ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've moved up a class. Could you?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Subaru Impreza (2008)
Mini Cooper S Works GP (2006)
Nissan 350Z (2008)
Volvo S60 R (2007)
Mitsubishi Evo VI Makinen Ed (2001)
Audi S4 (2008)
Mitsubishi Evo VII (2003)
Subaru Impreza WRX STi PPP (2005)
BMW M5 [E28] (1988)
Maserati Q'porte Sport GT S (2008)
BMW M5 [E34] (1996)
Audi S8 (2003)
BMW 550i M Sport Touring (2008)
Audi RS2 (1995)
Porsche Boxster S (2004)
Caterham 7 Roadsport 115 (2006)
Mercedes-Benz SLK350 (2008)
Aston Martin DB7 (1999)
Lotus Europa S (2008)
Bentley Brooklands (2008)
Mercedes-Benz CL500 (2008)
Ford Shelby GT (2008)
Toyota Supra (1996)
Mercedes-Benz SL500 (2008)
BMW M3 Convertible (2006)
Porsche 911 C4S Cabrio [996] (2005)
Porsche 911 C4 Cabrio (2008)
Honda NSX (2005)

Taken from Evo's 'The Knowledge' all* of the above have a power to weight ratio of between 200 and 210 bhp per ton, which is +/- 5 bhp per ton of the 205 that My Cup's currently at.

Almost all of that gain over standard is down to weight loss, a little from engine mods, and a lot from removing the power steering (worth 10 bhp per ton alone).

Who says removing weight/useless crap isn't worth it?

Depending on your level of commitment/deafness/insanity, removing junk is the easiest, cheapest, most beneficial all-round mod you can do...for free. It improves your fuel consumption, causes less stress on your suspension, brakes, and tyres, and gives the engine an easier time...all of which means it's a bit quicker.

Some people seem to miss the point, and I'm bored...here endeth the lesson, thanks for listening.

* NSX is actually 196 but it sneaks in as the only one from the Supercar section I could challenge ;)

Last edited:
  C63 AMG
Insanity is the key word in the original post. Whilst I agree losing weight is the cheapest and easiest way of gaining 'power' (by improving the power to weight ratio), actually doing it requires you to live without what you strip away.

And frankly, for me, 180 bhp (and air con and power steering) is more than enough power. But to have a 205bhp/ton car to play with from time to time would be fantastic.

Octavia vRS tfsi
Very impressive Mark! Certainly some commitment there, more than I would be able to match on a daily basis that's for sure!

How does the p/s have a net gain of +10bhp, that's obscene.

Golf
well done, gonna remove me rear seats when a do trackdays but thats bout it couldnt take it as far as you

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
BHP's all good but torque is a big factor imo and the only one on that list that a cup can better is probably the caterham (but that probably only weights 500kg)

Good work either way, much cheaper way of doing things

L'arctic Bleu Clio 182FF
impressive dedication, remind me not to try and go head to head with you if we are ever side by side!...

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Very impressive Mark! Certainly some commitment there, more than I would be able to match on a daily basis that's for sure!

How does the p/s have a net gain of +10bhp, that's obscene.

Lose 7 kgs, gain 7 bhp = +10 bhp per ton.

Excellent stuff Mark, what's it weigh at the min mate ?

Starting at Renault's quoted 1,021 kg kerb weight, everything I've removed or swapped has saved 117 leaving me at 904.

Turbos.
Not bad, would be good to line yours up against a few of them on a mile straight to see what would happen. I imagine the Bentley would be the most interesting as its the opposite of the Cup.

Tangoed Works
cooper s works ey... next on my list!

Ive gone from the cooper s works to the 182 and my mate has gone from the works to the trophy. Much more fun to drive. Have you driven a works?

Yeah have driven one and they are el rapido, a damn sight better built than the 182 and the harmon kardon stereo is immense.

To be fair I have had my 182 for over 2.5 years now and although they are rapid and mucho fun, I live in London and rarely get a chance to give it what it was made for.

If I lived in the peak district / north wales etc, I know there wouldnt be much to touch it.

The mini is for me a step up from the 182 and looks a lot more respectable when I meet my clients. Just having trouble finding one with everything on it at present

JCW sparco seats, pano roof, harmon kardon and either chrono pack / sat nav...aero kit are all essentials.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Not bad, would be good to line yours up against a few of them on a mile straight to see what would happen. I imagine the Bentley would be the most interesting as its the opposite of the Cup.

LOL, you know I'd get 100% humped over a mile.

I'm at 80-90 mph in less than a 1/4 mile, so after that I'm struggling against the wind, and all the others can just power on through.

I might stand a chance over a 1/4 mile against some of them.

I have a reasonable chance against most on the road where must tussles are quick squirts between say 30-100 mph.

I'd kill them all on track though ;)

tiTTy & SV650
Good effort, fair play to you have seen some of your track vids and you're certainly making the most of what you've got pissing on a lot of 'superior' cars big time.

My pugs got no power steering, unless I over inflate the front tyres lol

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If anyone's still looking, I drove Rentech Mike's 172 with no power steering and a standard steering wheel this afternoon.

F*** me, it felt like it still had power steering fitted - but then I'm used to a 350mm wheel and the standard one is quite a bit bigger.

In other words, if you're considering this...but aren't sure, and if you did you'd keep your standard wheel...DO IT!

Megane 225+
904kg IS impressive.

Can someone explain the power steering removal effect (not that I'm considering going back to my mk1 & 2 Jetta days) but,

Is it removal of actual components or removal of a power demand on the engine via a simple disconnection?

thanks

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Remove resevoir, all pipework, pump, pulley, powered rack and all the fluid...and replace that lot with a manual rack and shorter belt.

I can't tell you any more though, Rentech Mike did it all for me.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
That's really impressive work mate, well done :) Imagine embarassing some of them off the lights hehe! I know over 60 the huge power of say, the Maserati might start to give it a nice edge but heh, he spent £80k or something for that haha :D