ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just bought a Cup

Just come back from Renault London West having bought a brand new Clio Cup with only 11 miles on the clock.

I phoned them up earlier in the week and they said they had 3 left in stock. All blue and without climate control. They were all listed at £10990

I went up there today and after stating that I was in a position to buy immediately. The salesman had a word with his boss and said it was £10250 if bought before the end of the month. They obviously want their sales figures looking better.

This £10250 did not include any extras however hard I tried. I have had to pay the car tax too. It is still a really good price though for a new car which although I will be the 2nd owner is brand new and has 2 1/2 years warranty left.

They still have two left is anyone else is interested. Also the Cup badges were on the door pillars and the front spoiler was on the rear seats which will be fitted for me.

All I need to do now is pick it up next Tuesday! I cant wait! Anything I should check when I pick it up?

Tim

That is one hell of a lot of car for the money - youll love it.

Paintwork is probably the only thing id check very carefully - everything else is more easily rectified.

I want another brand new Cup now!!!

Yeah I have heard about the paintwork so will check it out. It is having the full pre-sales inspection prior to me picking it up but hearing stories on hear about Renault I dont know how thorough this is.

I think it is a brilliant price for such a good car. Even though I will officially be the 2nd owner with Renault UK as the 1st it is a great price!

Tim

Yeah I can see how it must be tempting cos if you look on Auto Trader there are loads of Cups costing more money with around 10k miles on.

Tim

Well Im happy with the price I paid so I guess thats what is important. Where did you get yours from Toonboy if you dont mind me asking? Mine was from West London Renault.

Tim

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

Tim, had my cup for a month now, I love it...just hate the admiring "glances" from the pikey or scally or charver generation!!! I just seem to find too many people pull out in front of you while driving, and too many Punto drivers want to take you on...(God only knows why, when theyre absolutely gash!!!)

Anyway, youll love it when the revs hit about 4.5K...as the little kick up the butt is great, enjoy!!!

I cant wait to get the car off the forecourt on Tuesday. The salesman said it is best to work the engine hard from day one so I will be doing that! He said that his boss did this with his Cup and the engine was as sweet as a nut and putting out really good power.

Tim

182, GTR, C63

im not sure about working the engine hard from day 1 that sounds like a load of b*ll*cks tbh. Im sure youll have a lot of fun i do. Advice dont break in corners unless you know wot your doing and sign up as a member ASAP. The salesman is talking out of his ass run the car in mate. I had no choice but to break the otherday while cornering and had a scary sideways moment just thought id add that in there.

Whats the best advice to run the engine in then? You need to use varying revs dont you and not labour the engine?

Tim

work your engine hard from day 1???? what the f**k the salesman is talking bollox yes if u thrash the engine from new it will get loose and produce good power, rev freely etc etc but by about 25000 miles it will be in the same condition as an engine thats been looked after and done 150000miles! For the sake of about 2bhp remember your engine will be filled with low quality running in oil which will be changed on the 1st service ive got to run my renault 5 in for 1500 miles the engine really feels tight only an idiot thrashes an engine from new or thrashing from cold. If you ever build an engine up or see one after its gone BANG you will maybe have some mechanical sympathy.if the salesman told u to thrash from new please tell me the redg of your new car so i can stay clear when looking for a used car. Punch the salesman in the face ! this has really pissed me off w**ker salesman.

Laguna

Well when I got my 172 I visited Renault after being told from Motorpoint the same thing here. I was told from Motorpoint (who are just sales people and seem to know nothing about cars which I found out) "Yeah modern engines these days dont need running in, you will be fine rag it and get the most out of it", anyway nipped into Renault to have a word and they said, "take your time, you look a young lad (LOL!) take it easy for 1500 miles or so and try not to take it above 4k." They obviously thought I was a right racer, mind you at the time was already asking what mods I can do under the warrenty hehe.

I dont think I will punch the salesman in the face as he seemed an ok guy but I will make sure I run the engine in properly. I was of the opinion that the engine should be run in but he was insistent that you dont need to.

What is the best procedure for running it in then? When should the oil be changed first cos the 12k service seems quite a long time away. Also what grade oil is used in the car?

Tim

just dont go bouncing it off of the limiter in all gears until youve 5 or 6 hundred miles on the clock. they told me just to take it easy for 500 miles to let eveything bed in properly. remember its not just the engine that is new. have fun.

Tim,

I am on my 2nd Cup now, and I ragged the 1st one from day 1. It had 18k on it when I got rid of it, but it rattled and squeeked (interior and suspension mainly) like a mouse getting reemed.

My new one was run in properly - never above 3000rpm for about 500miles and then never above 6000rpm til over 1000miles. It now has 3.5k on it and I have never been happier with a car. Still feels as quick as my old one, but without the rattles! Resist the temptation at 1st and you will love it.

Tim, i know its hard to restrain yourself but see if you can run it in for a good 1k, all i did was drive for 4 hours on the motorway. Occasionally when the engine was really warm i couldnt resist taking it up there on one or two occasions. But this was after about 700miles. I personally tried to take it easy for 1500 miles, although by 1300 i was feeling a lot more comfortable with taking it up there. Ive now just done 7k on it and had it since christmas (took delivery on christmas eve - what a present :))

Im considering changing the oil now although im not sure. I think its fully synthetic, sure its in the manual somewhere. Just know that your gonna really love it! Enjoy!

Now Im pissed just bought a Dynamique for £9k and for that lil bit extra I coulda had a sexy Cup would never get insured though.

What I plan to do is under 3,000rpm till 600 miles, then upto 4,000rpm to 900 miles, upto 5000rpm till 1200 miles and then gun it!

Tim

Quote: Originally posted by CUP80Y on 28 May 2004

That is one hell of a lot of car for the money - youll love it.

Paintwork is probably the only thing id check very carefully - everything else is more easily rectified.

I want another brand new Cup now!!!

Why? Is the paintwork on Cups bad or something? I only ask because im lookn at buying a Cup in the next couple of months. Anything else i need to look out for?

well done mate..check to make sure that the splitter is on the front and you have the badges on the pillars (cup 172) as some dealers have skinted on this...check the paint work thouroughly mate look for blemishes and differences in panel colours..alot of cups have been damaged and touched up by the dealers for reselling so be careful..good look mate and drive safely they are beasts of cars to get used to !!!

It definetely has the Cup badges on the door pillars because I made sure I checked them on the car. It also had the front splitter wrapped up in bubble wrap on the rear seats so that will be fitted also.

I will check the paintwork before I take the car but it looked pretty good when I saw the car last Friday.

Tim

What is the definitive procedure for running a Cup engine in then cos there seems to be so many conflicting views. I understand the manual says stay under 3500rpm/80mph for 625 miles.

What is the correct running in procedure after that? Is it simply to gradually increase the revs as the mileage adds on?

Tim