ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

iWant and iMac

Clio 182
Herrow, I'm currently using a bogo Dell Laptop, which is ridic slow. Should I splash out on an iMac? Or just buy a better spec Windows 7 machine? Nearly bought one yesterday but stopped myself :( If I was to get one it would be the 21.5" model with 3Ghz Processor and 4GB RAM. Any advice would be immense :)

Clio 182
My bad, its still early for a student like me! My eyesight is really bad, and the 27" seemed to strain my eyes like a beast! So it's going to be the 21" if I get one :)

Glad to see the typo police out in full force :)

Crappy work hire car
I <3 my Macbook, its brilliant and so convenient to be able to take it with me when I move about! My mum has an iMac and that's brilliant too, so either would be a good choice.
With flip4mac you can run windows on your Mac anyway using Parrallels so you get the best of both worlds :)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
A 27" is a little overkill if you don't need it. I have one but it's a work machine that I use for design. I have a well-specced MacBook Pro for home use.

A Pro really is all you need for personal use. Now would be a great time to buy, since they've recently updated the hardware.

Clio 182
Yeah, well I used to run BootCamp on my old MBP, I sold it as the hard drive failed and I couldn't afford to fix it lol! So I think I'm going to take AppleCare after the first 12 months. Anyone got one of the new iMacs? Oh and does anyone know where the cheapest place to get iWork from?

Laz

If you're not bothered about extreme gaming then it's Apple all the way as long as you don't mind paying that bit extra for the style and build quality.

Apple it is then IMO. For normal personal computing, I can't ever see myself going back to a vanilla Windows PC any time in the near future.

I am a total Apple convert ever since getting an iPhone that I didn't want, and only bought for the lols. Apple FTFW!11

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I want it just to use as a piece of art.

You lol deep.

Crappy work hire car
17" Macbook.

I really don't understand why anyone would want a laptop that big, I honestly don't. Laptops are supposed to be portable - its like carrying around your bloody TV all day lol.

13" Macbook Pro ftw!

Clio 182
Back to subject? Lol!

I work better infront of a desktop than a laptop I think, It probably is just me being a homo. It's just the iMac has a better spec than say the 13" MBP that would be the alternative.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You post more than anyone else.

And he's not wrong really. Roy just doesn't take his out much.
As in more spam? :( I'm saddened.

I think 17" is cracking if you don't have a desktop. Good for videos ect...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Just use HAckintosh!!

My acer netbook runs Snowleopard and its amazing that it works (so far). Wouldnt risk it as my main Pc tho'

Crappy work hire car
Back to subject? Lol!

I work better infront of a desktop than a laptop I think, It probably is just me being a homo. It's just the iMac has a better spec than say the 13" MBP that would be the alternative.

Being a student personally I'd have a laptop - take it to the library, when you visit home and need to work etc. That's what I did. It was a godsend at essay and dissertation time too, all my research, notes, draft copies etc being on my laptop and not having to piss around formatting documents twice like when you move from Word for Mac to the older PC version Unis have. Obviously if you feel a desktop is better you should go with that, iMacs are awesome so you won't go wrong lol.

Clio 182
I do alot of my work at my flat, very rarely go home as its a ball ache! My uni uses iMacs atm, I just wanted to get it before I finish Uni in July. If I went for the MBP it would be kinda a downgrade due to screen size?

Laz

As in more spam? :( I'm saddened.

I think 17" is cracking if you don't have a desktop. Good for videos ect...

You've posted 146 times in the last 24 hours. I bet 130+ of those aren't useful..

I have a 13" screen, 22" and 42". I want 27" next. Complete my Mac set.

Clio 182
Maybe I will get the iMac for home shizzle, then when the iPad comes out.......aslong as they release an update for multitasking?

Laz

Revels Mum & Sister
You've posted 146 times in the last 24 hours. I bet 130+ of those aren't useful..

I have a 13" screen, 22" and 42". I want 27" next. Complete my Mac set.

My hero I ressurected my old Macbook AGAIN! He refuses to die.

I do want a new MBP, however I am told wedding is more important. Wedding gift cannot be a Macbook either :( Her dress including taking in would have bought a decent new MBP :( Women!

Crappy work hire car
My hero I ressurected my old Macbook AGAIN! He refuses to die.

I do want a new MBP, however I am told wedding is more important. Wedding gift cannot be a Macbook either :( Her dress including taking in would have bought a decent new MBP :( Women!

Funny how she gets a £1k+ dress and you get a <£200 suit and you're aren't allowed a MBP with the difference isn't it? Women.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, well I used to run BootCamp on my old MBP, I sold it as the hard drive failed and I couldn't afford to fix it lol! So I think I'm going to take AppleCare after the first 12 months. Anyone got one of the new iMacs? Oh and does anyone know where the cheapest place to get iWork from?

Laz

I have a 27" iMac, yeah.

I bought iWork at PC World since we have a trade account though.

Crappy work hire car
Wouldn't it be better to just buy it when you order the computer, so you get student discount on it?

Noj

Jaguar S-Type Sport
i had a 20" imac there properly good. i had both a 15" macbook pro and an iMac but had to sell it as i don't do any design work any more :( totally recommend getting one!

Clio 182
But whats the point in getting applecare for three years if I have 12 months manufacturers? Plus it will be insured on my contents, so wouldn't I be losing out on a year?

Crappy work hire car
Manufacturers doesn't cover everything, and you only get so much tech support via telephone - they bill you after that or if they find out its not an issue covered by warranty!

Clio 182
Well I have had a Mac before so wouldn't really need tech support from Apple. And if the iMac hasn't been dropped, damaged by myself then surely it would be a warranty issue?

Crappy work hire car
Fair enough, but that's a very simple way of looking at it mate. Just because it seems obvious to you that its their fault doesn't mean they'll be willing to change/repair it at the drop of a hat, they'll want to argue and debate the issue for a bit at least and then try and claim you should pay so much towards etc, same as any manufacturer.

I only had one issue with my first MB and it was a couple of years ago but I seem to remember that to get it fixed if you order online (as I think you are?) you had to call them first, and you only got X minutes worth of free talk time with the call centre where they talk you through ways of sorting it before they'll agree for you to send it in.