ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key Clio

Clio 2005 1.5 DCI
Hi!

I own a Renault Clio 2005 1.5 DCI Diesel , got it a week ago from my brother ( I'm a total noob with cars ) and something is wrong with the key , it doesn't recognise it.

Lemme reproduce : He came from Norway to bring me the car because he bought a Volvo. During the trip there was a problem with the computer and it had to be cleaned ( water inside ). It worked nicely for a whole week but starting with the last Saturday it started to not recognise the key thus not starting the engine. I have to retry ( plug & unplug the key ) for about 20 to 50 times to recognise it.

Saturday :

I had to lose about 5 to 30minutes to start up the car , it was the same during Sunday , Monday and Tuesday aswell... But this morning I got this problem :

It doesn't start no matter how many times I plug/unplug it. It's totally broken I guess.

Side note : I called the mechanic that cleaned the computer , he went by my house to check it up 30minutes later(saturday).He deleted the old key and reintroduced this one and it worked only for that day. I called him again on Monday and he told me that the computer is broken and I have to buy a new one so he can't help me.

Thanks for reading.
I'm hoping for some good advices.

Last edited by a moderator:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Boo, that's not nice is it. I would say first of all to check you have good earths for the vehicles electronic systems and then check to see if there are any signs of water leaking in to the cabin on the left side of the vehicle. It appears to be a UCH fault but it is a tricky one to diagnose without having the vehicle to hand as it may also be a key fault (Original video issue)

Mick

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As mick says earths would be the first place I would look just because of the way it starts to power up then seems like as it gets into the process it runs out of current and starts again.
@MicKPM knows far more about the electrical systems on these cars than I do though, my knowledge tends to end with the engine itself, as I normally run them on aftermarket so dont get into diagnosis of the standard bits like he does.

Clio 2005 1.5 DCI
What's EARTHS and UCH ? I'm not used to auto english terms.

I think it has enough current (battery?) because mp3 player , the headlights and front electrical windows work.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Earth - Electrical Ground
UCH - Renault abbreviation for the body control module