ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jake's Megane RS250

RB197
Hi guys!

Few of you may remember my titanium 182.

e07c3e14049c50db120883b1755dae0f.jpg

1410c55195f8300032f07236d07f83bf.jpg

6daf7ec8fe183212a534a728eb4bd8c8.jpg

Stripped, Bilstein coilovers, PMS strut brace and top mounts and a lot of other mods. Absolutely loved it and still have a soft spot for them, sold it on here after the alternator went and a fancied a change.

Picked up this 250 with both cup packs and full leathers from K-Tec back in January this year. The 98 mile drive back home was fantastic, fell in love with it straight away.

3bbf561bfda7af117f9b3f2a4206f4e1.jpg

Didn't take long for the mods to start, only started with minor things like smaller number plates, smaller aerial, black badges etc.

Then I got a K-Tec induction kit fitted in February, sounds good but can tell it will get on my nerves after some time.

Month later got the well known midbox chop, still not much has changed in the sound but pops and bangs a lot more and a lot louder. Along with that I got some H&R springs fitted, only to get rid of that horrible ride height. Luckily didn't spoil the brilliant cup chassis and body roll has been reduced but I think the only way to improve the handling is with a good set of coilovers.

7a85933e197adf17a4df4bd95639b62c.jpg

ddf114cbbfdbf2a46f1fd6ee8d5ade22.jpg

9e34bb7008ce981b6199094909a6c5b3.jpg

Can sort of hear the induction kit at the beginning of the video above

Only other stuff I've done is replace the discs and pads all round OEM with CL RC5+ front pads, I've got K-Tec braided lines and Montul RBF600 fluid to go on at the end of this month. Brakes are fantastic, the pig squealing is a little annoying but I'm hoping it'll go after a track day or two. Also had some federal RSR tyres fitted today, absolutely loved them on my clio so I thought I'd try them on the Meg.

Nothing major will be happening for a little while, I'll just be enjoying the car and getting in as many track days as possible. I have an evening booked at Snetterton for the 23rd June and hopefully going out to Bedford on the 19th August.

Plans next year if I'm still enjoying the car which I'm sure I will be.. are a set of KW V3/Clubsport coilovers, airtec intercooler and a stage 1 remap from RS Tuning.

Thanks for reading, Jake

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Very nice, I'd have gone for one of these if I didn't already have a Mk3 Megane (only a 1.5dci). Even that's fun to drive!

RB197
What extras does the ff have over the cup model?
@182jwilliams
A standard 250 withouth cup will have grey calipers.

250 FF is a 250 with cup chassis. It will still have red calipers, groved discs, LSD and because its a 250 it will have climate and leather. If it has recaros, these will be leather.

250 cup ever so slightly lighter (no real world difference). Will have "cup" on side pillar as the only exterior difference. It will also have red calipers, grooved discs. But, if it has recaros, these will be cloth. These came with A/c as standard.

So your most well spec car would be a 250FF (250+cup) with light/vis pack (xenons, folding mirrors) recaros, RS monitor, USb port, spare wheel,

Stolen off the RSMegane forum for you

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Badges on the pillars are only fitted by supplying dealer or the import centre. Mine doesnt have them but is 100% a Cup.

Only real options that are must haves are Cup and Recaro's. Anything else is a bonus TBH and majority can be retrofitted if you really wanted

RB197
Just to update this;

From the last update I didn't really touch the car as I wasn't to sure if I wanted to keep it or not. Decided I am going to keep it and do a few track days till me and the missus get our house in a few years.

Can't remember everything I done from the last post, removed rear wiper, sprayed exhuast chrome black and replaced the two front tyres (RSR). Recently took the car down to K-Tec to get their decat and intercooler fitted. Decat is the best thing I've done to the car as of yet. Not really got a proper video of it yet but I'm sure people have heard them on youtube etc, sound a lot better in person though.

I also fitted a boost gauge just after Christmas mainly to make sure I have no leaks. Was a right pain to do and wish I had never started it! But finally got it all sorted

7adfd4c8f0ab8081349e4e7ece7e8838.jpg

Back down to K-Tec on Thursday to get the following done;
Coilovers
Set up
Stud and nut kit
Braided lines
Brake fluid

I was set on a set of AST 5100's, Curtis' customer service was absolutely shocking so decided not to go with them and ordered a set of KW clubsports from France as it worked out around the same price I was getting the AST's for.

