ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jl audio sound system / fuses? agu anl????

clio
Hi iv hooked up two jl audio v3's to a 1000/1 jl audio amplifier, how ever when ever i try to pump the subs, the amp will cut out or the fuse will blow, im pretty sure im running a 4gauge wiring kit with a 60agu glass fuse.

I know i should idealy be using a 100anl fuse, but this is a blade type fuse would this mean i have to change my whole wiring system so i can a fit blade 100agu fuse

Any help and advice would be much appericiated thanks. :)

Ph1 172
I would be inclined to run 2gauge power cable with a 250/300AMP fuse next to battery and a 100AMP fuse near the install.

Mk2 172
Hi iv hooked up two jl audio v3's to a 1000/1 jl audio amplifier, how ever when ever i try to pump the subs, the amp will cut out or the fuse will blow, im pretty sure im running a 4gauge wiring kit with a 60agu glass fuse.

I know i should idealy be using a 100anl fuse, but this is a blade type fuse would this mean i have to change my whole wiring system so i can a fit blade 100agu fuse

Any help and advice would be much appericiated thanks. :)

60 amp fuse is too small. 80 amp absolute minimum on a 4 gauge cable running that amp. yes the anl fuse is a bolt in fuse and will require a different fuse holder.

Mk2 172
I would be inclined to run 2gauge power cable with a 250/300AMP fuse next to battery and a 100AMP fuse near the install.

no need to fuse both ends. under bonnet will be just fine :)
4 gauge absolute minimum with that amp tho!!

clio
Iv checked my wiring and luckily i did buy a 4gauge wire, so all i need to do now is buy a anl fuse maybe a 150 amp anl fuse and buy the right fuse holder?

Will a 150anl fuse be sufficent, so that it dosent explode or make the amp cut out? the rest of the wiring is fine. perfect earth wire length etc

Mk2 172
Iv checked my wiring and luckily i did buy a 4gauge wire, so all i need to do now is buy a anl fuse maybe a 150 amp anl fuse and buy the right fuse holder?

Will a 150anl fuse be sufficent, so that it dosent explode or make the amp cut out? the rest of the wiring is fine. perfect earth wire length etc

150 anl fuse is more than adequate.

clio
Thanks dan, you got a great knowledge of car audio! it's not the first advice iv taken from you! cheers!

Polo + Micra
don't put more than a 120A fuse on 4 AWG you could live to regret it

in the 1000/1 manual it states you need a 100A anl fuse

vaux cavalier

:lolup:Thanks for ^^that^^ mate, made me eject my morning coffee through my nose....

Morning mate,

I think your missing the point, or rather not considering all the mitigating circumstances....

When supplying power to the boot your main aim is always safety, however, safety doesn't equate to performance....

Performance will be affected by many different variables....

With safety in mind your current wiring scenario is fine, (although your fuse ratings are a little high), with performance in mind it's sadly inadequate....

If you wire your install with electrical performance in mind, then safety will be guaranteed....

The ratio between output volume, (to the ear), and output power, (amplifier output), is logarithmic....Due to this, resistance induced voltage drop is a thing to avoid....Losing power supply voltage in this manner is at best, losing you output, at worst, forcing your amp into clip....In severe cases where voltage dips too low amplifier damage will occur....

Unfortunately I can't offer a possible wiring scenario because I have no idea what you actually plan on running in the future, (always wire in accordance to future plans), but, if you supply this info I will....

Just to add,
4awg at 12' in length will suffer a 0.5v dip at an 80amp draw....
Manufacturers Amp wiring recommendations are based on 'Minimum' requirements....
An 80amp fuse won't blow at 81amps, more like a surge approaching 160amps....