ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Broke Down !!!

:mad:
Going along the M77 just before junction 6 and the car revs drop to zero and it stalls, imediate reaction was to start it again, nopeeee wasnt happening

Hard shoulder time and it still doesnt start. Cars goosed.
Was following my mate down to dumfries and he helpfully carried on without me, never even came back to help.

Had to call Dad who gave me a tow but half way back the tow eye thread snapped and so cannot tow. Its now lying in a side street f**k knows where :mad::mad::mad:

I havent no, mate just fucked off and had to wait on dad, id still be there now if my dad couldnt make it :(

182, SQ7, Trafic
Got this same problem mate, code reader won't read eother but ECU has been tested and its fine :s Gotta try change TDC sensor to see if thats the problem. Apart from that I'm stumped!

Its a Mk2 Ph1 1.2 Grande.

Just had it recovered to a garage, £48 plus vat.

He says there was a clio in not that long ago with the same sort of problem, a wire going from the fuse box to somewhere else has a strange route down through the loom and back up into the dash, water was getting in and was corroding the wire, hes going to check this on my car but tbh i think theres either a blockage in the fuel lines or the alternator is goosed as it doesnt seem to be getting any fuel and my battery has been running down alot which suggests the alternator isnt charging it

Basically there was a sudden drop in power and the engine stalled, was doing about 50 at the time. When you try to start it, it turns over but doesnt fire. Tried bump starting it while towing, put it in gear, all the dash lights came back on but the engine still wouldnt start.
Anyone else got any suggestions?

Just had a call from the garage. Timing belt failed. Supposed to be renewed at 5 years/70000 miles, its 8 years old and done 64000 and has never been done i don't think. And thats with the previous owner putting it into Renault for services as her cousin works there and aparently did everything proper. bullshit more like.

Really pissed off now, been quoted £700 to repair which i don't have.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Have you checked timing belt?

Edit: Just read the last post before this. Unlucky mate. Might well be better to just get a second hand engine and stick it in

Last edited:
  Meg R26 + Mk4 GTTDI
Just had a call from the garage. Timing belt failed. Supposed to be renewed at 5 years/70000 miles, its 8 years old and done 64000 and has never been done i don't think. And thats with the previous owner putting it into Renault for services as her cousin works there and aparently did everything proper. bulls**t more like.

Really pissed off now, been quoted £700 to repair which i don't have.

Only had the car since december so was saving up and gonna put it in for a really good service, make sure it was all proper, but the car gave up before i put it in :(

Thinking about bringing it home and stripping it of any with value and just scrapping it, take the radio, changer, alloys etc off it and sell them. Try and get at least some money back for it

www.renparts.co.uk
sounds clueless to me, blocked fuel pipes? nearly impossible.

we do complete engine at 150 + Delivery with a 3 month warranty. Fitting available at an extra 175

otherwise, will buy the car, where are you located?

Mk2 1.2 Campus

we do complete engine at 150 + Delivery with a 3 month warranty. Fitting available at an extra 175

Make sure you put new belts on lol

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car

gotta be the better option tbh

Yeh i know but these were just suggestions people have made to me etc etc. Tbh i havent a clue about the workings of a car in great detail, know roughly what im talking about.

How much would delivery of an engine be to the glasgow area mate, i know its quite a distance?

So roughly £200 delivered. Kl mate cheers, il see what the garage come back with, hes pricing up all the parts etc and give me a more accurate quote.

Works...kind of...
French car + no breakdown cover = bad mmkay.

If you had to call a breakdown service they'd have charged you £400+ to get you off the motorway.

Maybe your 'mate' didn't realise you'd broke down and just thought he'd lost you somewhere?

Bad luck on the tow eye though.

The tow eye breaking like that suggests to me that its been towed before tbh asit was a bit scartched and the paint had chipped off on some bits.

I had called my mate via bluetooth etc and told him id broke down and if he could turn back but he just said "I want to get there tonight" i was like oh well f**k off then

182, SQ7, Trafic
Hmmm... My timing belt can't of gone as I'm still getting compression, can hear exhaust popping. Mines on a Ph1 172 though.

Timing belt was done less than a year ago to at Angelworks :s

Cars now been towed to another garage and hes ordering in parts, Getting it all fixed for £400 which is alot better than £700

clio ph2
Hmmm... My timing belt can't of gone as I'm still getting compression, can hear exhaust popping. Mines on a Ph1 172 though.

timing belt on ma scooby jumped teeth went to start it an the exhaust was popin its tits off so wouldnt rule it out mate ;)

Got some good news and some bad news.

Mechanic has got the engine running which is a good thing

Bad news is you have to have your foot on the accelerator or the things stalls :mad:

Any suggestions guys?

Very jumpy mate and the exhaust pops alot. Engine dances around the engine bay like mad.
Rattles so much the air filter box thing keeps unclipping itself and i had a look at the throttle body bit and there is oil everywhere in it, but its clean in the pictures in the Haynes manual. Would it be a throttle body needed?

Cheers guys, Much appreciated