4eaee9e48c238954a600e2a0e1d9d331.jpg

I have also booked the car in at RS Tuning for the end of next month for the following;
Belts
Service
Remap

Seriously looking forward to getting the car back once it's mapped, will be a different animal!

Looking forward to Bedford next week too, especially with what's being fitted Thursday.

Nothing else I want to do after the above plans besides getting the wheels refurbed and maybe a front end respray. Going to be a few expensive months but will be worth it and will be a very good car once it's all done.

415af84b727764a05c17bb231280f015.jpg

Thanks for reading

Civic FN2 Track Car
Really liking the look of this, good to see the mods coming thick and fast.

I would be weary of the k-tec stud and nut kit a guy on the megane forum recently had some and the studs snap on track and he lost a wheel going through paddock hill bend at brands hatch.

I would be looking at the PMS kit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nice car

I'm looking at springs maybe, not sure if the H&R's are a little too low for factory dampers, i was thinking eibach possibly. (i'd probably get some B14's but i hardly use the car as it i) Also going to de chrome the exhaust trim, not a fan.

RB197
Really liking the look of this, good to see the mods coming thick and fast.

I would be weary of the k-tec stud and nut kit a guy on the megane forum recently had some and the studs snap on track and he lost a wheel going through paddock hill bend at brands hatch.

I would be looking at the PMS kit.
Thank you mate.

I saw what happened to Matts megane it did put me off a little bit but still went ahead with it lol. Fingers Crossed ;)

Didn't know pms do the kit for meg 3
Nice car

I'm looking at springs maybe, not sure if the H&R's are a little too low for factory dampers, i was thinking eibach possibly. (i'd probably get some B14's but i hardly use the car as it i) Also going to de chrome the exhaust trim, not a fan.
Thanks.

I've had H&R springs on for around a year now and it's been fine. I've heard if you lower the cars more than 30mm you need driveshaft spacers, I spoke to Floyd at ktec and his is on the lowest on kw v3's and he hasn't fitted any driveshaft spacers nor have they fitted any to the customers cars. The chrome exhaust surround looks awful imo

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
If your lower it excessively you get heavy vibrations at high revs due to the angle the shafts sit at. Ive got a spacer on mine but the extra camber from the likes of the Clubsport kit will help

RB197
If your lower it excessively you get heavy vibrations at high revs due to the angle the shafts sit at. Ive got a spacer on mine but the extra camber from the likes of the Clubsport kit will help
I only plan to go an extra 5mm lower than I currently am. That's good to know the extra camber will help, cheers

RB197
Picked the car up from K-Tec this morning, cracking service once again. Seriously can't recommend them enough, I wish I had more money to keep going back there lol! Really enjoy the drive down to, lovely roads and especially on the way back this morning car felt stuck to the road!

d3bf9c67fb5d10164948286b881073e1.jpg

Anyway pulled up to find my car the first one on the end, definitely looked a lot lower, running -2 degree camber up front wheel stud kit brakes feel a lot better with the lines and fluid. All that's left to do now is wait till Bedford next week, the stuff that's getting done at RST, get the wheels refurbed. I would like a new set of wheels to fill the arches (I've heard spacers ruin the handling) but I'll see how much money.

I've only got the one picture of how the car sits at the moment, I'll get some more in the week or at Bedford.

a0d0675ee42ce834486e969ff2cfa24b.jpg

RB197
Was at Bedford yesterday and the car felt amazing! I was a little scared with the brakes at first and was braking far too early but as the day went on I got more confident and was flying round!

ea2c9b300f436264977f21607ed33015.jpg

2eb1fb177ed2c2270adfe1a88e8418f9.jpg

3255a9800fd70a23e8be4d4d6a89e0b9.jpg

28b583ec0121f2d73f6f9d1e5dae1b39.jpg

830d5f4fd36cd27e25a4fd7ad81b1d5f.jpg

d967db4f1e9100b6913b3f72464f3582.jpg

Coilovers were spot on really happy with how they were set up. I'm going to get another set of wheels to use on track soon. I plan to do an evening at donington at the beginning on May so hopefully get them on before then!

Unfortunately no video. My suction mount for my phone was new and I have never used it before and it was shaking far too much and for some reason my kit vision camera mount wasn't sticking! Will get a proper mount for the kit vision in time for donington.

Thanks for reading

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good Josh!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Bilsteins for something a bit more focused later this year, Nitrons/clubsports or similar

RB197
Looks good Josh!

