ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Judders, Misfires, Bumps and Rain!

Clio 1.2 16V
Just drove into work this morning with zero problems in heavy rain and parked up, finished work 5 hours later got back in the car started it up with no problems again but the gearbox felt like it was juddering @ idle. I was a little worried but because of the weather and i wanted to get home and sort it out there, so set off, now the juddering was really scary and i wasn't getting consistent power, misfiring at all rev ranges it didn't like 1st or 2nd at all.

Now i've read about common problems with the clio and this description but they also came with a ECU light or something on the dashboard but i don't get any warning light at all, i do get the normal starting lights and everything was ok on the dash when i started it; so i'm wondering if maybe a sensor has gone somewhere and possibly the coils or the weather has just taken its toll on the electrics? I really do think it is the weather because the judder comes and goes while driving i thought at first it was just the cold start but it was really bad misfiring through the gears felt like my exhaust was dropping off than it smoothed out but came back again later on.

Something that did alarm me at first was i filled it up last night to 3/4 but its a bit of a coincedence what with the weather and all and with this being a common fault on the clios especially with the descriptions, only thing that differs is i don't get any warning light.

Can also recall driving through a huge puddle which soaked my bonnet and windscreen on the way to work this morning so i reckon thats whats done it, would explain the ECU light not showing since its been raining all day and it wouldn't of dried off. I'm going to try later or tomorrow and hopefully it'll stop raining and dry off a little but will see, otherwise i'm going to have to get it to a mechanics and get it on a computer. Any ideas on this would be appreciated.

Last edited:
  Clio 1.2 16V
Right, checked it this morning exact same problem, gearbox is juddering and i'm losing power going through the gears without giving it some flooring. Going to get it on a computer hopefully tomorrow if not wednesday don't think TDC shows on the computers so will probably get it replaced anyway to be safe otherwise if an error code doesnt come up i'm at the mercy of the garage. :( Is it possible that it could be bad petrol? Filled her up from almost the red line the other day so maybe i got a dodgy batch and the fuel filters clogged up with rubbish or something since the problem does go away and come back quite a lot while driving. Will see what the garage computer says.

I doubt its bad petrol! Most liley to be water in engine connectors or around the HV side. Does sound simliar to TDC sensor failing of MAP sensor but could be a red herring as you got the engine soaking wet. If you take off the plug leads and clear all the connectors out of any moisture (does not take much to mess up the electrics, only a bit of moisture) and use WD40 or another HDF20 cleaner / connector sealer and that will help clear the moisture and erradicate future problems too.

Takes an AWFUl lot of crud to knacker a fuel filter, and I mean heaps - I have seen fuel filters covered in grime, grunge and sludge and still the car has operated perfectly!

I am currently chasing a stalling issue on a 1.2 16v and have got knowhere as it is soo very intermintent - at least your problem will be easy to diagnose / resolve!

Titanium 182
Don't take this as given cos im only 18 and don't understand everything about cars but the symptoms sound similar to what my last car (106) did

It was missfiring and juddering exhaust sounded like it had fallen off etc and it was always doing it when it was raining or cold. What fixed it for me was a new ignition coil, My uncle works at alba tyres and he had a megane which had a problem with its ignition coil i think. There about £40-£50 i think thats how much the one for my 106 was anyway. Sorted it straight away and was easy to change too.

Could be nothing to do with it but just trying to give a suggestion : )

//James

Coil pack most liky is damaged/wet get new ones.

£30 each i think you can find out which is fautly though do a search on here and will tell you how.

Clio 1.2 16V
Took it to the garage yesterday and it came back with 0 fault codes but it was actually driving ok so thought nothing of it. This morning though it was a no starter, engine turned but it didn't fire. :( Reckon the coil packs gone or as the mechanic told me my plugs are really worn and they've gone so going to get everything replaced tonight. Its more than likely the TDC sensor since that could of caused the judders and its known for causing start problems so going to get that fixed too.. fingers crossed.

Last edited:
  1.4 16v Clio
any update on this? my cars having the exact same symtoms as urs, was fine when i parked up then 20 mins later i have these problems.