ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just purchased Engine Dynamics forged turbo 280bhp engine

Clio 182
Hi all,

I have just purchased a clio 172 engine that has the 280bhp turbo conversion from Engine Dynamics plis a few other bits.
This was the description -

Engine:
All built February 2017 buy engine dynamics covered around 4.5k - 5k since rebuild:
supertec valves (iconel exhaust valves)
197 valve springs
New valve guides
Wossner oversize forged pistons 83mm 9:5:1
MLS gasket (0.65mm)
Standard rods
New oil pump
New spray jets
Genuine big end and main shells
Genuine seals and gaskets all round
Light weight outer crank pully
Genuine belt and dephaser fitted and water pump all fitted by engine dynamics when engine was built
always ran on tesco 99 momentum or v-power,
Turbo kit:
Engine dynamics turbo kit (non garret) currently running a strong 283bhp
Kit contains:
Engine dynamics non garret turbo
Exaust manifold and down pipe finishing like a standard 172
Oil feed and return pipes for Turbo
Coolant pipes for turbo
Intercooler kit with forge dump valve
Megane 225 injectors (will be fitted to standard 172 ph1 fuel rail )
Ecu kit with 2 keys
Efi parts boost module
Throttle body with nipple drilled in for actuator
Boost map sensor

I have a 182 I've been prepping for the track and want a little advise.
What clutch to go with? Was looking at buying the ED 5 Puck paddle clutch. Anyone have experience of this clutch or others they would recommend?
Also with regards to a diff. Quaife or gripper. I understand the differences in the way the operate, what about installing them.

Car will only ever be used for track use, apart from driving it to and from the track.

Any advise appreciated.

Adam

Last edited:
  182 Turbo
i personally use the 5 puck from ED and its great in terms of function it feels lighter than the OE clutch but for hard track use and at that power id probably go for the generic helix 4 paddle, it will feel like s**t pulling away but will bite like a b**ch and never let go changing gears

Clio 182
Not sure, I bought it off eBay. It was in Doncaster if that narrows it down at all. It was a 172 originally not a 182 as I out above 🙈

182 Turbo
Have you got a picture of the kit , or is it fitted to the engine? it sounds like it might not be an engine dynamics kit, he uses an AEM ecu not an efi boost module

RB Clio 182
I hope its not a clioturbo one ffs!

Its will be fooked if it is, fooked, hes a robbing c**t that Andy Greer!

Clio 182
132441268582 is the eBay item number, hopefully you can still see it. The chap works for Renparts I'm guessing as that's where it's being collected. He's not called Andy Greer.

Clio 182
Have you got a picture of the kit , or is it fitted to the engine? it sounds like it might not be an engine dynamics kit, he uses an AEM ecu not an efi boost module
You've got me worried now . That's a good point about the AEM ecu....

182 Turbo
You've got me worried now . That's a good point about the AEM ecu....
It doesnt matter mate, even if the kit is from elsewhere, as long as the turbo is fine and no shaft play etc all the parts are fine, the clioturbo thing is more about the plank who fit them, than the parts being bad. Also the 5 puck clutch is definitely good for 280, Andy at engine dynamics might even recommend it to you it does bite really well, its just common for people to use helix at that power and for that purpose.

182 Turbo
Have you had previous experience with clios OP?
a 280 bhp turbo clio for the track only is something you would need to meticulously look after

172 Turbo
the clioturbo thing is more about the plank who fit them, than the parts being bad.
This is a built engine so if it was a CT one there'd be a problem.
Luckily it looks like an ED conversion from the pictures, however, you've spent a lot of money without testing it first. Good luck!

182 Turbo
Ah i see, i was searching the ebay number but it wasnt showing me anything, had to look in sold listings..

Couple of things, that doesnt look like the turbo ED use in their kits either, it also looks like he had some fitment issues as that turbo looks quite scuffed up (like its been hitting the bulk head?) Also, what does he mean by ''the engine will come with no inlets'' have you been supplied with the intake manifold? or the turbo manifold?

Also if its to go in a 182 youll need a link pipe that comes off your downpipe to your exhaust

Also, did you hear this engine running before you bought it? or does it have any paper work? ED would obviously supply paperwork proving the engines been forged or any company would at that matter

Clio 182
This is a built engine so if it was a CT one there'd be a problem.
Luckily it looks like an ED conversion from the pictures, however, you've spent a lot of money without testing it first. Good luck!
Completely agree and it's a massive gamble. Im in North Devon so Doncaster is a fair old drive. Fingers crossed it all pays off. My finger has been hovering over the ED 230 kit for a while now, when this came up I couldn't resist. Thanks for the advice, I'm going to contact ed tomorrow and I'll keep you posted of the outcome.

172 Turbo
Just found it previously advertised on the FB CSOC, probably a good buy tbf, not sure why he hasn't advertised it on there as he did the other bits he listed on ebay - Only strange bit is that he listed the car for breaking in April so must've kept it running for a while

You'll need a fuel pump and to mod the fuel rail but nothing major

dan's cast offs.
i'd speak to ed, i'd be surprised if they didn't mark/number an engine they've built?

i'd also bin the lightweight crank pulley asap.

it also looks like he had some fitment issues as that turbo looks quite scuffed up (like its been hitting the bulk head?)

it looks like someone has been at it with a file or grinder to me? the odd thing is the compressor side normally clears fine but the hot side gives issues.

340i
Why go to all that expense and effort with the engine, but keep stock rods... I cannot see them lasting long at your power level.

I'd look into that, cannot imagine ED fitting standard rods on a "built" engine.

Clio 182
Spoken to Andy at ED thus morning and he has confirmed it's one of their kits :blush:
Also with regards to a diff. Quaife or gripper. I understand the differences in the way the operate, what about installing them.

Clio 182
Right.....the chap I was buying the Engine off of messaged me to say he has been to his friends unit and can't find all the parts 🙈 gutted!!!
So I'm back to square 1. Still have a good standard lump but if anyone knows of a turbo conversion/throttle body kit met me know.

Thanks for all you replies though

Clio 182
I
Which bits can't he find? Sounds like a lie to me
Know it all sounds very fishy, I asked and he just said he was going to have to refund me.....left it at that! Was a big risk without seeing it anyway so maybe it wasn't meant to be!

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
It sounds like it wasn’t meant to be from the start. Buying an engine unseen and not seeing it running would scare me something awful.

Clio 182
Yeah I have been thinking about this but it will have to be the 230 kit as can't afford the 280 kit new. Think about bodies now but that's a lot of cash for not a lot of gain