ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keeping black cars clean

Renaultsport Clio 182
I'm probably going to view a 182 in black on sunday. I'm just worried about one thing...the colour. I mean I love cars in black when they're all nice and clean. But everyone says they are a pain to keep clean in both the summer and winter. Is this true? Is it as bad people make out? And will a metallic black show those horrible cob web effects in the paint too?

I'm appealing to all the black car owners out there! :D

BMW 120i Sport
Typically Black looks dirty very quickly and Silver looks the same clean or dirty ;). However, a well washed/polished black gold 182 looks gorgeous.

The cob web effects you refer to are swirl marks I presume? Just make sure you use a lambswool mit and don't take it through a car wash!

Vee dub
I personally wouldn't want a black one due to the marks it shows and keeping it clean.... But saying that.. be prepared to fall in love because the Black/Gold 182 I saw at Renault was simply stunning with those Cup pack wheels!

Caddy Maxi
i have a black valver, absolute b**ch to clean but looks ace when clean, my problem is i cant be arsed to wash it every week! my car is made for driving not washing :D

Renaultsport Clio 182
Yea I was thinking I may go for silver as my friends silver cars always look clean...even when they haven't been washed for a month!
Though I can't really be too picky, this 182 has done bugger all miles and is up for a really good price.

And looking through the gallery, clean black 182's look STUNNING!

renaultsport clio 182
mine 172 is odysey blue and like black shows dirt and dust very quickly but with a good wash and polish looks mint,its a pain in the ass through winter though.

182 w/busted splitter :-(
I have a black 182, and believe me, when it's clean, it's gorgeous - the problem is, in this country, with its wonderful weather, is keeping it clean!

If you're prepared to hand wash your car, and don't take it through car washes, keep it polished and invest the time in keeping it spotless, it will look stunning.

P.S. you're right about the Cup-Pack wheels, too!

Renaultsport Clio 182
I do like to keep my cars looking spotless and mint, hell it gets me down when it's all filthy during the winter! I've never ever put one of my cars through a carwash, so no probs there.

Don't think I'll regret it if I do go for black. The way it looks sooo good when clean will more than make it up for it when it's filthy!

I love my car when its clean it realy looks like it was worth the effor I had a blue car beofre and it never looked worth the effort.
However the car does look dirty quickly. I'd recomend when/if you get one to wash and give it a total polish all over ever last spec touch up any stone chips etc there nothing you can do to stop it getting dirty realy (mudguards might help but there no offical 172/182 ones) but least a good polish will help protect the paint and make it easier to clean.

Audi TT roadster
i have had 3 black renaults, my 1.5 dci clio, my 1.5 dci megane and currently my black gold 182 with cup packs. this is the most gorgeous car i have ever had, it turns heads everywhere i go. i have had it for a week and washed it once, winter is less severe than sumer for the black cars, every fly you hit leaves a nasty mark. these do come off but you do have to work hard to do it. go for the black, you'll have the most gorgeous car in your street!

:D

Black/Gold 182
I've got a black 182 - if you get one be careful how you clean it. Any tiny bits of grit on the sponge/mitt will scratch the lacquer clear coat and it's quite noticeable (esp in the sunlight).

I've taken to using a soft, clearcoat safe brush

forget it - nightmare

plus black is the softest paint in the book - chips and scratches easir and shows them up more too!!

they look great thats true, but mate beleive me you will regret it - especially if like me you like keeping them clean and minty

Mini Cooper S sport
I had a black 172 and it did look amazing when it was clean, but unfortunately that was usually only for one day. Every drop of moisture showed up on it when it dried, and I got fed up with cleaning it every two weeks. If you don't mind keeping it clean, get one because the black gold 182s do look fantastic - if not, pick silver.

Racing Blue doesn't show the dirt at all - I've not washed it for a month and it still doesn't look dirty!

Yaris Hybrid
I had a black car once.

NEVER AGAIN

It was absolute hell. Everytime you wash it you need to polish it properly otherwise it has a grey/brown look to it and you can see all the scratches and swirls. You spend half a day washing and polishing and then a day later it looks filthy again!

With a silver car you can do a five minute wash with a flash car wash kit and it looks like the day it rolled off the forecourt.

You can't beat a recently polished black car so be careful if the one you view has just been given the treatment. Sneak back and view it again a couple of days later after some rain and say 50 miles.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i washed mine yesterday, went to get in it today (its not moved since it was washed) and its dirty already under the bump strips! looks amazing when washed though!

