ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

k-tec turbo is it ready yet

Ph1

Does anybody know how the turbo kit for the 172 is coming along ?

Is it out yet ? If not when ?

Just that theres this Cavalier turbo knocking about my local cruise thats the it car at the moment meant to be really quick, not sure what bhp but Id guess about 250bhp ,so Id love to get a conversion done to wipe the smile off his face......or at least dream of doing He He He

Are there any other conversions options that can be done that would boost the 172s performance significantly ?..... money no object but must be 100% reliable.

Cheers

Ph1

Quote: Originally posted by Iain C on 17 April 2004

Money no object?? Get an evo 7 then!:confused:

Yer but that easy isnt it.......a 250+bhp 172 is going to get far more respect ,and suprise a few people ,than just going out and buying an EVO anyone can do that....anyway I dont want to sell my Clio.....just looking at the future options at the mow.

£6k for the turbo kit all installed (or there abouts)

Romaers TB kit will be about £3.5k I think but that wont include fitment I dont think (so another grand) Although with head work an cars (another ~£900) youll be looking at about 230~240hp

Ph1

Anyone that gets blown away by a Evo isnt going to be too suprised are they......if the lad at my cruise with his say 250bhp turbod Cav got blown away by a 172 he maybe a little surprised to say the least.....as for the buying a Evo thing I couldnt really afford one either... I was just meaning that it would be easy to go out and buy a quicker car, but that wasnt what I was asking.

I just wanted to know the ultimate 172 conversions really.....Thanks Edde, if theres one lad on here you can rely on to give you a knowledgeable answer its this man cheers m8 (y)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

Quote: Originally posted by _KDF on 17 April 2004
That the k-tec demo car ?

yeah i think so! tis mint!

Lionel Richie

Update, just back from Donny, 172 turbo was MINT!!!!

Carbon splitter was on there (gonna be £89ish)

Mk2 phs1 Carbon bonnet was there also (mk1 V6 shape)

Carbon Koncept spoiler was also on the turbo 172

Ph1

Now you no why I posted this topic......just f***** look at it man.... wooooooooooooooooow

Any performance figures 0-60, 0-100, top speed etc please tell us more !!!

Holy Sheeit, thats taken the sting out of the £6k price. Whats this about Roamer doing a 230-240 TB for the 172 @ around £4.5K !? :eek: id deffo get a turbo for 4K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! although 240bhp isnt as much as the 260bhp Ktec..

Whats the Stats on this thing.. surley theve been doing runs 0-60 0-100 30-70 .. has the top speed increased by much ????

Honestly thats really a nice thing they have there, MINT is all i can say.

Should be no trouble installing it to a 182/172 or Cup. Same engines realy.

Top sped wont be increased much as the box is the week link as you can top out in top gear normally so youll get there faster but same top speed.

As for Roamers kit well he got 212 with his but I dont know how he was going on with a production kit and he never admitted on the forum how much it cost to do (ASAIK). The guess was 230~240 as this is about what the French kit does.

Roamers car had a normal cams and stock head which is likly to have been one of the limiting features of the engine. Romaers stock kit I would guess to be £4k the other grand would get you the extra power out of the head and more advanced cams.

Wheather you would notice another 20hp from K-Tecs kit is questionable as grip is going to be a limiting factor. Depends what you want Id go TB if I was looking at one but each to there own.

No idea of spec there was a large post a while ago about the k-Tec kit as its a foreign kit K-tec just install it. Best search for the thread.

yup dont see why not.. although a 182 may still ONLY run 260.. @ 6k it is pricey but @ 4k the level of people choosing this option would be high.. so i hope roamer is doing a 240bhp TB, err.. then i can push it to 260 for a laugh :D

BTW the impreza STI UK spec with 265Bhp is 60 in 5.4 @ 1470Kgs kerb weight

Imagine the 172/182/cup @ 260Bhp . kerb weight is something like 1035 - 1070kgs so even if its 1070kgs ((it certainly isnt any heavier than that)) it would have a 400kg weight advantage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats awesome. Id guess 0-60 @ anwhere between 5.0 - 4.7 with right tyres etc.. IMO

thats faster than a Ferrari 456M GT Scaglietti up to 60 if nothing else

:cool:

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!

