ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep my 172 Cup or Buy a 200?

PH1 V6
Hi People,

Pretty straightforward question really and would just like some opinions....

I drive approx 12k miles a year and use my car every day for work purposes and social etc.

My cup is great but i am tempted by a 200. I have arranged a test drive in one with Richard from CDC on here, so will drive one first and make sure i like it!

My quesion to you is.... should i keep the cup and perhaps spend a little on it (it will cost me money in maintanence naturally due to age and mileage - 87k miles), or, buy a 200...

The costs work out the same to keep the cup and spend a few pennies, or buy the 200 and keep it how it is :)

My cup is fairly standard other than exhaust, uprated mounts etc. Its also had all the belts done along with a full service only 6 weeks ago.

Thoughts welcome

I had a 172cup for a few weeks back there while still waiting on my 200. The 200 is in a completley different league tbh.

When looking at the 200, check out the non cup as it works out near enough the same price as a cup but you get alot of extras.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much what Dave said, it's a fantastic deal on a freaking good car.

But I think Harpham did his sums of keeping the car, ie tyres/brakes/tlc and he decided a 200 was a good bet.

Also you'll have a nice new shiny car to show off. To some that's worth 6k alone!

PH1 V6
This is the thing...

My 172 Cup is great, infact i love it, however it will like any car its age need new parts as time goes on which will cost money! The 200 is under warranty which is also attractive, and it is also cheaper to insure than my 172 lol.... what attracts me is having a new car thats within warranty and that (touch wood) i dont have to fork out for maintaining it (within the first few years anyway), apart from servicing and tyres ofcourse!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Get one then. Treat yourself.

It's not going to be as raw as the cup but it's awesome having a new car and i'm sure you'll get used to it.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Storm Grey, black speedlines, recaro's, cup chassis, cornering lights...end!

PH1 V6
Storm Grey, black speedlines, recaro's, cup chassis, cornering lights...end!

Funnily enough that was one of the colours i would look at!! or red with black speedlines! white is too common now unfortunately so i want to be different! For me i need those recaros though! expensive but they finish the car off imo

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Don't get white or blue.

I'd get AG, cup spoiler, speedlines and caro's, cup chassis. Colour I can come and go on though! :eek:

Then come selling time you'll realise why you did what you did.

PH1 V6
Don't get white or blue.

I'd get AG, cup spoiler, speedlines and caro's, cup chassis. Colour I can come and go on though! :eek:

Then come selling time you'll realise why you did what you did.

Gally thats exactly it.... as nice as the white is, in a few years time when it comes to selling it on, the market will be flooded with them! Its like the equivilant of buying a RB 182... not many where made so everyone wants one lol... wheras the iceburg silver 1*2 are very common!

AG doesnt really do it for me if im honest. I think il go storm grey with black speedlines, caro's, cup chassis and the cup spoiler too! or red.... :)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm, I love red cars but SG is unique. SG NEEDS the cup soiler to work as the colour is "hard" so it's need the spoiler.

Good choice. The grey pisses over the "Normal" Red.

182 has now gone!
Ollie's friend works for SMC and he had a red 200 with every spec and black speedlines .. Looked lush, I dont really like red cars but def an option if I was looking to get a 200...

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
if you do 12k a year and the pcp only allows 6k id be worried about how much you will pay on the final payment. Isnt it 10p per mile?
So its 6k of dead money + what ever else you have to pay.
Not saying its a bad thing its a great deal tbh just something to think about.
Rich will see you right tho

if you do 12k a year and the pcp only allows 6k id be worried about how much you will pay on the final payment. Isnt it 10p per mile?
So its 6k of dead money + what ever else you have to pay.
Not saying its a bad thing its a great deal tbh just something to think about.
Rich will see you right tho

6p for every mile over... So £60 for every 1,000 you go over.
But that only comes into play if he will be giving the car back after 2 years.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
6p for every mile over... So £60 for every 1,000 you go over.
But that only comes into play if he will be giving the car back after 2 years.
Ah ok fair enough.
Give the 200 a drive, go over the numbers and take it from there.
Richard's demo car looks stunning tho! gw, black roof, recaros, speedlines. Saw it the other night and i was full of want! lol

PH1 V6
Ah ok fair enough.
Give the 200 a drive, go over the numbers and take it from there.
Richard's demo car looks stunning tho! gw, black roof, recaros, speedlines. Saw it the other night and i was full of want! lol

Yeah well if i do get one then its going to have to have all the extras in terms of Recaro's, speedlines, spoiler etc :)

Yeah well if i do get one then its going to have to have all the extras in terms of Recaro's, speedlines, spoiler etc :)

Will you be planning to keep it after the 2 years, out of interest?

The reason why I didnt spec mine up was because ill probably end up giving it back (although I did only want the cup spoiler lol)

PH1 V6
Will you be planning to keep it after the 2 years, out of interest?

