ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

juddering mk1 RSi

Hi guys and gals, hoping someone has an idea of whats going on here... On acceleration, i get juddering from what feels like the whole car, and could possibly be coming from the front passenger side (is what it looks like, plus the tyre wear is dodgy). Its more noticable at lower speed, but doesnt happen if im coasting at constant speed. Also, theres a clunking sound when making right turns at low speed. Ive changed the driveshaft and wishbone, tyres have been changed so its not the wheel balance! The cars not lowered or had any suspension mods either. Please help cos its driving me absolutely mental as i cant sell my car and get a 182 (if it doesnt look as naff as it does in the only pics i can find!). Thanks

Could be the CV joints. Do a three point turn or park it in a tight spot, if there is a clunking sound as you turn the wheel then thats probably it. Feel inside your front wheels, if they are full of grease then CV boots have gone and there is your problem. Might be something completely different though...

Thanks for the tip, but replaced passenger side driveshaft which comprises the cv joint a couple of weeks ago, and the other side was done fairly recently too. Just cant figure it out!

Mazda MX5 1.8

ill tell ya what my "clunking" turned out to be! MY EXHAUST! i only found this out when i changed it but i think ur exhasut may be sitting too close to the edge of the channel and so when u go around the corner it "clunks" against the channel wall ( kinda just under where u sit) - i know it doesnt sound like it when ur in the car but just make sure as it may be something trivial as mine turned out to be - sounds exactly the same

it may of just been a coincidence that it stopped when i changed my exhaust but its worth a try!

as for the juddering...... i used to get it (have a brand new 1.6 now) and i am yet to find out what it was!

Yeah checked all the susp parts and changed suspect parts but its not sorted it! Annoying to say the least. The clunking is partly the exhaust but theres something else clunking too... anyone want to buy an RSi???

are you running standard alloys? when i put phase 2 alloys on my rsi they would catch on the sideskirt on the front left and cause a nasty clunking sound when i was turning round sharp left hand corners.

what about an engine mount?

It has got phase 2 alloys, but its not that thats clunking cos it did do that already but this is something else! Its the juddering thing no-one can seem to shed any light on! Thought about an engine mount will check it out. Cheers

I have this at the moment as well and have also replaced driveshaft (thought it was cv joints as well) - turns out my dogbone engine mount is broken which is getting fixed on thursday so hopefully thatll be it!

Thanks for that one! Will definately be having a look at that this weekend. Let me know if it fixes the problem if u can pls!

check the torque on hub nuts. I forgot to totally tighten one once, and cause driveshaft was not totally flush with hub, it caused a really weird vibration under acceleration. Just an idea, youll know youself

ex Clio 172 owner :(

ClioChris is def right with the exhaust. Get it up on a ramp and look under. The exhaust bangs against the gearbox mount. It drove me mad for ages. Easily fixed by bending pipe or cutting a wee bit off edge of gear box mount. Common problem. Only when you turn right, rumbling, all the symptons mine had. Sounds a bit far fetched thinking an exhaust causes that kind of noise but garage bent exhaust and no more rumble.

Right got the car back with the new engine mount - it has made a hellova difference but the problem is still there so i think its the other driveshaft on mine :( My mechanic said theres some kinda of sealant near the end of it which sounds suspect - probably been some kindof bodged repair....

...best of luck m8

Thanks for lettin us know. Hmmmm this thing definately is a puzzler. Both my driveshafts were replaced, pass side month ago the other one bout a year ago - unless its knackered again and the mounts knackered too. Tipping down with rain cant be bothered looking at it today, maybe tomorrow... ill be driving this car for the rest of my life at this rate...!

Aargh, its the exhaust hitting the gearbox mount. End of argument. Get it checked. Im trying to save you the year of bamboozlement I had.

Im not disputing the exhaust making the rumbling thing but that cant be the cause of the juddering, which is the main problem! Sounds like someone else has a similar problem (the "calling all mechanics" thread)

I must be talking in a foreign language. This was discussed yonks ago on here. Can anyone actually hear me? Hello? hello..(echo)

(see my reply higher up)

I know you were mainly concerned with the juddering. Im talking mainly about the clunking, caused by exhuast when turning right.

By the way mine juddered a bit now that I think on (doh!) I replaced the drive shafts on both sides at a cost of £160 in total. Made no difference. Replaced gear box mount and was bit better though it needed a new injector as it ran rough at idle and caused it to rev higher. Didnt get this fixed as I traded it in in the state it was.

(Sorry I completely forgot about having the driveshafts done!)

thanks lad, will hopefully get al this juddery clunky nonsense sorted after everyones advice. maybe i should be under the car rather than on the internet

still aint fixed it yet although it sounds like badboy_mcs motor (who was having a similar type of problem) has unfortunately broken in some way, wonder if that will shed any light on the judddddder issue?