ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just drove a 1.2 TCE courtesy car!

Coilovered Clio Dynamique
My friend had his Polo hit by a drunk driver on saturday night and his courtesy car is a Clio TCE. He turned up at my door at 11pm in it and we went for a spin. There is a big bypass near my house so I decided to see what it was like. It feels nippy but doesn't feel like it has very much torque. I didn't realise how nippy it was untill I started watching how fast the speedometer went up compared to my 1.2. Only thing is that it rolls in to corners far too much for my liking.

Oh yeah, it is true what they say, nothing goes as quick as a car that isn't yours.

What does everyone else think of these?

Stewart

29042009292.jpg

29042009293.jpg

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Those photo's are amazing, A big plastic cover (Which ive always dreamed for) and a very dark photo of what seems a black car!!!!!!! LOL

Slow red one
Being a TCE owner and upgrading from my previous 1.2 clio I love the difference in speed and torque, since buying it I overtake way more (sshhhh) and love the difference in acceloration from my 1.2:) on the rollers it got 101.5 BHP:)

It really is a nippy little car, it got from 0-70 a good bit quicker than my 1.2, I thought the TCE engines were only in Dynamique spec, this one had wheel trims and stuff but wierdly also had cruise control too!

Authentique 1.2
Heres something I hope someone can explain.

The new clios only come in a 1.2 / Turbo then jumps to 2.0

When I asked the dealership he replied 'they found a turbo 1.2 to have the same performance in a 1.4 or 1.6'

Yeah somehow I don't think so, but then why wont they make a 1.6? Yet ford still make the zetec s which is 1.6?

I looked at a 2006 Dynamique S a while back which was a 1.6, it was a bit out of my price range though. Would say a 1.6 would go well!

2006 iirc, it was when I was buying my car over a year ago, I think someone on here might have one actually.

Authentique 1.2
Yeah but thats a 55, im talking about 57? Deffo 58 / 59 you can only get them in 1.2 16v 1.2 TCE or 2.0 197

That 55 plate 1.6 is a minter though, Alex how comes you would have a dci over a 1.6 petrol?

Lee

BMW M2C
I found that engine in the Clio struggled, but was great fun in the Twingo GT. I had one for 2 weeks and I thrashed it every day.

Yeah but thats a 55, im talking about 57? Deffo 58 / 59 you can only get them in 1.2 16v 1.2 TCE or 2.0 197

That 55 plate 1.6 is a minter though, Alex how comes you would have a dci over a 1.6 petrol?

I prefer the power delivery of the diesel, a non RS clio is never going to be
particularly fast so you may as well get the one with the most useable amount of power which in my experiences is the dci, £35 tax, decent mpg and decent residuals. Pick of the bunch bar the 197.

VaVa
I tried in vain to get my Mrs round to the idea of a diesel when I bought her mk3 a few years back. The 1.4 16v she had was utter toss tbh. If that had 100 horses, they were more like 100 shetland ponies!

320d
I realy disagree. I felt it had a little more go that the 1.2 16v Mk2 but not much especially when driven hard. Normal driving it had a bit more poke which was nice but overall I wasn't overly impressed.

It was comfortable and the controls etc nicer to use than a Mk2 but it had too much roll in the corners compared to a Mk2 (standard v standard btw).

Just my 2p.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
The Mark 3 clio is a larger car so more body roll is to be expected.
Now the TCE only is a 1.2L Petrol Turbo, then the car changes to a normal engine 1.4L then 1.6L, with no turbo. Then the diesel range is non turbo its that renault way of almost but not turboing a diesel.

The Fiesta TDCI 1.4l and the 1.6l are easily quicker with more torque, just less BHP.
But saying that the Fiesta 1.4l and 1.6l petrol are equally matched in BHP if i remember correctly.

Authentique 1.2
But can you modify a diesiel lol...

Like would adding a air filter make it louder still? Can you add an exhaust? Always wondered.

Heres something I hope someone can explain.

The new clios only come in a 1.2 / Turbo then jumps to 2.0

When I asked the dealership he replied 'they found a turbo 1.2 to have the same performance in a 1.4 or 1.6'

Yeah somehow I don't think so, but then why wont they make a 1.6? Yet ford still make the zetec s which is 1.6?
The point is to make cars which are nippy but still afforable/cheap to run

i.e. insurance, tax etc.

1.2 turbo means you pay cheap tax, unlike a 1.6 which is £185 a year.

Audi have done the same with the a3, 1.4 turbo

I found that engine in the Clio struggled, but was great fun in the Twingo GT. I had one for 2 weeks and I thrashed it every day.
For sho!

The 1.2 turbo twingo is a lot more fun than the clio. Quicker too, less weight etc.

Has the MK2 clio chasis after all so corners are a blast too ;)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The Mark 3 clio is a larger car so more body roll is to be expected.
Now the TCE only is a 1.2L Petrol Turbo, then the car changes to a normal engine 1.4L then 1.6L, with no turbo. Then the diesel range is non turbo its that renault way of almost but not turboing a diesel.

The Fiesta TDCI 1.4l and the 1.6l are easily quicker with more torque, just less BHP.
But saying that the Fiesta 1.4l and 1.6l petrol are equally matched in BHP if i remember correctly.

Renault?

All the Renault DCI's are turbo diesels, where did you hear they're not turbocharged mate?

There is a lot of s**te in this thread. Here are the available engines:

http://www.renault.co.uk/cars/model/newclio/ecoefficiency.aspx

the 1.6 is auto only the 2.0 petrol is quite rare as is not much cheaper then a 197lump to run also it wont be in the facelift clio :rasp: its been replaced with a 130brake 1.6

the tce did replace the 1.4 an 1.6

theirs good gains to be had on a remap on a dci if you want extra oomph ;)
id would have a dci106 without a doubt the one i drove felt mental :D the dci86 just feels safe

Last edited:
Drove the TCE again tonight, it feels better built than the Mk2 and more refined. You do sit a good bit higher in the seat and as previously mentioned, body roll is bad in the twisties, saying that I have got used to my car being low on coilovers.

320d
Well why don't more people go for Diesels over petrol? ^o)

I think they do now. I have never driven a high powered diesel. However between the Mk3 Clio Dci 86 and TCE I would have the TCE. The Dci 86 felt gutless and thats compared to my 1.2 16v aswell.

Also performance cars are 90% petrol so you get the handling that goes with them. Wouldn't say no to a Megane RS175 though.

Authentique 1.2
So how many mk2 diesels are there? Thinking of getting one! More power than my 1.2, and cheaper to run... why not.