£6,000 though. Cmon thats just silly.

BMW 320d Sport

James only just flagged this thread up for me, but its interesting for sure. Sometihng thats pretty clear to me is that all this talk of 240bhp, 260 bhp...it could be 1000 bloody bhp and youd still only clock a 4.5 second 0-60 in a Clio. It is a front wheel drive car and the bottom line is, it limits traction. My Clio is supposed to be running around 250bhp and the same lbft of torque. But if someone said to me, your cars sh*t, it only makes 220bhp, Id say bobbins to them cos it still wheelspins in 3rd gear so who needs any more power?

The turbo conversion, if its built right, will be reliable and strong. Plus you avoid the problems of highly tuned NA engines whereby the more power you get out of them, the further up the revs you are pushing the power band and the less of a handy (for everyday driving) flat torque spread you are seeing across the low-mid parts of the revs. A turbo conversion of an already good engine will be quality in every department, my valver certainly responded very well to it.

As far as the rest of it goes, youd need a whacking great exhaust, basically as big as you want, probably 2.5" to 3" diameter all the way through from the turbo to the tailpipe would be about right. Any less and youd choke the turbo and not see the bhp you wanted. Standard clutch would die as soon as you were harsh with it, something like kevlar semi-paddle clutch is what you need. Brakes would need upgrading by the same amount that youve made the car quicker. You can never have too much braking though. As a guide, Ive got 325mm 4 pots on mine and it stops it like youve thrown out an anchor. But it needs 17s and 5mm less offset than normal just to fit them in, and you seriously couldnt get a fag paper in the gap between rim and caliper LOL. Clios arent that heavy so an upgrade to 300-310mm 4- pots on the front would do the trick easily.

yea 6k is silly. but @ 4k many people would buy for 260bhp TB. whos gonna do it for 4K ?! :) hopefully someone like BBperformance tuning to compete and steal vital sales. even 4.5K is bearable..

also Ktec emailed me and stated that @ 260bhp there was no need for an LSD and they can get the power down.. thing is, what about the knocking which clios get under extreme acceleration? and yea brakes and clutch after that perhaps? pushing the cost up..

still an impressive achievement even if it only ever takes shape as a demo car or for rich sods.

£4000 and il get one. come on bbtuning kick ktec ass !!!

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 17 April 2004

yup dont see why not.. although a 182 may still ONLY run 260.. @ 6k it is pricey but @ 4k the level of people choosing this option would be high.. so i hope roamer is doing a 240bhp TB, err.. then i can push it to 260 for a laugh :D
Id guess 0-60 @ anwhere between 5.0 - 4.7 with right tyres etc.. IMO
The problem is the Clio is FWD so wheels spins with 260hp where as an AWD or RWD car wont as much. 5 second to 60 in FWD is quite an achiement dont think the Clio would do that whatever turbo kit 7.2 seconds is what the foreign manurfacturer get from there 172 turbo (http://www.terra.com.mx/automovil/articulo/116129/see here)

You can get over 300hp normally aspirated from the 2.0 liter engine but ow much it would cost I dont know.

Any more than 250 though from T/B is difficult IMO and expensive youd need to rev the engine harder to 8.5k I recon and that close to valve problems.

Im not sure Romer will be putting it into some sort of kit though. But you could do it again from scratch or contact the other foreign companies who do kits.

The K-Tec kit is £3k to £3.5k I think so you could do it yourself for under 4k. But there will be a lot of work as the engine would need to be stripped down as the pistons are replaced. There is a reason that a K-Tec employee went to Argentina (I think) to learn how to put the kit together so I guess that its not exactly easy. £3k worth of work isnt simple.

Youll probably need an uprated clutch as well not sure if the kit included oen but with some sympathy the box should be fine.

As for a LSD well there isnt one at the moment unfortunatly you could ahev soem custom work but it will be £2k+ for one. Anyway just go easy at very low speeds and you shold be fine.

Brakes well depends how you use the power, you should uprate them but there powerful standard. Maybe uprated disks fluid and pads would be enough. But extra power doesnt mean uprated brakes as unless you using the extra power to get to faster speeds before braking there should be no problem.

