ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a crash...

Unlucky mucker. These things happen i'm afraid. Give it a year, whatever the outcome you will always have something worse to worry about!

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Sucks that has happened.

What does the damage look like?

I seriously doubt that ABS would have helped at all though.

Hope you get everything sorted okay. Had a similar incident 4 years ago now and me and the bloke who hit me claimed off the woman who caused our accident. She didn't drive away though and admitted liability straight away.

172 cup
Here are some pics, Steve sent them through to me so dont think he will mind me posting them as he only didnt post because he was on Iphone

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

s7.jpg

s5.jpg

s4.jpg

s3.jpg

s2.jpg

photo_51.jpg

I hate to say this, but that looks like very similar damage to mine that I posted earlier (but I had ripped my bumper off in the pics).

Due to the value of your car being less than mine, I expect that to be written off. Sorry mate :(

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Nightmare mate, that BMW owned your clio! But these things happen, all you can do is pick yourself up and try and fight your case. If I was you Id take the advice of the few people on here offering GENUINE and USEFUL informed opinion (like those of Willy Wonka). If I were in your shoes id be gutted, but make sure you chase EVERYTHING, dont rely on the police force as from my own experience they wont bother themselves. Surely once the insurnace company start to investigate its a criminal matter and so BG have to supply any/all information they have?

Best of Luck!
Rob :)

Audi A6
I did exactly the same thing with my insurance, put a £750 excess on there to keep the cost down, not realising there was already a compulsary £350!
They dont exactly make it clear when you apply for the cover :mad:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I did exactly the same thing with my insurance, put a £750 excess on there to keep the cost down, not realising there was already a compulsary £350!
They dont exactly make it clear when you apply for the cover :mad:

To be fair, they make it very clear. Or the Admiral group (Admiral, Bell, Elephant) do.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't think it's that clear in the Admiral policies tbh. When applying online it's in the small print.

Value you'll get back is what you just paid.

Iceberg 172
Well I think you guys are right. If it gets written off I think i've decided what i'll do...

Buy it back! So I'll take the wheels, suspension, exhaust of it and put it on a 172 FF. I've got the Momo wheel sitting in my bedroom, so hopefully I'll still have a nice little 172, just not a cup.

My problem is I've been looking on Pistonheads and I just don't look at other 172's and think they look anywhere near as nice as mine.

Iceberg 172
In terms of damage behind the panels it's only going to be inner wing, slam panel and rad surely??? I don't really know these cars too well yet (only owned it for 6 days) so not sure what else is close.

And yes... the BMW could of just reversed up and driven off if the women wasn't so shaken.

320d
Sorry to say it mate but thats a write off I think. Its probably for the best anyway, It would take some repairing to get that to drive 100% right after that impact.

Hope it all works out for you with a new car etc.

Iceberg 172
Thanks mate. I really want it fixed.

I've got adverts waiting to be sent to my Insurers for when they offer me £2500 for it just in case.

I'm just feeling a bit gutted now... Through no fault of mine I've just lost a car that I got attached to in a week. (I didn't get attached to my TT, 20vt Polo or Ibiza 20vt at all).

Iceberg 172
Sorry to say it mate but thats a write off I think. Its probably for the best anyway, It would take some repairing to get that to drive 100% right after that impact.

Hope it all works out for you with a new car etc.

That is what I'm now worried about.

Thanks though mate.

Also.. not to fan the flames or anything - but the tyre marks on that photo weren't produced at 20/30mph!!!

I've braked hard in my Cup at 30mph - and it doesn't slide that far...
What speed were you really doing? :p ;)

Iceberg 172
Luckily I was only doing 25-30mph. If I had of given it the beans I could of been doing 60mph... Would of looked a lot worse.

Iceberg 172
Also.. not to fan the flames or anything - but the tyre marks on that photo weren't produced at 20/30mph!!!

I've braked hard in my Cup at 30mph - and it doesn't slide that far...
What speed were you really doing? :p ;)

Seriously, it was pissing it down with rain.

Barge
From those pics looks like you've had to swerve a fair old way... You're well, on the BMWs side of the road and massive skid marks, ground looks dry-ish so some heavy braking to get those marks. Did you say he (the van) pulled off the kerb and away, so did you have to drive/swerve round him? And he just drove off? He couldn't possibly have not realised it was his fault. Weird. Looks quite an impact for the little Clio. :(

Iceberg 172
From those pics looks like you've had to swerve a fair old way... You're well, on the BMWs side of the road and massive skid marks, ground looks dry-ish so some heavy braking to get those marks. Did you say he (the van) pulled off the kerb and away, so did you have to drive/swerve round him? And he just drove off? He couldn't possibly have not realised it was his fault. Weird. Looks quite an impact for the little Clio. :(

Yeah you've got it spot on. But I swear... I wasn't speeding. The wheels just locked up.

There is no way he couldn't have realised... He was behind the Green mk3 Golf in 1 of the pics.

Were all your modifications declared to the insurance company?

Hope it all gets sorted quickly for you buddy.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Look at the damage to the bmw! The fricking headlamp is still working!

It'll be a cat d write off mate.

If you give me mileage and year of the car i'll give you anaccurate valuation so you can get the best settlement for the car and also tell you what they will repair up to (65% of PAV)

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels

there's going to be skid marks, would be more worrying if the poor lad had made no attempt to stop lol

unlucky Steve, really feel for you, but main thing is you're okay.

Barge
Very true, but I'd have thought going at 25-30mph doesn't or shouldn't really leave that sort of skid mark. Nevermind.

Did you (OP) make any leeway with getting in touch with BG to track which van it was?

Better than yours. C*nt.
I can sail 20m down the road with the wheels locked up on ice from a walking pace, so at 25mph a couple of car lengths with locked wheels is nothing.

Don't forget that as soon as your wheels lock, the rate at which you slow down drops dramatically! So where you could stop quite comfortably in a space if your wheels don't lock, with the wheels locked you go a lot further...

Iceberg 172
I got into work at 8.30am and I'm still trying to get it moving.

My insurers aren't interested.

The CCTV Police can't tell me anything because I'm not an Insurance Company or Police Officer (however he did say that there is definately CCTV on that road!)

The Police are just giving me the run around.

On top of all this Vodafone have completely messed up my contract (putting my contract down to £15/month from £50 and sending my out a new phone) but it never arrived on Thursday, never arrived on Friday so in my rage from Friday morning I may of called them slightly angry and told them to stick the new iphone somewhere unpleasant... now I've got no new phone and my current contract down to £15/month with hardly any minutes or texts! lol.

What a mess.

I just got the car valued and it's come up as £5100... So fingers crossed the repairs aren't more than £3k and it should get fixed and I'll have my baby back!