ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-tec Exhaust, MOT Time

Hi all has anyone had any issues when it comes to MOT time with their K-tec exhaust systems on their 172's ?
long story short mines failed because its "too loud" says the tester, so i took the vehicle to another mot station and same again " too loud". on the failure sheet it says,
"exhaust noise is clearly in the excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition"

The vehicle is a 172 cup running a K-tec recessed exhaust with a supersport center pipe. I've still got the cat fitted and the emissions are fine . I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same issues since the new mot rules or its just the fact the mot testers are super anal ?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Have you got any DB readings from the exhaust??

You usually need to be stupid loud to fail on noise, where are you located? Someone might know a place.

I'm afraid i don't have any DB readings for the exhaust, would be nice to find out what the DB readings are.
yeah that's what I've always thought if its stupidly loud. I wouldn't say this system is that loud to be honest, I'm down in Hastings East Sussex.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
With the new rules that came in play in May 2018, exhausts are tested for noise at the same time as the high ilde emissions test.

Unless you can find a friendly garage, you're knackered really.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't they need to know the original db reading though? or do those exist for the 172 cup?

yeah this is what i was worried about!, looks like i might have to find a DB killer and slap it in the tail pipe.

well i said to the mot tester about DB readings and how dose he know what i normal 172 sound like, he just came back saying sitting in the car gave him an ear ache lol, i did mention its got no sound proofing and got uprated engine, exhaust mounts so it probably have more vibrations and noises, still didn't help matters