ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JC5-130 rebuild.

Clio_Ben

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Clio Cup
Im thinking about rebuilding my JC5-130 gearbox and fitting an LSD. I was wondering if there is an in depth repair manual/guide for doing a gearbox rebuild and what/ if any special tools i would need.
TIA

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just had mine done at Agency transmissions - for £350 (might have been £375??) for literally everything I decided I couldn't do it for less once I'd faffed about and bought/made tools. If I had like 5 to do do I would have done it. But no point for one.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Just had mine done at Agency transmissions - for £350 (might have been £375??) for literally everything I decided I couldn't do it for less once I'd faffed about and bought/made tools. If I had like 5 to do do I would have done it. But no point for one.

They do a decent enough job, but £350 would only just about cover 3rd and 4th gears, synchros, hubs.

Take 'everything' with a pinch of salt.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I quizzed him pretty heavily. Claims to have done 3/4th gears, all syncros, all bearings, all seals. The gearbox was getting a weak 3rd syncro, he quoted £150 to just sort that. I'm happy so far. Its stopped leaking like a sieve from the selector shaft too and has a new selector boot which I wasn't expecting. Naturally now I've given a positive review it'll go to s**t tomorrow. Not saying use him over Northloop but I'm happy.

Literally everything might have been too far - but I'm not sure what else you would want/likely to want to do on these if they aren't in a right state?

Rob,

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Im thinking about rebuilding my JC5-130 gearbox and fitting an LSD. I was wondering if there is an in depth repair manual/guide for doing a gearbox rebuild and what/ if any special tools i would need.
TIA

But if your adamant about doing the job your self, there is a Renault manual kicking about on the net and a few good threads which cover it well on other forums. I 'think' I might have a copy of the Renault gearbox procedure somewhere the computer. If you can't find it drop me a PM and I'll take a look. From what I can see its not rocket science at all, similar to any other FWD 5 speed from the era but some of the pullers are fairly specific - some people have succeed in modifying pullers however others have chipped gear teeth using them.

Eventually I just came to the conclusion that I had better things to spend time fixing on the car and it was nice to be able to get on with them while someone else sorted the box.

Clio_Ben

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Clio Cup
But if your adamant about doing the job your self, there is a Renault manual kicking about on the net and a few good threads which cover it well on other forums. I 'think' I might have a copy of the Renault gearbox procedure somewhere the computer. If you can't find it drop me a PM and I'll take a look. From what I can see its not rocket science at all, similar to any other FWD 5 speed from the era but some of the pullers are fairly specific - some people have succeed in modifying pullers however others have chipped gear teeth using them.

Eventually I just came to the conclusion that I had better things to spend time fixing on the car and it was nice to be able to get on with them while someone else sorted the box.
Sound, cheers mate. Will let you if know if i decide to do it. But by reading these i probably wont

182 trophy
Just reading over this and what's the general cost of a gearbox refresh and a mod to take the Quaiffe or RSX diff. I have no problems with the gearbox but would want any known weak links changing before a diff went in.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Just reading over this and what's the general cost of a gearbox refresh and a mod to take the Quaiffe or RSX diff. I have no problems with the gearbox but would want any known weak links changing before a diff went in.

Mine was roughly £1600.

That was ~£1000 for the Quaife and then 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gears/synchros.

Definitely go to @NorthloopCup , but maybe also consider a Gripper plated diff if you use the car on track, particularly tight twisty tracks.
The gripper has been worth at least a second a lap on my car, and makes up for at least 70bhp deficit on a track with short straights.
Cost pretty much the same as James quoted above.
No idea what your particular application is, so if not relevant please ignore:)

Compared to a Quaife, or standard open diff?
Only compared to standard in my own experience, and I'm sure any difference over Quaife would be a lot less than a second.
(This is on short 50 second lap of Lydden Hill, so a very decent gain)
But one of the main reasons for choosing the plated diff over geared was that some of the Saxo drivers I race against had replaced their geared LSDs for plated and were getting better lap times around Brands Hatch Indy and Lydden Hill.
I'm absolutely no expert and unsure of the science, but I think that in really tight hard corners if the inside driven wheel lifts to a point of almost no contact you maintain drive with the plated diff, but a geared diff will lose drive at that point.
I'm quite happy to be corrected on this by those a lot more knowledgeable.