ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just built myself a custom cold air induction kit

mk1 ph2 1.4
Was bored yesterday and meant to be revising :S so decided to make myself a custom cold air feed induction kit.

Basically got a panel filter froma mk1 1.2, (bought wrong 1) which was just rectangular, so perfect for cutting to size for a fog light.

removed the foglight, gutted it so there was just a huge whole through the middle. I then slotted in and cut to size the filter and bonded it all together to create a tight seal, so the filter was sealed over the front.

Then using a metre long K&N pipe connected it straight to the airbox and removed the filter from the airbox.

Then screwed in the foglight bit.

So basically theres a pipe coming from the airbox to the fog light, sucking air straight through the filter.

lol long! I cant really tell much of a difference, but it looks nice! :approve:

If anyones interested I can post up some pics

Clio Mk1
my cold air feeds the standard pipe that goes near the front of the battery shouved in the front grill lmao

182 Cup
I dont mean to rain on your parade but surely on a wet day your foglight filter will end up getting destroyed? Especially with it being right down at the ground?

Clio 172 mk2
I dont mean to rain on your parade but surely on a wet day your foglight filter will end up getting destroyed? Especially with it being right down at the ground?

Yep....will also get clogged to f**k with flies etc in the summer as well.

Like to see some pics though.

mk1 ph2 1.4
Yeh I used to have the pipe going to the grill aswell.

I know, I only really did it just to make use of the filter as I couldnt sell it, luckily its summer so shouldnt be tooo much of an issue. If the filter does die i'll just chuck it and get a new foglight.

pics to follow...

mk1 ph2 1.4
the filter looks a bit mangled in photos, and geez I just realised how much i need to sort my bumper out lol! at least the grill can go back in now :D

DSC01927.gif

DSC01926.gif

DSC01929.gif

Milltek'd 182
10 for originality!!!! buy some gauze stuff....spray it black/red and put that on the foglight then put an uprated (itg etc...) filter in would be the best bet.

Clio 172 mk2
Would be much better getting a cone and securing that behind the foglight in the wheel arch area and using mesh over the foglight to let air through but to stop debris/stones.

Pretty different though

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
the engine must be struggling to get cold air, and won't be able to suck much as the filter is so far away from the inlet

Audi TT 225
ok then, *advice*
induction systems should be free flowing and the idea would be to use the cars forward motion to build up higher pressure before the filter so you should have some sort of cone connected to a pipe so a large amount of air is squeezed into the pipe and forced through the filter ;)
Some ones probably gonna some and whale all over that little statement but you get the idea ;)
Yours is probably blocking more air than its letting in.

mk1 ph2 1.4
hmm all probably true guys and hands up only 18 so dont know much atm. Im all for constructive criticism but pointless comments are just the common unwelcome problem on this forum. When I come out of uni with a mech eng masters you can all suck my dick. Thanks to those with something useful to say

I wouldn't have made this thread if I wasn't sure about its usefulness would I? Id be selling the idea to a major company.

Anyway enough moaning - cars written off now so who cares

RenaultSport 197
Worth a try mate, good concept, but doubt it would work.

Im building a custom one too, but it's not really that custom because all im doing is sticking a K&N Panel filter in my original box, then getting a brand new cold air feed pipe and running it into my grill. However, im going to get a narrow air feed pipe so there is more pressure running into the box :) Also im putting some kind of asbestos material all over the box too to keep it extra cool.

Last edited:
  Clio 172 mk2
hmm all probably true guys and hands up only 18 so dont know much atm. Im all for constructive criticism but pointless comments are just the common unwelcome problem on this forum. When I come out of uni with a mech eng masters you can all suck my dick. Thanks to those with something useful to say

I wouldn't have made this thread if I wasn't sure about its usefulness would I? Id be selling the idea to a major company.

Anyway enough moaning - cars written off now so who cares

Written off??? Now that's not good:(

mk1 ph2 1.4
lol no someone found it a good idea to reshape my rear end. Now ive got a ford fusion courtesy car! jokes! 1.4 turbo diesel. lol it redlines at 5000, and thats pathetic even if it is a diesel. It gets slower from 4000 revs onwards is wierd.

well the kit might be selling for 30 buck so im all happy :)