I'm thinking of upgrading my Bilsteins for something a bit more focused later this year, Nitrons or similar
Jake* haha ;-)

I sort of wish I got nitrons tbh mate but as I use the car everyday the clubsports are ok on the road and a lot better than I thought on track. I'm very happy with them. Will be binning the RSR's once they've gone though lol.

Was suppose to message you actually, where have you mounted your harnesses to? I know where in the back but are you using eye bolts? I was all over the place and don't really want to go bucket seat route haha

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm pretty sure I typed Jake LOL!

Clubsports are good tbh, but knowing first hand what Nitrons are like I would rather them, especially now the euro isn't as weak and the £1400 clubsports are now not far off Nitrons haha.

Rear belts are on eyebolts to where the original mounting points for seats and belts are, same as where the Trophy has them mounted, Shall be getting a harness bar welded in soon though, inner lap belt and crotch straps are on eyelets that have been welded in with spreader plate etc and the outer is just on a bracket to where the seat belt mounts

RB197
I'm pretty sure I typed Jake LOL!

Clubsports are good tbh, but knowing first hand what Nitrons are like I would rather them, especially now the euro isn't as weak and the £1400 clubsports are now not far off Nitrons haha.

Rear belts are on eyebolts to where the original mounting points for seats and belts are, same as where the Trophy has them mounted, Shall be getting a harness bar welded in soon though, inner lap belt and crotch straps are on eyelets that have been welded in with spreader plate etc and the outer is just on a bracket to where the seat belt mounts

That damn auto correct ha!

Yeah I got my clubsports from France but paid just over £1500 iirc, delivery weren't that bad, better than Curtis anyway haha.

Cheers for clearing up the harness points, I will look into that hopefully get some sorted before the next track day

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I cancelled my order of adjustable top mounts from him, 2 months on and still no sign. Spoke to AST direct and they have them in stock, and for less than he wanted lol, still not sure if I'll bother though if I'm upgrading eventually.

I ran a harness on my Recaros for trackdays as well, much better than the seat belt, saying that a cg lock works wonders

RB197
I cancelled my order of adjustable top mounts from him, 2 months on and still no sign. Spoke to AST direct and they have them in stock, and for less than he wanted lol, still not sure if I'll bother though if I'm upgrading eventually.

I ran a harness on my Recaros for trackdays as well, much better than the seat belt, saying that a cg lock works wonders
I wouldn't bother mate if you're going nitrons, those coilovers are so good looking! Think I was waiting 6 weeks for my AST's (he said they'd be ready for delivery in 2 weeks) before I ordered my clubsports. Chuffed with the kw's and luckily I didn't give Curtis my money!

I was thinking a cg lock I'll see what sort of change I've got closer the time

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus, its a shame they have so poor customer service here as the products are properly good. I'll see, I want more camber for our Ring trip but tbh there are more important things needed, like brakes and tyres haha

RB197
Jesus, its a shame they have so poor customer service here as the products are properly good. I'll see, I want more camber for our Ring trip but tbh there are more important things needed, like brakes and tyres haha
I said this to another guy who also ordered a set for his meg 3, ordered his couple weeks before me and he got his set Thursday! Which pads you running/going to run?

RB197
I run Carbotech pads, very aggressive and ruin wheels/paint and discs but I like them as they suit me well
I may stick to my rc5's and maybe run some yellow stuff on the rears or something, I need to be more confident in braking as soon as I hear 'brake fade' in briefing it puts me off haha

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Don't bother with yellows on the rear, not much better than oem pads really. First thing I done when I bought mine was RC5+s all round, Brilliant performance for fast Road and track days but they just don't cut it for me now haha

RB197
Don't bother with yellows on the rest, not any better than oem pads really. First thing I done when I bought mine was RC5 all round, Brilliant performance for fast Road and track days but they just don't cut it for me now haha
Haha! When they need replacing I'll try rc5's all round, cheers mate

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Keeps it a lot more balanced under brakes as well, Especially if you go more aggressive on the front but Imo the RC5 is as strong a pad as you want to go on the rear

RB197
Keeps it a lot more balanced under brakes as well, Especially if you go more aggressive on the front but Imo the RC5 is as strong a pad as you want to go on the rear
Makes sense really, what about rc6's up front? Will have some track wheels on so not to bothered if it ruins them lol

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not a fan of the RC6s as I personally find them quite grabby, loads rate them very highly though so you certainly won't go wrong with them