ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renaultsport Megane RS 250 Daily

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Finally got round to doing a post about my RS 250. Had it a couple of weeks now and love it. Has quite a few modifications as listed below.

2011 Renaultsport Megane RS250 Lux, OG, 62,000 miles with full history. All belts and dephaser back end of last year, all swivel joints, thermostat, discs and pads all round. Factory spec as follows:-

Light pack so directional xenons, corner lights and DRL
Keyless entry and start
Retractable heated mirrors
Cup pack(red Brembos, LSD, suspension pack)
Full black leather with front Recaros
Rear parking sensors
Rear window tints
Built in Garmin Sat Nav
Bluetooth Stereo, Hand free etc

Modifications
Engine
Pro alloy intercooler
Mid box chop and decat
Forge recirc valve
Forge induction hose with cone filter
RS Tuning custom map running 321bhp
K-tec stabilizer bar
Uprated gearbox mount

Chassis
H&R lowering springs
Braided hoses all round
RS 265 wheels with Michelin PS4 tyres

Interior
Royal Steering wheel alcatera with red stitching, handbrake leaver and gear gaitor to match
Genuine red Renaultsport mats
Genuine RS gearknob
All bulbs replaced with LED upgrade

Exterior
Gloss black Renault badges
¾ front plate
Black rear exhaust surround
LED sidelight and number plate bulbs
Silver vision indicator bulbs

DLER2980.JPG
PTGB6972.JPG
AVZU3816.JPG
TWTY7199.JPG
FHZC7944.JPG
POCZ4055.JPG
SAJA2157.JPG
ABMR8320.JPG
NJEH6118.JPG

Not really got any plans for further modifications. Credit to the previous owner who has done pretty much everything I had planned to do on purchasing a 250. I do have some new 18" Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1.3 that I bought with the car, but I really like the 265 wheels. I will fit them and choose which I think looks better.

Currently used as my daily and is a real nice place to be. With the mid box chop there is sufficient noise when you want it with a few pops and bangs. When cruising it is nice and quiet. The induction noise and turbo chatter is so addictive. Plenty of room for the kids in the back too! Currently getting around 26mpg average give or take. The adaptive xenons and keyless entry/start are interesting and cool features. Also has cruise control and climate control as standard. Have stretched myself a bit to buy the car, but will cut back on a few things. Was exactly what I had been searching for spec wise and more. Too good an opportunity to pass and not far from me. Some of you will probably recognise the car from Ben Lowdens blog on the Piston Heads website. I will try and update this thread with how I find the car as a daily and any maintenance issues I have for anyone that is looking to purchase one in the future and those interested. Thank you for reading and those that helped with advice when I was looking for one.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Don't fit s**t wheels and the black badges are pants but an awesome awesome car. Really liking that!
In two minds about the black badges. The wheels will almost definitely stay as they are.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I was never that into the black badges. With the chrome in the lights, I think chrome badges look fine. I'd definitely try some different wheels. The ones you have are probably the best of the OEM ones (apart from the Trophy-R Speedlines), but the right aftermarket wheels transform these cars in my view.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
eBay will sort you out, they should be pretty cheap too. But if you're going for black, you could paint the heads on your current ones.

I really like TPI polarized bolts, but not too sure if they will look right or a bit Halfords.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was never that into the black badges. With the chrome in the lights, I think chrome badges look fine. I'd definitely try some different wheels. The ones you have are probably the best of the OEM ones (apart from the Trophy-R Speedlines), but the right aftermarket wheels transform these cars in my view.

Not looked properly, but I think the badges are just covers so will see what it looks like with silver.

Lovely car. I know what you mean about the polarised bolts, they look nice on the screen but on the car is a different matter.

Only one way to find out I suppose..

Couldn't help but notice you live in what looks like a lovely area.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172

Not looked properly, but I think the badges are just covers so will see what it looks like with silver.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Had the car nearly six months now and still love it! Nearly ticked over to 67,000 miles. Driving it always puts a smile on my face. The power, noise, handling are awsome. When driving quick it is so involving and corner speed is unreal.

