ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had a crash :(

Ph1 - 172
so after 4yrs clean driving i had my first accident today :(

Went to turn right into a side street, looked up the road which looked clear, looked into the junction and began my manover. Bang.... moped drives straight into the side of me. Straight up didnt see him, mixture of bright sunlight and not having a second glance unfortunatly.

Pulled up and made sure he was ok, which he was thankfully. Did all the formal stuff with details etc. Just had the police round and its a case of due care and attention. Bit shook up about it all as ive never been involved in one before.

Looking at not using insurance companies which the lad and his dad are happy to do, so will thankfully get to keep the car. Does anyone know how much for a new rear panel and spray. Ive looked underneath the car and it all seems straight and undamaged. Think its just panel damage.

anyone know a decent bodyshop in the mansfield area?

James.

Mini Cooper S
Unlucky mate, I'd guess you're looking at about £1000 to repair that. Sh*t happens, at least you can admit you were in the wrong! Hopefully the police don't prosecute you. And thankfully moped man wasn't hurt. It's not nice being in accidents :(

Clio 182 arctic
how did the police get involved, did you or the lad call them. if he did then its a bit bad, i know uve made a c**k up but u have agreed to sort it, they may give you points for something like that.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
how did the police get involved, did you or the lad call them. if he did then its a bit bad, i know uve made a c**k up but u have agreed to sort it, they may give you points for something like that.

Doubtful tbh.

Ive done alot worse and i mean alot and never got any points.

It will be discretion but for simply pulling out at a junction i cant see it tbh, especially if the lad wasnt injured, these things happen unfortunatley :(

Clio 182 arctic
Go through insurance
take it you never saw the other thread where the guy went through insurance and it wasnt even his fault, basically for being a c**t he ended up bein done over and out of pocket.
stay away from insurance unless its mangled.

182 & Porsche 986
They WILL right it off if he does.

Speak to Gally on here, hes an assesor in insurance he will tell you roughly what to pay

i had my rear quarter smashed like that and a front end smash a few month ago and they didn't write it off, dont think my car is worth that much more than this so i dunno.

Glad to hear the driver on the bike is ok.

Ph1 - 172
i rang the police myself to report the incident, speaking to the copper im a prime candidate for the driver improvement scheme so ill pay a couple hundred quid and have no points. Im only tpft on my insurance so either way my car aint gettin repaired but by not going through i get to keep my no claims. Hopefully ill get it done slightly cheaper as i know a decent sprayer just need to get the panel and skirt sourced and fitted.

I am really gutted but it was over so quick i was just shaking when i got out the car. It was a massive relief to see the rider up on his feet and talking tho :(

Clio 182 arctic
Doubtful tbh.

Ive done alot worse and i mean alot and never got any points.

It will be discretion but for simply pulling out at a junction i cant see it tbh, especially if the lad wasnt injured, these things happen unfortunatley :(

y would they go to the house tho
edit: just seen the guys next post

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
i had my rear quarter smashed like that and a front end smash a few month ago and they didn't write it off, dont think my car is worth that much more than this so i dunno.

Glad to hear the driver on the bike is ok.

Well its a Phase 1 and probably 8-9 years old now. 3 quarter panels are very expensive and difficult to repair as i understand it.

I may be wrong mate just speaking from experience :eek:

Clio 182 arctic
i rang the police myself to report the incident, speaking to the copper im a prime candidate for the driver improvement scheme so ill pay a couple hundred quid and have no points. Im only tpft on my insurance so either way my car aint gettin repaired but by not going through i get to keep my no claims. Hopefully ill get it done slightly cheaper as i know a decent sprayer just need to get the panel and skirt sourced and fitted.

I am really gutted but it was over so quick i was just shaking when i got out the car. It was a massive relief to see the rider up on his feet and talking tho :(
bit of a bad call that mate i would say.

Clio 182 arctic
If you do not exchange details at the scene, you must report your car accident at a police station or to a police constable as soon as you can,
just taken off sum insurance website thing, you dont have to report it as above, only if you dont exchange details. but as said at least youre honest.

Ph1 - 172
But with the amount of witnesses who were all shouting to rind the police and an ambulance my hand was pretty much forced. Either way the police were getting involved. Atleast this way i show the police that im an honest driver, which will help me get on the course.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Aye shouldn't be too bad. Thats the panel from Renault too, im sure you could get a pattern part for less than 1/2 the price

Mini Cooper S
Rear 1/4 is the one part I'd want genuine. Don't want that to not line up correctly! See if the bloke on here "West Renault" can sort out a cheap part.

Clio 182
If you get the parts I do a dude near fourways pub that does mint resprays cheap did my 182 drivers door, then puit it on and changed the glass for about 200

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep

Its against the law if you dont inform the police of an accident i thought.

witness reports concluded that it was my fault for not seeing him, it didnt really matter what i said.

Let's be honest here...

You didn't take enought care and attention to see and make sure it was safe to turn, that's a fact because you turned when you shouldn't have. So getting done for driving without due care and attention is completly correct

the fact you didn't intentionally knock him off is irrelevant and it's just your good luck you didn't hurt him.

Clio 182 arctic
Let's be honest here...

You didn't take enought care and attention to see and make sure it was safe to turn, that's a fact because you turned when you shouldn't have. So getting done for driving without due care and attention is completly correct

the fact you didn't intentionally knock him off is irrelevant and it's just your good luck you didn't hurt him.

i dont agree really, surely every accident that happens then whoever is to blame should get points/fine etc. s**t happens, thats y we pay insurance.

Ph1 - 172
Let's be honest here...

I accept that i should have seen him, but through a mixture of bright sunshine on a silver ped, temporary road furniture blocking my view and not double checking, i didnt. Im not too fussed about the police being involved, if i was on the ped i would expect the same. The worst part is the cost to me and the fact that he could have been injured alot worse. I DO count myself lucky it wasnt worse.

This is the first time in my four years of driving that ive even been involved in an accident never mind caused one, it was a split second decision that i got wrong. At the end of the day ive been very lucky and im thankful for that. Im an honest guy and no when to hold my hands up and admit that im in the wrong. Honesty makes for an easier life in my oppinion.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It was an accident. Accidents due to lack of attention happen EVERY day.
I think for everyone to jump on the bandwagon and flame this lad is a typical CS reaction to this type of thread.
Sheep follow sheep after all.

Call it a sharp incline on the learning curve.
And in future, if i were you Bennet, i'd think twice about posting up something like this (god forbid you do of course)
Even if you were up front and honest, weren't speeding or drunk....you'll still get treated the same.....with ridicule.