ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K Tec top mounts

Clio 172 mk2
Just fitted these and theres noticeably more knocking when I go over bumps. Is this normal? I know that obviously I have effectively got a solid connection now and so I expected a bit more vibration etc, but just wondered if I have highlighted a further problem or if its simply the damper topping out or something?

RSC 182 Cup
I haven't got them but have read a few threads from people making similar comments. One guy on ClioTrophy forums removed them because they were so annoying.

But then again.... two people in Australia have got them and reckon they don't make any noise???

Are they installed correctly and tightened fully?

Clio 172 mk2
Yes they're definately fitted correctly...I checked with K TEC to be sure and I tightened everything up with an impact gun so I would have thought its tight! And used the correct C spanner on the mountings. I've got a feeling that the lower arm bushes are shot so have ordered some poly bushes for these, if this doesnt sort it then theyre coming off again

Clio 172 mk2
Nut runner, driver, whatever yes....14v Makita to be exact, very handy bit of kit....especially for removing / fitting the OE top mounts, without the need for a torx bit and without spinning the spring off its cup

you should never do them up with an impact gun imo.

How have you got them fitted? Is the spring seated correctly in the top hat?

My compbrake ones are fine, there similar to the ktec ones, no knocking etc.

Clio 172 mk2
Springs are perfect in the cups, fitted corrrectly, torqued up correctly. They are fitting as they should be. I don't see the problem with using an impact gun...Its not as though theres a bearing to over tighten (its a rose joint) and they were tightened off the car so I know the cup / springs are in place.

no but your spinning the damper, and thats a problem from what ive read.

Should go like this-

topmount-2.gif

Clio 172 mk2
Thats how I have it...except I used to spacer that came with the kit not the renault one? Its definately tight anyway :)

Just fitted these and theres noticeably more knocking when I go over bumps.

When i fitted the compbrake 1's to mine they did the same, sounded like sumthin was loose(but wasnt) and reli got on me nerves, in the end i went back to reno 1's.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
I have the AST Mounts, had a Major bang / knock from them but found that was down to the Shock Nut being loose.

Tightened it up by hand and No noise what so ever from them.

Clio 172 mk2
Thanks for the replies. I'll just have to go over everything with a fine toothcomb again at the week-end when I do the wishbone bushes. If I cant find the knock ill just throw a spanner at it and order some crappy OE top mounts :-(

did you tighten the topmounts with the impact gun with the car on the floor or with it in the air?

As 172ben says you shouldn't use the impact gun to tighten it if the shock is not weight bearing as you will just spin everything up top. Doing it when the cars on the ground will tighten it up nicely (but not OTT) and not damage anything.

+ There is no problem in using an impact gun especially if it is a 100N/m like the badger I think you've got (use similar) that's a good amount of force without being OTT. If you whack a 300N/m pneumatic gun on there to do them up you have a different story lol

Clio 172 mk2
Both. Just enough to pull the spacer flat to the top spring cup whilst off the car and then finished it off with the weight on it. I also checked everything manually afterwards.

Clio 172 mk2
There is definately nothing out of place and nothin moved by using an impact gun....I made sure of that as I was apprehesive using it on the first strut. If it helps, the knock is on both sides except the off-side is more noticeable.

There is definately nothing out of place and nothin moved by using an impact gun....I made sure of that as I was apprehesive using it on the first strut. If it helps, the knock is on both sides except the off-side is more noticeable.

mmm have you tried getting some weight on the top struts and bouncing the car (as much as you can) see if you can see anything moving?

+ is this in a straight line driving or just turning?

lastly, does it make it when you come off a bump - like a speed bump - almost like a topout clunk?

With regard to the impact guns they are fine for jobs like this, they don't actually exert as much torque as someone with a 2 foot bar cranking them, its just they use the 'impact' vibrations to help the nut tighten.

Clio 172 mk2
No not tried that, I'll give it a go. It knocks on small bumps, turning or straight line driving at any speed, but its not a metal on metal knock, its almost like a knackered bush type sound.

yeah get some weight on the top strut chassis in the engine bay and give it a bounce see if anything is awry. Apart from that its hard to diagnose via the tinterweb lol

Another thought - did you take the shock right out to fit the topmounts? If your running coilies you haven't by chance left the camber adjustment bolt a bit loose when refitting?

Clio 172 mk2
I did have the spring out yes but I'm running standard sus matey. I'll give it a bounce when I get chance! lol

b/g 182, meg tourer
i had the same problem with these. they knocked and banged even on fairly smooth tarmac. tried everything to solve the problem, even made up some metal washers to try to solve it. nothing worked. sent them back to k-tec and they gave me a credit note. they said they tested them on their car and they were fine and have had no other complaints.

b/g 182, meg tourer
No not tried that, I'll give it a go. It knocks on small bumps, turning or straight line driving at any speed, but its not a metal on metal knock, its almost like a knackered bush type sound.

the sound you are describing sounds just like the one i had, it became un-bareable.

Clio 172 mk2
I've got a hunch its my lower arm bushes, so ill let you know when I change them at the weekend for powerflex jobbies :) (any knock is surely amplified by having solid mounts?)

b/g 182, meg tourer
I've got a hunch its my lower arm bushes, so ill let you know when I change them at the weekend for powerflex jobbies :) (any knock is surely amplified by having solid mounts?)

well, when i changed back to standard top mounts the noise stopped. it was the top mount knocking on the side of the turret.

b/g 182, meg tourer
because the paint had rubbed off the turret and the blue anodising had rubbed away slightly on the top mount.
on the inside edge of the turret. where the threads for the top mount go through.

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah, you could try something like that, im still not sure how you would actually stop the noise tho. it was almost like it would not go tight enough.
have a play with it and see what you can do.