Have managed to use as my daily and only things it could benefit from is a decent cup holder and better stereo.

Even did a couple of tip runs in it. The wife is still not buying it as a practical family car!! Average MPG is 26.2 which is a mixture of driving.

20180815_090912.jpg

Gave it a service a few weeks after buying it and had to replace one of the rear tyres due to getting a nail in it. Rather annoying as tyre was almost new. Running PS4 all round. Fronts will be due soon.

20180506_152802.jpg

Got new genuine drop links and anti rotation links to fit. I have software to read ABS, Airbag and ECU faults should I need it.

Did a bit of preventative maintenance this morning after reading on the rsmegane forum about blocked scuttle drains that can cause problems. Removed the wipers, plastic scuttle cover and then used a long screwdriver to clear any debris. One side was slightly blocked so was definately worthwhile doing it before the weather gets worse.

20180913_091011.jpg

20180913_091002.jpg

20180913_090957.jpg

No real plans with the car other than keep clean and keep driving it! Have added a few random pictures.

20180624_164545.jpg

20180513_120248.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Want, best colour, best spec, I feel indifferent about the wheels.

Wanna swap with a 2010 320d MSport lol

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Want, best colour, best spec, I feel indifferent about the wheels.

Wanna swap with a 2010 320d MSport lol

Would be a bit more economical!! Will be leaving the wheels as I quite like them. I don't mind the standard RS 250 five spoke ones either. If I get trophy wheels, they will be attached to a trophy!! That is what I would like to buy in the next couple of years hopefully. Will take a while to find one in the spec I want though!!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Well been busy giving the RS 250 some attention today! Mot is due next week and the front tyres were pretty much on the limit. Replaced with another pair of Michelin PS4'S.

After reading about anti roll bar drop links and anti rotation links I decided it was about time mine were replaced. Pretty much everything else suspension wise had been replaced before I bought the car. Ordered genuine Renault replacement parts from @George@RTR_Parts. The anti rotation links were on back order from France so had to wait a while for them.

Pretty straight forward to replace. Took the opportunity to clean all the arches and backs of the wheels. Also did the rears too.

20180929_105212.jpg
20180929_111421.jpg
20180929_125458.jpg
20180929_125447.jpg
20180929_105019.jpg
20180929_105007.jpg

Had a bit of an issue lately with random warning light on the dash for "check lighting" and ESP/ABS. Really random and no obvious explanation for it. Popped to Two Techs in Dartford on Thursday and spoke to them regarding the issue. Was really impressed and they were so helpful. I have diagnostic equipment for the megane, but was not pointing to anything obvious and the fault has been intermittent. The car has LED interior and exterior bulbs fitted. The rear numberplate bulbs I think are probably interior ones. After speaking to Two Techs the LED bulbs can cause random faults. I have today replaced the LED bulbs with normal ones and so far all seems well! I may get some more LED ones, but will get some better quality ones.

While cleaning the arches I noticed the self levelling xenon module had come unclipped so sorted that out.

Have given the exterior a good clean today and will do the interior tomorrow.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Drove the car for the first time this morning after fitting the new parts over the weekend. I used to have a slightly annoying knocking, which would be heard when going over small bumps in the road or off my driveway etc. The new drop links and anti rotation links have cured this issue!! Well pleased with the results. Removing the LED bulbs also appears to have solved the random "Check lighting issue".

All I would like to do now is get the upper part of the front bumper painted following a scaffold clip hitting it a few months ago, get some new wheel bolts or covers and I am thinking of returning the Renault diamonds on the front and rear back to silver.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
With mot due in a couple of days and working a bit later today decided to take for mot this morning.

I popped up the test station yesterday and there was nothing in the bay and since clipping my headlight adjuster back on the lights appeared to be pretty much lighting up the sky. I adjusted them roughly on the garage wall, but wanted to get them exact. I was not far out!!

Went to the test this morning. Straight though with no advisories. Well pleased, although a lot of the obvious stuff is new. Badges and wheel bolts and will just continue to enjoy.

Will have a car that I use during the winter to try and keep the Megane in the condition it is.

