ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

crash locked SRS issue

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
Right, so, did a quick keyword search and didn't find what I was after. It could be that my search-fu is weak, but that being what it is I figured I'd go ahead and ask:

I have a Clio 172 Cup. Had a crash a year and a half ago. The pretensioners on the driver's side fired, and when I plug my OBD2 reader in it says there's a permanent fault code and the ECU has locked itself because of the crash. There are a few people online saying they can reset the "airbag ECU" for between £30 and £70ish but I'm not sure i trust them. I am also not 100% sure what I'm dealing with here;

-Is this an issue with the UCH, or is it a separate module?

-If it's a separate thing, where is it, and is it hard coded to the UCH/ECU like they are to each other, or can I just replace it with a second hand one?

-Has anyone used one of these crash data reset services before? Were they reliable?

-Is there anything else I need to know?

This is, as far as I can tell, the last thing I need to fix before I can get it MOTd and back on the road. It's proving to be a little confusing for me so far, and as such is quite frustrating. Thanks in advance for the help!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve used the guys on eBay numerous times. Can’t fault them.

(airbag ECU reset, UCH repairs, ECU repairs, key card repairs)

you’ll be fine.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
As above, eBay guys are fine. I’ve waited outside someone’s house for 20 mins whilst they’ve flashed an ecu for me, quick fix

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
Thanks for the quick response guys!

So, to clarify: The airbag controller ("airbag ECU") is a separate unit, it seems like? And not hard coded to the UCH/ECU? And it sits under the centre console- sounds like it's next to where the OBD2 port is? If so, that's not too hard to get to.

I had a parts car that I scrapped a while back, I might take a rustle through the bits I kept to see if I've got a spare airbag ECU in the workshop already; otherwise it's off to eBay to get the old one reset.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the quick response guys!

So, to clarify: The airbag controller ("airbag ECU") is a separate unit, it seems like? And not hard coded to the UCH/ECU? And it sits under the centre console- sounds like it's next to where the OBD2 port is? If so, that's not too hard to get to.

I had a parts car that I scrapped a while back, I might take a rustle through the bits I kept to see if I've got a spare airbag ECU in the workshop already; otherwise it's off to eBay to get the old one reset.

Yeah easy enough to access.

A doner airbag ECU would need to be from an identical spec car i.e. a Cup I believe.

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
Yeah easy enough to access.

A doner airbag ECU would need to be from an identical spec car i.e. a Cup I believe.
Yeah, my parts car was another Cup. Was written off by a much lighter impact in 2016 when they were worth a lot less; last time it ran the dash was clear so I assume the airbag ECU should be OK.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I’ve had to do one before because the previous owner spilt a can of coke in the cup holder and it fried the airbag module. 😂

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve had to do one before because the previous owner spilt a can of coke in the cup holder and it fried the airbag module. 😂
Exactly the same as what had happened on my first car, spent ages chasing the airbag light and it turned out the airbag module itself was covered in someone's spilled drink.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
  2012 Renault Clio
I was of the understanding that the ecu is paired with the car in some way so it was easier to reset than replace?

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Airbag ecu can simply be changed for another no issues, apart from config may need programming to suit airbags.

You can also unlock/reset crash data on airbag ecu with Ren0link, easy to do if you have access.

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
As an update: I found the airbag ECU from the parts car, fitted it and everything worked perfectly :)

Then took it for the MOT and it turns out a couple of my lights were broken :(

The front side light & brake light were easy enough to fix but the number plate illuminator I've tried everything on and as far as I can tell the connector at the loom end is just so badly corroded there's no power getting through.

I do have power to the wires at that point so there's nothing underlying, but I need a new connector and probably a new numberplate light fitting as well.

Anyone got one going spare? :p

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
As an update: I found the airbag ECU from the parts car, fitted it and everything worked perfectly :)

Then took it for the MOT and it turns out a couple of my lights were broken :(

The front side light & brake light were easy enough to fix but the number plate illuminator I've tried everything on and as far as I can tell the connector at the loom end is just so badly corroded there's no power getting through.

I do have power to the wires at that point so there's nothing underlying, but I need a new connector and probably a new numberplate light fitting as well.

Anyone got one going spare? :p
You can actually buy the numberplate wiring from Renault. It's so common 🤣

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
The light fitting itself used to be about £10 new from Renault.
I can get the light fitting from RPD or Euro Car Parts easy enough but the connector at the loom end is bright green with corrosion and I'm basically getting no connectivity through it so the fitting alone isn't enough :/

I have checked the voltage at the back of the connector and there is power to the wires, it's just got no way through to the fitting.

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
Any part numbers? Ive had to resuscitate both of mine a few times :LOL:
I asked more or less this question on the CS facebook group and got this answer:

Martin Prinsse said:
7700410754 . And i use : 8200673202 as the connector.

The first number is the light fitting, the second is for a crankshaft TDC sensor connector that looks- to me anyway- like it's basically the exact same part as the connector for the number plate illuminator except blue instead of black. Notably, both of these are on the RPD website, where the black connector that's "supposed" to be correct isn't up there.