ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keep the Clio for another year?

Ive had the Clio since new. It's now 2 years old and carrying 32k under its belt. I've been ready to order an R26 for a few weeks now. However, I took the Clio out for a drive via some country lanes earlier, and I'm now considering keeping it another year. I wanted to sell it before the 36k service but now I'm not sure...

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
With only 4k till the service i'd keep it at least another 6k and then you'll have a bargining chip when it comes to sell (you having done the service)

M

mij29

The Meg is nice but the Clio F1 looks cool, what do you think...... Tempted??

Els

Inferno 182 Cup
looked on Renault's site and the spec does look slower than the 182.... not good really is it to say that it is 197bhp

looked on Renault's site and the spec does look slower than the 182.... not good really is it to say that it is 197bhp

It has (apparently) 197ps which should be about 194bhp in traditional terms. However, in straight line pace it under performs biblically for a car that is meant to be an upgrade to the 182. I'd be amazed if any 197 was putting out more than 190bhp. While the 197 is a fantastic car, it feels slower than a 182, and is a good 2 seconds slower to 100mph. That's fine, but no, it's not an upgrade for me :)

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

Its six and two threes really.

The 182 is a very fun, involving hot hatch, very much gives you the sense of driving the car.

The 197 is grown up, less involing (some might say lacking in character), heavier, so slower in a straigh line, but very easy to corner quickly in.

Roy, at a RR day we had today the 182's struggled to break 180bhp, and they were modified, i'm not sure any of teh RS CLios make there book bhp figures (cept the 172 Cups, they just seem to be very good engines)

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I would keep it, I am in the same situation and am going to hang onto mine and then get rid of it a few months before the warranty runs out.

182 inside
considering values of used car market these days. would it not be better to keep clio?
If i had the 182 cup, I know what the answer would be!

Roy, at a RR day we had today the 182's struggled to break 180bhp, and they were modified, i'm not sure any of teh RS CLios make there book bhp figures (cept the 172 Cups, they just seem to be very good engines)

Which is why I seriously doubt that the 197 even comes close to 190bhp, let alone 194 (or 197 as it implies despite the get-out PS clause)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
SELL IT NOW
You still have a years warranty and a years residuals left until you loose everything
Forget the service and sell it,someone will buy a car quicker with a years warranty than they will saying "oh its just had a service.
Get rid and get the meg

ian

182cup & 172 racecar

Which is why I seriously doubt that the 197 even comes close to 190bhp, let alone 194 (or 197 as it implies despite the get-out PS clause)
Are'nt these figures quoted at the flywheel? Because they will always be less at the wheels

Are'nt these figures quoted at the flywheel? Because they will always be less at the wheels

Yes. I meant that I doubt that any 197 would match 194bhp (adjusted) at the flywheel. I'm not even thinking about a 197 anyway. If I get rid of the 178 it will be for a Megane or something else.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
The book figures are at teh flywheel and the figures from the RR were at the Wheels then calculated back to the fly. Think we were given a printout of each.

Personally I'd sell it. I mean don't change cars unless you really want something different. Changing for the sake of change is pointless and you will miss the clio, whereas if you really have had enough you will move forward and not look back.

My two pence worth.
:)

Keep it.

Your obviously not completely sold on the R26 and still enjoy the 182.

How did you feel after you test drove the 182? Did you struggle to make a decision like you are now? I suspect not

Els

Inferno 182 Cup
How about keep if for a further 6months and see how you feel then....

Half way for ya

Hmmm cheers for all the valid advice so far :)

I didn't test drive the 182 before ordering it, but I think I would have to drive the R26 before ordering it.

Main reasons to upgrade. I'm a bit older and a bit richer, and the Sunday market cloth chairs do now bother me slightly. The steering wheel in the Clio is around 4ft in diameter. The drivers chair is too high, doesn't go far enough back, and even if it did I wouldn't be able to reach the gearstick, which is capped off with a knob made by Fisher Price.

The Megane = much nicer inside. Climate (not just AC). Far better looking (in my personal opinion ;)) 6 speeds and much lower revs at motorway speeds. Turbo power/torque so I wont have to keep stirring the 'box on the motorway to see off tailgating BMW diesels driven my Khunts. LSD and al that it implies :approve:

Last edited:
  Elise/VX220/R26
all depends what you want out of the car really. In all honesty I think I would only the impending arrival of kids would make me sell up, then yes the RS megane is the only car I would consider. The key thing you will loose is chuckability. Everything else if far superior in the megane, but it does weight 300kgs more theres no getting away fromthat fact!

106 GTi
Main reasons to upgrade ... the Sunday market cloth chairs do now bother me slightly.

The Megane = much nicer inside. Climate (not just AC)

I never thought I would read that from the Munson ! You used to defend the Cup like Seb does the 197 :clown: Should have got the Full Fat, 2 small issues to make you slightly more happy ;)

Maz

LY 200
pmsl just say it Roy.. your sick of the poverty spec arnt you .. nothing to do with age and money ;)

Nah. I made the decision to go for the Cup based on the reasons that were right for me at the time. I don't regret getting the Cup at all, it's just time for a change to something more comfortable and a bit quicker. I'm fairly certain I'd feel the same even if my exact same chairs were covered in Pound Stretcher vinyl and terry toweling. I may actually have got bored of it sooner, as I'd be pissed off with the extra toys falling off, leaking, and my steering wheel melting when the sun comes out. Shall I go on? ;)

Plus I meant proper climate in a decent dash with a nice blue display. Not an afterthought that looks like it's been made out of old spare parts from a 1980 Casio digital watch ;)

106 GTi
PMSL @ the last post.

Good come back, maybe it is the rusty bronze colour in most lights you dislike ;)

I think I've just convinced myself that the R26 is the best current upgrade option...things like the speed limiter are important to me as I use it all the time in my 182StigOfTheDump