ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K4M Faulty Pencil Coils

Are t common signs of these failing things like making the car shake at idle, shudder when accelerating, give out a sulphur smell from the exhaust and put a flashing emissions light on the dash?

Well it's either a coil or the lambda sensor so this is easier this way. best bit to check them is to take them out one at a time aint it?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
yea, engine running, unscrew the 10mm bolts or t30 screws whichever it has holding the coils down, then lift them out one at a time.

Take if when the engine note unchanges after taking one out then thats the shagged one.

If I take all of them out and nothing changes, any idea's what to change next?

Polo + Micra
i think it's easier to unplug the supply cables to the coils rather than unbolting them (thats what i did in the car park of cardiff renault lol)

yeah it will cut out most probs if you unplug a good un and not change on the bad un

but it did sound like a pulse jet on the drive there lol

E36 M3. 182
Apparently you cant test for faulty coils by un plugging them, something to do with them sharing a voltage, un plugging one shags the other one... best bet is to undo the screws holding the coils in and remove them one at a time while the engine is running and holding the tip against the fuel rail guard (or a metal bit of the engine) I wound up changing the full set for peace of mind, as not one of my 4 old ones were the same as another!!

Polo + Micra
i wouldn't of thought they would share a voltage as that would mean they fire in pairs

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
will be fine if ur just lifting them out, as above if the engine doesnt react to you removing the coil, then thats your faulty one.