ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just over £7000, 172

As the subject says I am hoping to get just over £7000 and I want a newish 2 - 3 year old car. My first thought was a Clio 172 Phase 1. Is it this best car for the money or should be looking at something else. I love the look of the clio and love its performance but wold I be making a mistake? Any advice would be appreciated!

Dont know anything about them except for what Ive heard on here but the mark II looks so much better IMO....

to be fair if your spending £7k on a mark 1 you should be able to find a good un, also with regards to the 4k rattle it doesnt occur in everycar so go and have a drive and see if you can hear it, the car will undoubtably rattle inside (renault build quality) but its all down to how well it drives as long as your grinning whilst driving it then its all good, you could maybe pick up a mk2 for £7k but i personally wouldnt as it would be the chepest ones around, just have a drive make sure theres no squeeks or rattles other than the interior, get an aa check if needs be, or alternatively find another £800 or so and you could have my 02 plate 172 mk2

The 4k rattle can be fixed as well by getting an aftermarket exhaust or getting Renault to fin it under warently (it might have already been fixed if its 2 to 3 yrs old)

You could get a really good one for 7k, my advice is to find one with FRSH and lowish miles, maybe around 6.5k then spend £500 on the facelift rear lights and full colour coding !!

Full Renault Service History mate

The mk1 172s are MINT, they are quicker than the mk2 172 and on a par with a cup !!

Try and find a black one and youll be laughing !!

AH...doh.

Stop it, this is worse than what my g/f does in bed, I cant refuse!! Why black, funny enough Ive found a black one at 26,000 miles though there is another one Im more interested in.

Sold my mk1 172 to a dealer a few months back for £7k (36k on clock). Just set yourself some money aside for some decent springs as the handling isnt too hot as standard. Will be fine with some Eibachs on.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

there is a black one for sale y plate 26k looks mint on the blackhorse cars 4 staff website. saw it today when i was at work

Ive seen some mk2s around the £7500 mark, look at dogmauls, hes selling his for around £8k i think.

I think both mk1 and mk2 look cracking, whichever you choose you wont be dissapointed. For 7k you wont find a more complete car.

Good luck with your search!

P.S Go for blue mk1 and red for mk2 ;)

Remapped derv Golf

Get a mk1 - its meant to be the best drive out of all the 2.0 clios (williams not included in that remark)

yeecup,

that car is one of the ones Im looking at, Lloyds TSB right? Me mum works there. I dreamt about driving a 172 last nite, I think its becoming an obsession!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Just outta interest, how much is the insurance gunna be on this Mr Blackman?

Quote: Originally posted by Blackman on 09 August 2004
yeecup,that car is one of the ones Im looking at, Lloyds TSB right? Me mum works there. I dreamt about driving a 172 last nite, I think its becoming an obsession!

This car is sold mate!

I Receive it on Thursday!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

nice one. it looks like a mint example. do u work for lloyds mate?

I drove it on Thursday and its A1 mate!

Im a Lloyds TSB Customer... Glad I read their junk mail for once!

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

enjoy. wonder how long it will take u to start modding it.

Good evening Mr White, remember Im just in the "interest" stage! Im well into the idea of getting a 172. Insurance on a pass plus will be cheaper than what Im paying now for me 1.4, crazy innit! About 1100 notes, williams nah, sounds tempting but Id rather a 172!

Cheers for everyones help and offers. :cool: