ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just picked up black 182 faults steering whinning stiff clutch pulling to left

clio 182 +206 2.0hdi+avan
hi im andyfoz

just picked up a black clio 182 2004 cheap, with some known faults.

1. the steering is very heavey much heavier than it should be and much heavier than anything i have ever driven. when i am travelling it makes a loud whinning sound when i turn left or right?

2. car is pulling to the left very slightly?

3. clutch is very tight and stiff?

there is very little history, car showing 45k, other than that all i can say is its like sh"t off a stick

any help for a noob?

?
1. Pas pump?
2. Tracking? although whats the rest of the handling like? have you had the front shocks/lower arms /wishbones checked out?
3. Clios are normally stiffer anyway - but get it checked out! Could just be the clutch cable if your lucky

1. Pas pump?
2. Tracking? although whats the rest of the handling like? have you had the front shocks/lower arms /wishbones checked out?
3. Clios are normally stiffer anyway - but get it checked out! Could just be the clutch cable if your lucky

only had it a day, i do suspect pas pump but im no mechanic

handling seems great just heavey, pretty sure it shouldnt be this heavey

Renaultsport Clio 172
Check your fluid for PAS is full - top right of engine bay as your looking at the car. Also bleed any air of the system - go full lock a few times with engine off and then full lock a few times with engine on, with cap off PAS bottle

Whining might be pump or might be aux belt idler pulley at the bottom - if no service history recommend getting aux belt, tensioner and idler pulley changed, you can get the kit from K-Tec for £120 or IIRC. Usually due at 36k

Clutches usually do feel very stiff, as long as your gear changes feel normal I wouldn't worry

and other problem sounds like tracking, any garage can track it for you

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
id suspect its leaked its fluid out one of the hoses, you may want to get it sorted soon before teh pump catches fire lol.

other possibility is the aux belt has gone and been lucky enough not to take the cambelt with it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Can you not take the s**t back to where you bought it from??

Sounds like a right lemon.

53 Clio's & counting
Out of interest mate how cheap is cheap? :)

Id say the clutch is normal, but def get the ps looked at asap

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If it was cheap, then its probably justified, but I hpe it was REAL cheap.

I had a P/s pipe fail on mine and its a c**t of a job.

ur megane r26
yer i just had to have the pas pump changed under warranty for my car as it was knackered, took it to renault, and the warrenty company sent them two checks, i only saw the last and it had just under 600 quid on it, so not cheap either

53 Clio's & counting
Lol that was me mate, i know the cost of 182's, and you said you bought it cheap, now to me, with the problems you have listed a cheap price would be circa £2000 as you can pick up 182's up for £4500, i mean there only a 172 without a spare wheel well ;)

^ hours sounds about right, though make sure they have the correct cam locking tools

Last edited:
  Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
Lol that was me mate, i know the cost of 182's, and you said you bought it cheap, now to me, with the problems you have listed a cheap price would be circa £2000 as you can pick up 182's up for £4500

Only in my opinion of course

£2k!!? I think with those problems £2k is a bit low, your never find a 182 for anything near that price - id happily pay £4k and get it sorted.........

£1350 could get you my old cat c clio

13072009056.gif

53 Clio's & counting
iv seen rattly 182's sell for around that yeah fella, i passed up a nice condition 182 with 130k, and belts needed doing for £2200

As per above though, all in my own opinion

PS yours looks a bit nasty matey, glad you got out ok

Monaco Blue 172 (56/468)
iv seen rattly 182's sell for around that yeah fella, i passed up a nice condition 182 with 130k, and belts needed doing for £2200

As per above though, all in my own opinion

PS yours looks a bit nasty matey, glad you got out ok

fair enough, id be tempted to take one on and get it running decent for that sort of price.

yeah lucky with that one, learnt my lesson :eek:

Black 197
Off topic but i traded my 04 182 in 5 months ago for my 197.. Was mint with 44k on clock... I sold it to Reanault for 5.5k and they sold it on for 6.7k !!!

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cars-...ln=1&_ipg=&_sc=1&_sop=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

tell me were a high miler or no service history 2004 clio182 is on here for 2k, your in a dream world. parkers price for average clio182 is 5600.

if you can get em at 2k best start up a garage youll make a mint.

anyway dont start this into a thread about prices, i need info about my issues not a school yard rant.

53 Clio's & counting

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cars-...ln=1&_ipg=&_sc=1&_sop=3&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

tell me were a high miler or no service history 2004 clio182 is on here for 2k, your in a dream world. parkers price for average clio182 is 5600.

if you can get em at 2k best start up a garage youll make a mint.

anyway dont start this into a thread about prices, i need info about my issues not a school yard rant.

School yard rant? Cheap on ebay? Look at all those cars, they are all normal, with no problems, im talking cars needing work, chill out!

you said you picked it up cheap, and i gave my opinion, based on the cars i have seen ( as iv been buying and selling for the past 10 years) and with the problems i gave a valuation, iv seen the cheap cars, i just obviously look in places other people doesn't,im not in a dream world as iv been there and bought and sold them,the important word here is contacts, as Daniel will well know its who you know,besides its all in my own opinion.
i dont know what you paid for yours, and all that matters is that your happy with it, you could have paid 10k for it, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, as long as your happy thats all that matters :)

Oh and i gave you help on your issues, make sure the garage has the proper cam locking tools or your timing will be out, the Renaultsports are very pesific with there timing.

Last edited: