ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M engine build

Tomo3292

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 1.6 K4m
So I've been toying with the idea of putting a K4M engine in my clio that I will be using for short Tarmac venue rallies.

I'm not looking at spending millions, and the reason being I haven't used a 172,182 is that I fancy developing something a bit different.

I've been doing a bit of research into either using the twingo 133 engine or the 1.6 Clio GT, with a bit of head porting, CAMS, maybe some ARP Bolts if I can get hold of them, lightened Flywheel and a decent exhaust manifold.

Anyone one here either use the 133 K4M or the clio GT engine just after some advice about both, and what's the difference if there is any.

Cheers!

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
Clio2 never had a 1.6 with vvt, so You should sort it out with the ECU.
Other than that, go for usual mods people do to their K4M

Clio mk2 1.4 16v
K4M builds are often discouraged as they wont make power NA
Like building a D series Honda :)
i love the K4J/M engines
I/you can adapt clio 172 and 182 exhaust manifolds to fit k4m engines i have the flange designs if you want them
No need for aftermarket cams or vvt

Clio II
i love the K4J/M engines
I/you can adapt clio 172 and 182 exhaust manifolds to fit k4m engines i have the flange designs if you want them

Hello I'm new to this forum and I'm upgrading my Clio II 1.6 K4M. I recently bought Clio 172 exhaust but I saw that they are different size than K4M.

Aliween1400, that flange desing you have can make 172 exhaust fit into k4m? Can you please share it?

clio mk2 1.2 16v 02
i love the K4J/M engines
Could you send me the k4j manifold flange file please

Dacia Logan 1.6 16v
I managed to put a 1.6 16v on my Clio (which was a 1.2 8v in the beginning).

I put on a Twingo133 intake manifold, with 169 Clio cable throttle body, custom exhaust 4-2-1 manifold, a decent software, head port&polish, custom gearbox (Thalia/Kangoo Dci gearbox case, with a short ratio final drive, dci driveshafts). Goes mad after 3800-4000 rot/min.

Was better for me to build it like this, because I had almost all the parts available, at least the engine and gearbox internals were in my garage.

Clio 2 HB 1.6 16v
i love the K4J/M engines

Hi Aliween, I was looking for this, I pm you! (y)

Np200
I managed to put a 1.6 16v on my Clio (which was a 1.2 8v in the beginning).

I put on a Twingo133 intake manifold, with 169 Clio cable throttle body, custom exhaust 4-2-1 manifold, a decent software, head port&polish, custom gearbox (Thalia/Kangoo Dci gearbox case, with a short ratio final drive, dci driveshafts). Goes mad after 3800-4000 rot/min.

Was better for me to build it like this, because I had almost all the parts available, at least the engine and gearbox internals were in my garage.

I am new here. Would like to know what power you made/making? As i am currently bolt on stock. Exhaust/Intake and a remap and would like a bit more power.

And does the twingo intake manifold fit without mods?

4GTS/7.5R/182
Similar story to @Dsign, though mine was the mk2 1.2 16v as a baseline and so it shared the brakes and a few other components of the 1.6 16v.

Mine had off the shelf upgrades (this was before the time of the Twingo RS), BMC airfilter with a custom ram air intake, bit like what a Golf R has. Supersprint headers, decat, custom backbox. Catcams (forgot what number), ported heads and a custom remap. All in all, very expensive stuff and the cams in particular sacrificed a good deal of low down torque. Standard intake manifold btw.

On the dyno it made 142ps at the peak of the mods, from around 112ps measured standard. Take numbers with a pinch of salt etc but this is perhaps a greater % gain than you would get by modding the F4R in a similar way, there is definitely more room to improve the K4M as one would expect.

After that experience, driving the 182 just felt like adding all of the torque back in again, with still more top end power. There's no escaping the extra displacement adds far more than any basic N/A mods can do.

That said, modding is fun so if improving the K4M is your thing, so long as you're happy with the cost and limitations then the engine can make good power. You'll also have less weight to carry round which partly negates the loss of torque.

Np200
Similar story to @Dsign, though mine was the mk2 1.2 16v as a baseline and so it shared the brakes and a few other components of the 1.6 16v.

Mine had off the shelf upgrades (this was before the time of the Twingo RS), BMC airfilter with a custom ram air intake, bit like what a Golf R has. Supersprint headers, decat, custom backbox. Catcams (forgot what number), ported heads and a custom remap. All in all, very expensive stuff and the cams in particular sacrificed a good deal of low down torque. Standard intake manifold btw.

On the dyno it made 142ps at the peak of the mods, from around 112ps measured standard. Take numbers with a pinch of salt etc but this is perhaps a greater % gain than you would get by modding the F4R in a similar way, there is definitely more room to improve the K4M as one would expect.

After that experience, driving the 182 just felt like adding all of the torque back in again, with still more top end power. There's no escaping the extra displacement adds far more than any basic N/A mods can do.

That said, modding is fun so if improving the K4M is your thing, so long as you're happy with the cost and limitations then the engine can make good power. You'll also have less weight to carry round which partly negates the loss of torque.
Thanks man, appreciate your reply. Do you perhaps the dynograph?