Youll ned a full exhaust IMO. A bigger indution kit is included though with the turbo kit.

Wheather they sell any is unimportant it publicity. Sure they will sell one or two but its the publicy which is more important

The 182 is unlikly to gain any more power than a 172/cup would with the kit. The 182 has only a few mods to increase the power and most of them are / would be replaced anyway.

Clio v6

" 7.2 seconds is what the foreign manurfacturer get from there 172 turbo"

Dont they do that as standard??

"" turbo kit 7.2 seconds is what the foreign manurfacturer get from there 172 turbo (http://www.terra.com.mx/automovil/articulo/116129/see here)"""

hang on a sec 7.2 seconds to sixty with the turbo ? thats slower than my N/A 172 ? surley it will be faster other wise theres no point. The whole point of turboing the clio (ktec or whoever)) is to gain a MUCH faster acceleration time, especially seen as top speed isnt effected. and if its not any faster up top it has to be seriously quicker accelerating for six thousand pounds. Its a really cool idea but for that money id sell my clio add 6k and have £14K + new small loan and its brand new Subaru WRX prodrive. :confused:

Battery in the boot I think as space is at a premium. Should help with weigh balance as well.

You can get a supercharger kit for the 1.6 by the way and turbo car and a TB car has been done Im sure. The 1.6 is more common abroad that over here. The company who make the 2.0 kit are making a 1.6 kit so K-tec will probably be selling that as well along with there forth comming 1.2 turbo kit.

T/B has been done quite a few times but Roamers the first UK one and he did it from scratch.

I have to admit Ive no idea of the figures for the turbo I was just trying to make sence of the link I cannot read the language though.

Anyway spending 6k on a Clio just for the performance is a waste its not productive but modding isnt in general. Your best off with a faster car.

If you want you can buy the turbo kit for £3060 from the manurfacturer. Not including Uk taxes and shipping

Ive just found the Clio turbo thread 60 is in about 5.5 seconds.

Quote: Originally posted by OLLZIE on 17 April 2004

where can i purchase a supercharger from? edde
Ive sent you a PM if you could paste it here It would be useful thanks.

Supercharging the 1.6 shouldnt be to hard depending upon how far you push it.

If your sticking to normal pistons and head gasget the max Id push it to is 0.4 bar so ~140hp. With a bigger head gasget hence lower compression maybe 0.6 bar so ~160hp. With some new pistons max of about 1 bar so ~200hp.

Prices for a 0.4 bar conversion would be about £4500 a bigger head gasget would cost about an extra £100 maybe and forged low compression pistons £800 extra.

Then installation of the kit your looking at £1k for a 0.4 bar kit another £200 for a bigger head gastget and for new pistons installed for maybe £300.

The kit is availiable but since its foreign youll have to pay for the TUC costs that the manurfacturer has had to put up with to sell the kit.

Best ring up somone who doe the Saxo/106 supercharger kits. The engine are the same size although compression ratio is higher on the Clio engine so you cannot run as hig boost without needing to lower the compression via pistons or head gasget work.

Ph1

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 17 April 2004

"" turbo kit 7.2 seconds is what the foreign manurfacturer get from there 172 turbo (http://www.terra.com.mx/automovil/articulo/116129/see here)"""

hang on a sec 7.2 seconds to sixty with the turbo ? thats slower than my N/A 172 ? surley it will be faster other wise theres no point. The whole point of turboing the clio (ktec or whoever)) is to gain a MUCH faster acceleration time, especially seen as top speed isnt effected. and if its not any faster up top it has to be seriously quicker accelerating for six thousand pounds. Its a really cool idea but for that money id sell my clio add 6k and have £14K + new small loan and its brand new Subaru WRX prodrive. :confused:
I imagine the 7.2 to 60 will be to compensate for the excess wheelspin [ rings similar bells to what people were saying about the LAD conversion but I wont start that old chestnut up again ]

As for being quicker you dont gain an extra 100bhp and feel nothing. The extra power will come in some where, I imagine in the in gear acceleration times.....this conversion must surely be the ultimate for the 172s