ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just came to change the bulb on my 172 cup and.....

Track 172 Cup
Managed to get the thing out but am I right in assuming that's a HID kit? So first question is do I replace the bulb and see how it goes come MOT time not sure how they are set up/aligned only the 2nd time I've driven the car and first time I have needed to use the lights and found the bulb gone. 2nd question is do I just get a set of OEM headlights and fit decent bulbs into them? Not fussed as it's mainly a track car and just don't want the hassle of having to order loads of bulbs so I have spares and don't have to wait for replacements (I've read that the HID bulbs don't like being turned on/off all the time etc). Would it be simply unplug the HID and plug in the OEM headlights? Or get new Bulbs/Holders and fit into my headlights.

4_zpsf19864cc.gif

Clio 182
Personally, I would go for the oem headlights, as you said y8u have your mot coming up and if I am correct in thinking that you dont have projector type of headlight housings? Also best find some new rubber covers as yours have holes in, I had te dame ting and wat mucked up my headlits, had ot have anew set of lights

Track 172 Cup
Would I just need to unplug the HID kit and get some standard bulb holders and they would plug into the OEM housing? These are the cables/wires that were there? I assume the HID kit just has connectors to use the OEM headlight connector?

(took these pictures so I knew what plugged back in where lol my dad was like 'don't just unplug it all and see what goes where when you come back with a new one' like I normally would)

2_zpsd6b3c1e2.jpg

3_zps5891863b.jpg

Track 172 Cup
Are the headlights on a 172 Cup xenons or might be worth swapping them for xenons if the aren't. Don't really have a better picture of the headlights themselves at the min.

20141201_153259_zpse99b39bb.jpg

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Are the headlights on a 172 Cup xenons or might be worth swapping them for xenons if the aren't. Don't really have a better picture of the headlights themselves at the min.

20141201_153259_zpse99b39bb.jpg
They're reflectors so shouldn't really be used with HIDS so may be worth switching to projector lamps if you intend to keep the kit.

Track 172 Cup
Was just thinking I may just get some headlights from someone breaking a car or a scrappy. Which ones would be best and are they just plug and play? The HID bulbs are £25 as I think I'll need two due to not knowing how bright they are and don't want them odd. And can't be that's much more for new headlights even if I have to get some rough ones and 3M them myself. (Dad will love that job OCD cleaning/polishing lol)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
The xenon units are from a 'normal' 172/182. They are a straight swap, but relatively hard to find (and can't be posted, as they have fragile parts which ALWAYS break in the post).

If you can find a set local then by all means go ahead, but it may be better to just remove the HIDs and fit a decent set of 'normal' bulbs - I'd recommend OSRAM Nightbreaker Ultimate bulbs.

Track 172 Cup
Not fussed on the xenons to be fair I would use my headlights and see if I can get new bulb holders or whatever I need. But probably easier to get new units for what they cost. What's the difference between reflector and projector headlights just wondering.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
This is what reflectors look like;
5.jpg

and this is what projectors are like;
6.jpg

Personally, unless you actually want to have HIDs (although I don't suppose that's the case with it being a track car), I'd just put the bulbs in.

Track 172 Cup
So am I right in thinking if I just go the breakers or scrappy and they have a Clio then I can just take the headlights off it and straight swap? Luckily a mate owns a large breakers in my town and gonna call down and see him (need a couple of towing eyes for track so while I'm there two birds with one stone and all that)