Renaultsport Clio 182
Oh dear I've been put off a little now :( Really wanted Artic Blue, though can't find many localish with low miles. Wouldn't say no to Silver, looks mint even when dirty :D But oh dear, been put off black a little now.

Black is the fastest colour. Everyone knows that! Ignore what everyone says and get it!

Maybe a hard colour to keep clean, but who cares when you've got a beast under your bonnet? Drive it, get it dirty, clean it if it's not gonna rain for a few days, otherwise, just keep it dirty and keep it as a rally **** :D

182 w/busted splitter :-(
Don't let the doom-sayers put you off!

If you want the black one, get the black one!

As I mentioned above, it's the cack weather in this country that makes *every* car dirty (not just the black ones) especially in the Winter.

My 182 lives outdoors (as I don't have a garage) and it doesn't always get washed every week (although I try....) I use the time-and-tested two-bucket method, no hose or pressure washer (don't have an outside tap either) so it's all done by hand. two hours tops, inside and out, has it looking sparkling again.

Plus, it's a great upper-body aerobic workout and gets you some fresh air, so there's health benefits in owning a black 182!

Go for it -you know it makes sense!!!

Josh27 said:
I'm probably going to view a 182 in black on sunday. I'm just worried about one thing...the colour. I mean I love cars in black when they're all nice and clean. But everyone says they are a pain to keep clean in both the summer and winter. Is this true? Is it as bad people make out? And will a metallic black show those horrible cob web effects in the paint too?

I'm appealing to all the black car owners out there! :D

I don't think you ever do keep a black car clean, yes it is a pain, the Vee is chronic to keep clean, but it's superb when it is clean !!! It's not as bad in the summer of course, but in winter one day out in slightly dirty conditions and it's almost grey

having said that it's a wonderful colour the Black Gold and you will be very pleased with it !!!

Renaultsport Clio 182
Decisions, decisions... I'll see. If it's a nice a car as it sounds when I go to view it tomorrow, sod it, I'll go for it. I'll just have to keep her sparkling! I don't do many miles anyway, 100 miles a week tops, so shouldn't get 'that' dirty.

Mini Cooper S sport
This was my 172 when it was all clean and shiny..

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/radionewsbird/clio172-5.jpg
clio172-5.jpg

..and this is how it looked with salt from the roads all over it :(

picture3.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/radionewsbird/picture3.jpg

btw I know the 182 colour has more of a gold sheen..but you get the idea.

BMW 320d SE
My first car was an F reg Mini - in black - and it was absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! It's the best colour to have a car - full stop!
Silver cars never look dirty, but hen they never turn heads either, because nobody notices them (no offence to anyone with a silver car), and they're so common! ;)
I say go for it.

Renaultsport Clio 182
Oh well, too late...I've just put a deposit down on a Black 182, both Cup packs, 05 plate, it's done 1800 miles, so hardly worn in :D Will be picking her up in the week, I'm a little excited to say the least!

Mini Cooper S sport
Nice one!! You'll love it :-D

Just invest in some good cleaning products hehe.

Did you get a good deal?

BMW 320d SE
Enjoy! You'll not regret it! I've had mine a little over a month now, and it still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! :D :cool:

Renaultsport Clio 182
Cheers guys, I'm sooo excited! :D

And yea, will be investing in some quality cleaning stuff. All new spounges, leathers etc as well as some more Autoglym bits.

Got a great deal, managed to knock a grand off of the price that the dealer wanted :)

Vee dub
Josh27 said:
Cheers guys, I'm sooo excited! :D

And yea, will be investing in some quality cleaning stuff. All new spounges, leathers etc as well as some more Autoglym bits.

Got a great deal, managed to knock a grand off of the price that the dealer wanted :)

One hint

Buy a Meguiars Lambswool wash mitt...... not a sponge

Tom

106 GTi
Nice one, good colour choice, is such a pain to keep clean worth it though!

sunset-side.jpg

A lambswool mit for washing is a must though.

Vee dub
Yes Josh

Believe me, the mitt is safer, more effective and alot easier to use than a sponge! It keeps the shampoo suds contained in it so is very good!

Enjoy the car

Oh boy do i love my silver 172, i have showed cars before at concours standard, i love the silver 172, it always looks clean then when i set about it and black up the Pilots etc you can really tell its been done................black....no thanks!!

Half stripped mk2 172
I have a black 172 and i love it, the only problem is stonechips on the bonnet. They show a lot on black cars, and even if you have a small dent on black paintwork it shows a well, but said that when its clean its gorgeous. Vince