ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jon's Trackday PH1 172 project thread

172, Tiguan
Ph1 head. Standard cams. 172 Cup bottom end. RS lower inlet. Cup alt setup. Wrapped manifold. Cat-back exhaust, cat still in place. Custom induction.

172, Tiguan
Collected the car from storage where it has gained another years mot ;) Whilst there the car was also weighed and with 1/4 tank of fuel it weighs 972kgs, thats with nobody in it.

It has developed an annoying misfire having been sat in the cold for so long. Plugged it in and it came up with injector 3. I've swapped it out for a replacement but i've yet to road test it.

I've also re-insured it again for another year. Competition Car insurance reduced last years policy but a bit of shopping round and Greenlight and Classicline both beat them. Classicline were slightly cheaper so I settled for them, but Greenlight did provide a great quote. All mods insured as well. :)

172, Tiguan
It's a 45 degree bend mate, purchased through eBay. 70mm diameter. The filter is on the end of it? - unless I've misunderstood?

172, Tiguan
Ah! That could well have been eBay again, though it could've been through Ramair. I think it was about £30 ish.

172, Tiguan
The little Clio has undergone some 'changes' in the last few months. More soon. Being mapped on Monday I believe.

Trophy Turbo :)
The little Clio has undergone some 'changes' in the last few months. More soon. Being mapped on Monday I believe.

your a BAD BAD MAN :) teasing all the Boys :)
IMG_20130701_214253_zpse5ecb3a7.jpg

Would be rude not to tease more Tshhh :)

Clio 172
Just re read this thread and i do like this car, makes me want to paint my front and rear bumper silver as a negative of your car.

172, Tiguan
Little update that is well overdue.

The car had developed a small oil leak that I wanted to get sorted. Very fortunatly AndyRG lives down the road from me and we'd been chatting about a few things so I took the car up to his and left it with him. The leak was coming from the back of the sump and it turned out we'd pinched the gasket when fitting it originally. It'd been fine for a year or so, but it had begun dropping a few drips on the garage floor. Sadly we'd done the sump bolts up far to tight so a drill had to be used to remove the bolts! Nightmare. Sorry Andy!

Whilst the car was with Andy I purchased a set of Weber Alpha throttle bodies. Not the height of modern technology, but for the price i paid a complete bargain. Andy and I set about sorting them out and we got the car up and running on the old Weber Alpha management that came with the bodies. It ran, just, but it didn't run very well. The car needed mapping but it soon turned out that nobody bothers to pay Weber the licence to map this ecu anymore.

I finally decided to go for an adaptronic ecu (http://adaptronic.com.au/products/e420d.html ) after much deliberating. We've made up a new loom from scratch which took a while, but it all looks pretty neat and Andy has done a great job on it. Theres just a couple of wires still to connect up (lambda) but it fired up first time I'm told. (I was off getting married at the time).

Fast forward about 4 weeks and I started fitting the trumpets and the filter. I'd had quite a few problems sourcing trumpets that would fit as the Weber barrels have a rolled lip at the end and no mounting points for trumpets. Weber supply some poly tube things which i'd bought, but they weren't up to much.

I'd tried to get some bespoke brackets made up to join the Weber barrels to Jenvey style trumpets, but even though a couple of people valiantly tried to help, the cost was a problem. In the end I got some pricey 50mm diameter trumpets shipped from Thailand and crossed my fingers. Sadly they didn't fit due to the rolled lip being 52mm. 5 mins of looking at it annoyed out came the air tools and i spent the next 90 mins grinding off the rolled lip. It was quite a worrying thing to do, but i'm happy to say it worked OK. Trumpets fitted, we cut the filter back plate and then fitted the Pipercross filter. It's quite big, but the bonnet just about closes. I'd already fitted the Polo rad and slimline fan when we originally fitted the bodies.

We finished off by mounting the new coilpack properly.

The following evening Andy's friend Andrew and I spent a few hours mapping the car on the road. Varying speeds, traffic, full power etc, but I found the whole thing fascinating. The car is very smooth and pulls very well. I'm well chuffed. I believe Andrew wants to get into mapping Clios (he's very well known in the Subaru/Evo world) and I'd recommend him highly. Andy and I are in the process of sorting out a decat and a lambda sorted as the car currently has the cat in place, and then Andrew is going to tweak the map again for me. We're then going to do a seperate dyno day later in the summer, probably after I do Goodwood on August.

I've tidyed a few things up since these pictures, but it gives you an idea of how it looks (the old Weber idle valve has been removed as well).

null_zpsee517bbd.jpg

null_zps8a66c7d0.jpg

IMG_2943_zps9d76972b.jpg

null_zps20b9fd14.jpg

I've brought the car to work today which was good fun, but it's not keen on the speed bumps here! The throttle pedal is also massively stiff, but I've just fitted 2 brand new Weber return springs, so I might remove one and see what happens.

Big thanks to Andy for all his continued help with the car. :)

172, Tiguan
Probably Mark. Induction is quite loud. The exhaust is pretty quiet at the moment, but it'll be a bit louder with the decat.

172, Tiguan
Slightly different at Goodwood. They'll noise test it at the start of the day at 2/3rd revs which I suspect it'll be fine on. There are three microphones around the track which are on all the time. The one that usually trips out is out of the final chicane when the car is under full load. It's about 3/4 m from the car.

Clio 172
I got shown the noise board at Bedfors but the exhaust had come apart between the manifold and front pipe so it did sound like a V8 and was very very loud in the cabin.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
You'll be just fine with those ITBs. The Weber Alpha stuff is really good. They get a lot of bad press but that's only because the ECUs are locked and only certain places can map it. The make (IMO) the best Duratec kit on the market.

Glad to hear your getting on ok with the Adaptronic ECU. I did have a DTA S40 I was going to use but I've sold that and I'll be going for the Adaptronic 420d fitted and mapped by Chris (Scoff) at EFI parts.

172, Tiguan
Cheers! Yep, Chris has been really helpful so far! Just waiting on an answer from him at the moment actually!

172, Tiguan
Small update from the weekend:

Tidied up the bay.

null_zpscf86a0f4.jpg

30mm extra rear track and additional 2 deg of camber

null_zpse473bf06.jpg

null_zps66be132f.jpg

null_zps939a6244.jpg

Swapped front spacers from the heavy steel versions to lighter alloy versions. They are quite a bit lighter.

Miltek decat ordered.

Sump is leaking again, albeit very, very slowly, so that'll need investigating further.

Removed one of the throttle return springs to try and make the throttle easier to push. I can't heal and toe at the mo, it's too stiff. Stabbed my finger with a screwdriver.

Good progress today!

172, Tiguan
Yeah, I've never read up on removing it, but its on the to do list at some point.

Flip flops are the future Andy! Sliced my finger in two, bled like a b*****d!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yeah, I've never read up on removing it, but its on the to do list at some point.

It's just the small filter you have on the top on the oil separator is now the inlet to the carbon canister rather than the inlet manifold so you can do away with both.