The reason why I didnt spec mine up was because ill probably end up giving it back (although I did only want the cup spoiler lol)

Well it depends.... who knows what il want in 2 years time lol.... but there would be a strong possibility i would buy it back... and sell it privately if needs be! Depends.... but if im having it for 2 years then i want to make sure i own a car which i love every bit of it! so may aswell go all out! lol... where the options like the spoiler expensivei? i know the cost of Recaro's etc :)

Well it depends.... who knows what il want in 2 years time lol.... but there would be a strong possibility i would buy it back... and sell it privately if needs be! Depends.... but if im having it for 2 years then i want to make sure i own a car which i love every bit of it! so may aswell go all out! lol... where the options like the spoiler expensivei? i know the cost of Recaro's etc :)

Good point... The Cup Spoiler is £400 iirc (I know you can get it for like £170 + spraying costs, so didnt bother with that - I know a professional sprayer who would do it for like £30). I think the Speedlines are quite cheap at £180???
Dunno about the rest tbh. They were the only 2 that I had any interest in.

PH1 V6
Good point... The Cup Spoiler is £400 iirc (I know you can get it for like £170 + spraying costs, so didnt bother with that - I know a professional sprayer who would do it for like £30). I think the Speedlines are quite cheap at £180???
Dunno about the rest tbh. They were the only 2 that I had any interest in.

K tec sell the cup spoiler for £200 and i too have a friend who could spray it for about £50 all in so may do that afterwards.... :)

Harpham - is there any limitations in terms of upgrading the clio once you have bought it? I imagine this would never be an issue if you bought it at the end of the 2 years, however if giving it back it would need to be in standard form..... i can ask Richard but thought id ask here incase you knew? wouldnt be looking to mod it but just incase :)

You can sell the car and pay the finance off directy, trade it into another garage or chop it back into renault.

If you were buying a brand new one and financing it via the bank or paid hard cash for it, then come 2 years time its going to have lost near enough the same amount give or take a few hundred.

If your winning and the car is worth more at the end of the pcp then sell private. If the market slumps and they are worth less than the GFV then you've not lost.

K tec sell the cup spoiler for £200 and i too have a friend who could spray it for about £50 all in so may do that afterwards.... :)

Harpham - is there any limitations in terms of upgrading the clio once you have bought it? I imagine this would never be an issue if you bought it at the end of the 2 years, however if giving it back it would need to be in standard form..... i can ask Richard but thought id ask here incase you knew? wouldnt be looking to mod it but just incase :)

You can get the Cup Spoiler for even cheaper than that from Wests Renault (£180 iirc) or £165.96 from a guy on Clio200.net who works for some kind of Renault parts company. ;)

I wouldnt have thought so. At the end of the day, it is your car. I dont think there would be any issues unless you went over the top and stripped etc. I bet an exhaust system & things like that would be ok?! But im not totally sure tbh, Rich is your man for that lol.
Its something I didnt think to ask as I wasnt planning on doing anything to the car.

PH1 V6
You can get the Cup Spoiler for even cheaper than that from Wests Renault (£180 iirc) or £165.96 from a guy on Clio200.net who works for some kind of Renault parts company. ;)

I wouldnt have thought so. At the end of the day, it is your car. I dont think there would be any issues unless you went over the top and stripped etc. I bet an exhaust system & things like that would be ok?! But im not totally sure tbh, Rich is your man for that lol.
Its something I didnt think to ask as I wasnt planning on doing anything to the car.

Yeah i will ask him and update on here :) I wouldnt plan on doing anything to it.... and would also need to check that if i did would it invalidate the warranty or anything! I havent heard a 200 as standard but i could imagine a nice Miltek Exhaust upgrade would sound pretty healthy :)

Yeah i will ask him and update on here :) I wouldnt plan on doing anything to it.... and would also need to check that if i did would it invalidate the warranty or anything! I havent heard a 200 as standard but i could imagine a nice Miltek Exhaust upgrade would sound pretty healthy :)

Its alot quieter to what im used to (upgrading from a 172 with ktec supersport exhaust inc. decat) but the noise from the engine sounds amazing!
It is nice to be able to hear the radio over the exhaust again though ;)

Let me know how you get on with that question, as im quite interested to know.

Nothing at the mo :(
Coming from your good mate who tooks foking ages to do your engine mounts lol.. I would say get the 200 mate :D Nicer driver. warranty so no worries. plus you got a prebuilt track car really as they are pretty good for track

Keep the Cup and when it becomes a pit chuck it in for something else.

Buying a brand new Renault FTL.

All IMO.

I learnt the first time

PH1 V6
FLOL, is it you that did them?!!!

Their ghetto 'two nuts on top of each other' ness reminded me of something that id do :rasp:

LOL yes bodge FTW!

End of the day it works. There is a reason why there are two nuts on there though. Its until i get a new mount casting as the original was cracked so i had to use a washer in the meantime.