ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec and JMS Tuning Packages, do they really work?

172 Flamer
I am thinking of getting the K-Tec Stage 2 tuning done to my 172 next year. I will get KTR CNC Matched Inlets, KTR PTFE Manifold Gaskets and KTR Sport Bespoke Remap for 450.00. My main reason for doing this is to cure the cold starting issue and to improve the throttle response. I am not sure if I will get any more performace increase despite the blub saying I should get 7 - 10bhp more. To be honest, I am not overly bothered about this although it would be nice. However I see JMS do a Tuning Engine Works‏ package which pretty much does the same sort of thing.

Are these really worth having done and do they do what they say on the tin and is one product (K-Tec or JMS) better than the other?

Lionel Richie
Re: K-Tech and JMS Tuning Packages, do they really work?

save your money and spend it on a trackday/tuition

and please stop spelling K-TEC with a H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

172 Flamer

save your money and spend it on a trackday/tuition

and please stop spelling K-TEC with a H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats not really the answer to my question. I have done tons of track days in my Elise with Lotus On Track and had tuition with my instructors there. I am asking do these packages actually do anything like improve throttle response or is all all a gimmick?

You'll get people that will complain about both. You'll get people that will continue to kiss arse of them both. You'll get people that never say anything on the forum.

I think Clio tuning is a large waste of time.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
You'll get people that will complain about both. You'll get people that will continue to kiss arse of them both. You'll get people that never say anything on the forum.

I think Clio tuning is a large waste of time.

This, Il never touch the engine in mine, All iv done is stick a Panel filter in to save having to replace it and the exhaust as its expencive to replace every 5minutes

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
From memory, matched inlets are generally all the same. One company uses a mapper called Andy Cutler (im sure if you search you'll find out loads of info about him, he owned GDI), the other uses Henk @ Fastchip. One company is based in Dorset, one in Surrey. I've not used the former, i have used the latter.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
I am thinking of getting the K-Tec Stage 2 tuning done to my 172 next year. I will get KTR CNC Matched Inlets, KTR PTFE Manifold Gaskets and KTR Sport Bespoke Remap for 450.00. My main reason for doing this is to cure the cold starting issue and to improve the throttle response. I am not sure if I will get any more performace increase despite the blub saying I should get 7 - 10bhp more. To be honest, I am not overly bothered about this although it would be nice. However I see JMS do a Tuning Engine Works‏ package which pretty much does the same sort of thing.

Are these really worth having done and do they do what they say on the tin and is one product (K-Tec or JMS) better than the other?

Generally speaking, you may fetch a few bhp. The matched inlets should make it feel better, although it depends how bad you're current inlets are - the quality of how the upper and lower sections differ from car to car.

All in all, you may get the stated bhp, but the car should be nicer to drive in general :)

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Yeah, as Russ says, the gain is entirely down to how bad your original inlets are. For example, my T has the RS inlets anyway, so i didnt bother getting the matched ones done.

If you inlets are bad, you could gain 8-10nhp. If they are ok, you could gain 2bhp.

172 Flamer
Thanks for the replies so far. Seems to be a bit of a mixed opinion so far. I am not so bothered about any increase in performance but improving the cold start issue certainly interests me as does making the overall throttle response/smoothness.

I guess there is no way of knowing what the state of my current inlets are.

260% JCW
Buy a 2nd hand RStuner and map it you're self, that sorted my cold start lumpiness. Best £150 you could spend.

172 Flamer
oh why do people start these threads lol

I smell sour milk.

So whats wrong with starting this thread then? The manufacturers claim that their package cures the cold starting problem and improves the throttle response. Whats wrong with asking for other forum members opinions of these products then? Is this not a forum where the point is to discuss things?

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
I did more or less as this kit but bit by bit with group buys etc. Just my two pence worth as each car is different to a point (inlets quality etc) but I found biggest difference i felt was the Rs tuner remap compared to the rest of the mods. It did make the car a nicer drive idle better and a difference was felt. Apart from that the only other mod i would do again was my Eibach springs.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Buy a 2nd hand RStuner and map it you're self, that sorted my cold start lumpiness. Best £150 you could spend.

^^^This.

Get an RSTuner Fastchip remap, that'll sort out your cold start issues and give the car a bit more go lower down the rev range,
decent exhaust and some decent springs from the for sale section and leave it at that.

Then upgrade as you go, like braided steel brake lines, better discs, pads etc.

Last edited:
  Clio 182ff
So whats wrong with starting this thread then? The manufacturers claim that their package cures the cold starting problem and improves the throttle response. Whats wrong with asking for other forum members opinions of these products then? Is this not a forum where the point is to discuss things?

sorry fella, didn't mean to get yer back up ;)

Remaps and the quality of them matters on a lot of things - things that could be talked about till the pre-verble cows come home.

It always ends in arguments - As Revels has already stated.

I personally think a remap is good for any hot hatch you've had for a good while and you just want to 'pep it' back up :)

Last edited:
  172 Flamer
sorry fella, didn't mean to get yer back up ;)

Remaps and the quality of them matters on a lot of things - things that could be talked about till the pre-verble cows come home.

Ok, no worries. I'm not on the forum that much so not 100% up with all the ins and outs on remaps, mods etc.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
ive never had a "tuning package" done however i have done all they mods you are considering to my last 172. spent a lot gained a bit.

ive got another 172 now. will i do it all again?

yes. power figures alone make it look a waste of money, difference in drivability makes it worth while

mso

172 cup supercharged

Thats not really the answer to my question. I have done tons of track days in my Elise with Lotus On Track and had tuition with my instructors there. I am asking do these packages actually do anything like improve throttle response or is all all a gimmick?
Had this done with my car before they supercharged it, it does make a difference it not all about how much bhp you gain it's how the car feels after it's been done!

320d
I personally wouldn't bother. I put an SS exhaust on my 172 because I wanted it to be louder. Other than that left the engine standard. I don't doubt these mods may improve throttle response, smoothness etc but in reality for the pretty big outlay you make in order to get it I seriously doubt it is worth it. Its horses for courses I guess.