ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just got my first car!

Clio
Hi, this is my first thread here on cs so I apologize if its in the wrong section or anything.

With my driving test just a few weeks away I decided it was time to buy my first car and I always knew I wanted a Clio as my first. So I started shopping and I came across this one (at my mums work which she never even mentioned to me).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-RENA...MPUS-SPORT-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY-/361148953644
$_12.jpg

As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted it, but I have to confess I'm absolutely useless with cars. The car was supposed to be £1400 but with a little bit of persuasion (begging) I managed to get it for £1200 which I'm really happy with!

So the car is getting dropped off next week and I'm keen to put my own stamp on it before I get it on the road but as I already mentioned I'm useless with cars, so if anyone can recommend some cheap easy mods for an amateur I would be really grateful.

It would also be quite helpful if someone could tell me what model I've even brought? I know its a MK2 but what are 172/182 etc? Would be really nice to know what model I have, I know there's a model guide on here somewhere but even that doesn't help me.

Thanks for any suggestions/help anyone can provide, and I look forward to posting my progress! :)

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi nice first car where you from?

Looks like a campus to me from front bumper. 172/182 are the mk2 sport models.

It looks clean you may be useless with cars but get stuck in theres loads of help on here for anything you could need.

Needs lowering imo keep it clean

Clio
Thanks I'm really happy with it. I'm from Bilston which aint far from you if your in Dudley.

And the ad says its a Campus Sport, so would that make it a 172/182 lol I've no idea?

Nice first car. Looks like a campus to me as they have the 172 style alloys and colour coded bumpers. I take it its a 1.2 16v. 172 & 182's are the sport models with the 2l engines, although there is a campus sport model as well but I think it's a 1.6l. I wouldn't spend too much cash on it, just keep it clean and tidy and serviced.

Clio
Yeah its a 1.2 16v and I'm not looking to spend too much on it. Any suggestions for the interior? I'm looking to upgrade the head-unit, fit a sub & amb, and maybe upgrade the door speakers.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Nice first post.

My advice: spend nothing on it. In a couple of years you will look back and regret spending "that much" on it, and the mods you do get will probably ruin it. Speaking from experience. Just enjoy it until you can insure something in a higher group.

Thanks I'm really happy with it. I'm from Bilston which aint far from you if your in Dudley.

And the ad says its a Campus Sport, so would that make it a 172/182 lol I've no idea?

Another bilston lad! Me too. Welcome..where abouts in bilston are you

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Welcome to CS :)

I wouldn't waste your money doing anything to serious, if you're upgrading the sound system at least you can put that in your next car I suppose.

Clio
What a small world, at least there's someone nearby if I ever need a hand haha! :up:

So the overall verdict is that I shouldn't spend too much money on this, I'm definitely upgrading the sound system.
Other threads suggest things such as aero wipers, silver-visions, de-wipering the rear. I'm only looking to do small things like this tbh.

What a small world, at least there's someone nearby if I ever need a hand haha! :up:

So the overall verdict is that I shouldn't spend too much money on this, I'm definitely upgrading the sound system.
Other threads suggest things such as aero wipers, silver-visions, de-wipering the rear. I'm only looking to do small things like this tbh.

Yea no worries mate

20151213_081125.jpg

This is the 182 that you've read about. They are essentially the same as yours but with a bodykit and a 2.0 engine and few other bits and bobs

Clio
Ahh sweet makes more sense now, mine definitely doesn't have twin exhausts haha! So would I be right to assume that I have a Mk2 Ph4?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi and welcome.

As said, don't spend too much money modifying it. Keep it serviced, keep the tyres and brakes good and get some experience.

I was in your position a few years back, spent/lost hundreds on modifying my old 1.4 before buying an out of the box faster, nicer looking and better specced car.

If you really want to modify it, those ones won't break the bank, and a sport grill from a 172/182 will tidy up the front end, and you'll be able to sell it on for similar cash when it comes to it

Campus
maxresdefault.jpg

Campus with a sport grill
2m4rvb4.jpg

Clio
The sport grill definitely improves the look! Wheres the best place to pick one of those up and how easy are they to change? Thanks again.

RB 182 FF
Great choice of first car Aaron, these 1.2's actually go really well! I can only echo what others have said..... My priority for spending would and always is, decent tyres (buy a tyre depth gauge and check tread depth regularly and tyre pressures), check the engine oil regularly and make sure service intervals are met and don't neglect the mechanics of the car. I learnt the hard way and drove my first car with the front tyres down to the canvas and span it in the wet and almost wrote it off! Learn as much as you can, read up on things, it is interesting! :tongueout: Build up your driving skills and enjoy it! The sport grill does make it look better, that could be a nice cheap mod.

I whole heartedly regret spending silly money on my first 2 cars, if I had saved like a sensible person whilst living at home and not done so many pointless laps of Mid Wales I could own a Phase 2 Clio V6 or even a 911 turbo now! Bugger!! 🙈
Great choice though, hope you fly through your test:smile::up:

Don't take the rear wiper off what ever you do. Its the most pointless 'mod' ever. I like seeing who's tailgating me so I can piss them off by going slower!! I've got a spare sport grill from my first 172. I'll have to take a look at it tomorrow. If you pays your £12 drop me a pm and ill chuck a few pics your way if its decent enough to interest you.

Listerine & Poledo
Welcome aboard.

Avoid trying to jazz up the car with bodywork or "performance" bits. Just enjoy having freedom of your own.

As far as speakers etc. You'll get away with just changing the head unit and strapping a small sub into the boot. After that it's a rapid escalation of costs and faff (changing those tweeters in your dash......cooooo, you'll not enjoy that).

Keep it full of oil, fuel and water, get your no-claims up, then move along onto something else altogether. Keep that Clio as mechanically and visually standard as it is now and it'll be worth more at resale time.

1.2 & Artic 182
Welcome aboard.

Keep it full of oil, fuel and water, get your no-claims up, then move along onto something else altogether. Keep that Clio as mechanically and visually standard as it is now and it'll be worth more at resale time.
Completely agree with this. I started with a 1.2 Campus Sport and sought about increasing my no claims and decreasing my premiums. Now after 2 years I have my 182 and my annual quote is bearable. I reccomend getting a credit card or borrowing one and paying your insuarance in full, in the long term its better finacially.

Welcome and safe driving

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Hi and welcome, I started 2 years back in a 1.0 litre corsa. All I did is put a new head unit in because the stock one was broken and keep it maintained. Keeping a car well maintained is one of the most valuable skills you can have, if you can service a 1.2, you can service most things. It will save you money in the long run and teach you real basic spanner work, so when you want to try something bigger, it will come more naturally. Well worth paying your £12 to become a member imo, there's so much info on here, and so many parts around for good prices once you are a member. I try to keep a log of the servicing too, because although its not as valuable as a garage service history, at least you know when it was done.

Clio 1.5 DCi
I never knew the were so many wolves on here im from park fields but chill in bilston a lot. To OP if you don't mind me asking and without giving away you mums workplace, did you buy this car from somewhere on millfields road?

Clio
I never knew the were so many wolves on here im from park fields but chill in bilston a lot. To OP if you don't mind me asking and without giving away you mums workplace, did you buy this car from somewhere on millfields road?
Seriously such a small world I actually work up by park fields, and yeah I did guessing you saw it haha!

Norbury90

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Silver 182
Nice first car. As others have said, I wouldn't bother tinkering with it too much as it will just waste loads of money. I would probably fit a new head unit but that's about it, maybe some decent tyres. Whatever parts you change on it, make sure you keep the original items to put back in come resale time.

I definitely wouldn't bother removing the rear wiper, it must be such a PITA to see out of the back in the rain, I hate that sort of thing. When you come to sell the car people will be put off by that sort of thing. Come sale time, you want to make it look entirely standard and like its been driven by an old granny with all the receipts and bills you can possibly accumulate.

Welcome to the world of owning a Clio, everyone tells you to "save up for a sport"
f**k that
Do what you want to it, sport interior is a great upgrade, maybe a sport rear bumper,lowering, nice wheels, if you need inspiration, I've done a lot to my own car, hadn't cost me loads as if you do it yourself, you save a lot!
I have replaced all the speakers, so get a much deeper and richer sound than stock, got a decent HU with a custom diy boot build and a sub sunk into the floor, great for good sound and saving space

Clio 1.5 DCi
I was wanting to say that the whole while benhiggs. As he said doing it yourself and taking a little bit of time to find the right deals can mean you can have the car YOU want without giving an arm and a leg. Wanting to get my own car finished so i can make a thread and give you even more inspiration closer to home ;)

It's a nice looking car you have there.

I've never looked back and thought "damn look how much money I 'wasted' on that car". I've always enjoyed modify cars, it's a hobby not an investment. If I wasn't spending money on cars it'd be spend on other useless stuff.
So just have fun with it, like we all did with our first cars!