ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a crash...

Iceberg 172
I've just woken up and All of my shoulder / neck has stiffened up.

I'm really hoping I've got lucky in terms of CCTV and yes exteremly lucky the lady in the BMW is lovely.

Fingers crossed I'll get my Cup back cos I really don't want to lose it.

Iceberg 172
Going to try getting hold of the policeman to see how much joy he's had investigating it. If he hasn't then I'm going to get on the phone to the council to try and get CCTV and British gas.

PS 200
Ring BG, not sure how happy they will be to give out information so you can skrew them over... but you never know :)
If they don't tell them you'll be telling the local press about it - infact you may want to consider contacting the local press anyway - If you get nowhere with the other avenues you have nothing to lose.

Good Luck.

Clio 182 arctic
i still think that you will be hard pressed to get anything out of BG.
yes, he pulled out on you but you, and you alone took the decision to swerve into oncoming traffic.
i know it was just a reaction to swerve, hey most will probably do the same but like i said, you drove into oncoming traffic, that alone could be classed as dangerous driving. you cant condone your actions because someone else has done the same, it may sound harsh but its true.
but i do hope you get it all sorted with no trouble.

Iceberg 172
Well we'lll have to just see what happens. If they write the car off how do they calculate the figure you can buy it back for? Because the wheels, tyres, suspension and ehaust must be worth over £1k alone.

I think you'll be very lucky to have it as anything other than your fault but there we go..

I remember someone before Christmas paid about £450 I think to buy back their 172 Cup. You'd get not far off that for wheels and tyres.

What parts does your car need to fix it?

Iceberg 172
Car needs the whole front end. I don't know if there's anymore than just cosmetic damage.

I would quite like an Icelandic silver 172 and put my suspension, wheels, exhaust and steering wheel on it.

DB.

BMW 440i
Any pics mate?

Seems like your going to be shafted with this though, my mate had similar happen to him!

Iceberg 172
I'll be honest I don't want to post them up as I'll get a bunch of idiots saying "yeah it's a write off mate" and I'm still a bit sensitive!

Oil Burner
I dont understand why people are so concerned about write offs?

When i pranged my car i didnt want it back, for some reason i just dont fancy owning an accident repaired car. I got a pay out of its market value (to be honest more than it was worth) i put some savings towards getting a newer better one. If i still had the original car now it would be on epic mileage and worth about 5p.

The van that pulled out on me did me a huge favour in my opinion.

I hope you get it all sorted though, i felt sick as anything when i had my accident. My first car, written off by someone elses doings. I had expected to put it into a ditch or a tree or some such (living up to the new to driving and young expectations)

320d
People saying whether its a write off or not is just their opinion though, it doesn't effect whether it will be written off or not.

Unlucky about the crash though. I think you'll struggle to lay any blame on the van driver now though, with no concrete evidence.

172 cup
Really sorry to hear this hun, just glad you and the BMW driver were unharmed tbh.

Ignore the people on here that think they know everything about everything, Id go with whatever the police and your insurance co are saying tbh

Any pics?

Only thing I ever think when I hear this is that it could have been worse, even driving at 30mph someone could have been more seriously hurt.

P.S. Ive just curbed one of my wheels if that makes you feel any better

Iceberg 172
Thank you! I really appreciate nice comments which try to make me feel better. My insurance company are saying all they need is a number plate and a witness statement and it should all be cool.

Well depending on what happens I may have 5 spare turini's!

172 cup
Thank you! I really appreciate nice comments which try to make me feel better. My insurance company are saying all they need is a number plate and a witness statement and it should all be cool.

Well depending on what happens I may have 5 spare turini's!

I know how it feels when you just dont need shitty posts/threads it doesnt do any good

You got any pics up of the damage yet then?

Where you based?

Iceberg 172
Im on my iPhone and loading pictures will be a nightmare. I'll email you them and you can post them if you want. People can say whatever they want!

Iceberg 172
^^

Shotgun...;)

Also just read the thread, sounds unlucky, should hopefully get it all sorted

Thanks mate.

I was only joking though. If it gets written off I'll be looking at 200's or another 172 so if a can't find a nice cup I'll be keeping the turini's, coilies and exhaust.

172 cup
British gas vans are fitted with datatrack, they know exactly where every van is, what speed they are travelling at and which way they are going in real time. they will only release the information to the police though.

i had a similar accident where i got cut up by some guy so swerved to miss him and went into the back of the car in the right hand lane. police attended and told them the situation, a few witnesses saying the guy who cut me up was driving like an idiot plus his reg but they told me i should have hit him rather than trying to avoid the accident and causing another. it went down as my fault on insurance and like yourself i took it in good grace as i couldn't blame the woman who was sat waiting to turn right

hope you have more luck then i did and remember next time someone pulls out in front of you hit them lol

Iceberg 172
Thanks mate... I don't mind paying the excess or the hike in my insurance... I just want my cup back.

I hope he gets caught though as I do not understand how someone can just drive off having seen a crash like that.

similar damage to THIS?

My airbags didnt deploy either, and it was all cosmetic apart from new radiators. Total claim for my car and the taxi I hit was just short of £4k this time last year.

And for reference, my insurance didn't go up at all even though I admitted full liability at the scene. Protected no claims, I'm 25.

Iceberg 172
Yes similar damage although my bonnet looks worse. Was yours written off? Problem is a year ago you car was probably worth £7k+.

I'm 22 with 3 years ncb which they've told me I'll lose unless they can find the van. But for all the doubters the insurance have said if they can find the van along with my statement and the BMWs statement I'll be fine. Plus they'll have CCTV and another witnesses statement.

Nope not written off, cost over £3k to fix my car and total claim was for nearly £4k.

Mine had a new bonnet, Xenon lights, wings, bumper, radiators, and panel that sits behind the bumper.

Iceberg 172
See mine may be cheaper as mines the cup so no xenons, no washer jets. Oh well we'll see what happens.

Thanks for your input mate. Very helpful.

I'm going to the hospital tomorrow morning if it's bad when I wake up as it's going to be full of piss heads tonight!

106 GTi , Clio RT
My advise would be that if theres any shops near by where the accident took place kindly ask them if there cctv covers the road etc. did me proud once :)

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
You can't do him for leaving the scene of an accident. He might have caused it, but he technically hasn't been involved in an accident. Did the cars that were behind that had to brake that carried on going leave the scene of an accident? Nope.

Hopefully it all gets sorted for you. The lucky thing is with a huge company like BG their insurance will just cough up and not argue. Fighting with BillyBob as a rando would have been s**te.

BG van caused or contributed to this accident therefore should not have left the scene. People behnd have not caused or contributed to the accident so only would stop to provide witness details.

Hopefully if independant witness and BMW driver are saying the van pulled out without indictation and you are able to locate the van the matter will either settle with BG accepting all or some responsibilty for the accident.

Good luck with it.

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
Lots of people on here do not seem to understand liability and therefore I would not give much weight to the advice they are giving.

Depending how much your insurance company get stuck in they could actually make a pre-action disclosure application (an application made before formal court proceedings) to BG for release of records relating to the whereabouts of their vehicles.

As said in my previous post if it can be proven that the BG van was there and pulled out without warning then you could claim against them. They may accept fault in full therefore pay out to you and the BM driver, or alternatively an agreement may be reached to settle with you and the BG van each accepting some responsibility e.g. 50-50. On a 50-50 basis therefore BG would pay out to you and your insurers 50% of any damages you claim. Your own insurers and BG insurers would than each pay 50% to the BMW driver.

Hope this helps I suggest that you tell your insurers that you do no wish to accept full responsibility for this accident and then they will hopefully investigate the matter or pass it to solicitors to deal with.

Also get your injury checked out.

Feel free to PM.:D

Iceberg 172
Are you in insurance cos you sound like you really no what you're talking about!

I'm sure I will be in touch with you mate if that's ok but your initial advice is spot on and greatly appreciated.

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
Are you in insurance cos you sound like you really no what you're talking about!

I'm sure I will be in touch with you mate if that's ok but your initial advice is spot on and greatly appreciated.

Insurance Lawyer but sssshh:eek: (act for insurance companies)
Its what I do everyday (and have done for longer than I care to remember) so feel free to ask:D

Carole Anne

Iceberg 172
Do you want to be my new best friend????!!!!

I'm still on my iPhone because I'm at my girlfriends but i'll be in touch if that's ok!?