Anyone thinking of buying one, I can't recommend one enough. I have owned a lot of cars and this is definately my favourite ?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thought I should update this thread. The Megane is SOLD!!!! I didn't think I would sell it as the best car I have ever owned. I will definately buy another(hopefully a well specced Trophy) when funds allow.

You are probably wondering why. The last couple of years my family holiday has been travelling through France and Italy in a camper. Something I convinced myself I would hate. However they have been the best holidays as a family we have ever had. Last year we spent a week at Lake Como and it was stunning.

We hired a VW camper to see how we got on. It answered some questions in relation to what spec we wanted if to buy. This was basically a LWB T5, 1.9tdi, full width rock and roll bed, no pop top roof(waste imo), leisure battery, mains hook up, water and gas hob. Would be my daily so needed to be reliable, reasonably economical and something we could all enjoy as a family.

Well @Somnambulist was interested in buying the car back. I found a van I was really interested in, but out of my budget without selling the Megane. A deal was done, which involved me taking on a very nice RB 182, which I have since sold on to a really nice bloke and new forum member@LostInSpace to pay the different off on my credit card for the van.

Plan is to do a few bits to the van including custom retrim, bit of paint, tow bar for the track car, awning, bike rack to name a few bits. I will start a new thread for this if anyone is interested.

I will also hopefully get occasional use of the Megane. It is in good hands and already has the paintwork on the front bumper done.

Anyone thinking of buying a RS 250/265/275 do it! Such a great involving car that put a smile on my face every time I drove it. Had finances allowed it would definately not have been sold.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How was the ride comfort on cup suspension? Also what was the clutch firmness like, especially in heavy traffic?

Had Cup suspension with H&R springs and 18" wheels. Could not fault it. Clutch was not too heavy and I did a fair bit of driving through London in heavy traffic with no issues.

Honestly such a great car. Would love to have done a track day in it.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
How was the ride comfort on cup suspension? Also what was the clutch firmness like, especially in heavy traffic?
Mine’s on cup suspension and H&R springs and 19’s. Firm but not ridiculous.
The main firmness is due to the 19’s. On the lookout for done 18” cup wheels so I’ll have a better idea then but the 19’ tyres are like rubber bands.
Clutch is very light. A lot of people mention it’s maybe too light.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Thought I should update this thread. The Megane is SOLD!!!! I didn't think I would sell it as the best car I have ever owned. I will definately buy another(hopefully a well specced Trophy) when funds allow.

You are probably wondering why. The last couple of years my family holiday has been travelling through France and Italy in a camper. Something I convinced myself I would hate. However they have been the best holidays as a family we have ever had. Last year we spent a week at Lake Como and it was stunning.

We hired a VW camper to see how we got on. It answered some questions in relation to what spec we wanted if to buy. This was basically a LWB T5, 1.9tdi, full width rock and roll bed, no pop top roof(waste imo), leisure battery, mains hook up, water and gas hob. Would be my daily so needed to be reliable, reasonably economical and something we could all enjoy as a family.

Well @Somnambulist was interested in buying the car back. I found a van I was really interested in, but out of my budget without selling the Megane. A deal was done, which involved me taking on a very nice RB 182, which I have since sold on to a really nice bloke and new forum member@LostInSpace to pay the different off on my credit card for the van.

Plan is to do a few bits to the van including custom retrim, bit of paint, tow bar for the track car, awning, bike rack to name a few bits. I will start a new thread for this if anyone is interested.

I will also hopefully get occasional use of the Megane. It is in good hands and already has the paintwork on the front bumper done.

Anyone thinking of buying a RS 250/265/275 do it! Such a great involving car that put a smile on my face every time I drove it. Had finances allowed it would definately not have been sold.

Didn’t see that coming! You spoke do fondly of it.

535d / t5 caravelle
i really do like these megs, if i ever get shut of the mini, these will be up there in the short list.

we are getting a vw transporter next, not for a year or 2, and not a camper, a kombi/caravelle or whatever they are.

I'll keep an eye out for the thread[emoji1303]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk