spotted it earlier on my six after id been running the engine for about a minute, now this guy is one of those kind of people who thinks hell "stick with me til 80" then ill start pulling away and an oppurtunity to quash his beliefs are few and far between so i planted it through three gears and blew him to smitherines, then i was gutted at what i did. to make it worse i then got a complex feeling my car was now slower and began doing 0-100 times, although slightly uphill they were down by 2 seconds. would that one injustice knacker my puppy or am i being stupid, and does a slight uphill slow you down that much????

cheers

craggy

i dont wait till my cars warmed up b4 i floor it.. i start it up and within 30 seconds.. im red line 1st off the drive :) oops

mk2 172

that will be the death of your engine my friend, i went oil mad since buying the willy, and its warm before i thrash and changed every 4k, helps me sleep at night:D

Skoda Fabia vRS

once in a while your car will take it, but dont make a habit of it, also your car wont be at its fastest anywayz because the oil will be cold, so wait and you can thrash him properly when its warmed up

also, uphill will affect your times obviously

mk2 172

my surname is cragg GR, the rest as they say is history, and just been and done a downhill on that piece of road, lol , 15.7 to 100. gues im ok.

172 Cup, V6 255, Williams

Craggy, you are a sensible being for letting your engine warm up before letting rip. This one injustice wont harm it, but dont make a habit of it.

Paul

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I try not to go over 3.5k until my oils warmed up. Get scared otherwise im gonna damage mi motor.

Craggy-

Do you still have that number plate you had before your new one?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Craggy,

At least you have an oil temp gauge mate, 172S dont so you have to leave it about 10 minutes before giving it some beans from cold !

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Quote: Originally posted by ChavyBoy on 30 September 2002

Craggy,

At least you have an oil temp gauge mate, 172S dont so you have to leave it about 10 minutes before giving it some beans from cold !

Im sure it does!

Astra 1.9cdti XP

An oil level indicator!!! I thought that was a temp gauge?

I thought you checked the oil level by using the dipstick!

Seriously, is that a level indicator? What fecking use is that?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Yep that is the oil level indicator.

Saves ya lifting the bonnet and checking the oil, but I have heard this is not 100% accurate so its fing usless anyway.

I think Geordiepaul was confusing the water temp indicator with the oil temp, because you can only check the level when you start the car and the oil isnt going to be hot then.

Stu.

Now this is something id be interested in fitting. Just so Im sure its up to temp before ragging it. Usually give it 10 minutes under 3,000 rpm.

Anyone know whats involded with fitting one?

.....sure its not an oil level gauge that becomes an oil pressure gauge when you start her up, thats what my pug had?

just a suggestion

BMW 320d Sport

hehe yeah I pretty much never cane it over 3500 when its cold, but you know how it is, sometimes theres some arse in a white van who is just crying out to be overtaken on the way to work...I dont make a habit of it, but Ive gotta say, my Clio is just as quick and responsive when its warm as when its only been running for a couple of minutes - maybe thats the 15W50 Mobil 1 that helps?

Scirocco GT TSi DSG

ChavyBoy

My manual says it is a coolant temperature gaugage. Since changing the oil this gaugage is twice as quick at getting to the correct temperature (I timed it before and after) Isnt this then the oil temp gauage?

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Guys there is no Oil Temp Guage at all. Greeper I have found my car heats the water up in about 3-5 minutes but I should imaging the oil takes a little longer.

my cars quicker when cold all that lovely dense air within the engine bay, although soon turns roasting and thins out, need to sort out some ducting me thinks. I also still try not to thrash it too bad when cold, but sometimes you just cant avoid it, so dont beat yourself up

Alex M