ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key issues, phase 1 172

hazzamondo

ClioSport Club Member
  986 boxster
The key for my phase 1 is slowly dying.
currently you have to press the unlock button at the same time as turning it in the ignition to start the car otherwise the immobiliser kicks in.

I’ve already replaced the decoder ring in the ignition. had the fault diagnosed as the key itself.

I believe keys for a ph1 are no longer available. Does anyone know of some who can programme a ph2 key to a ph1??

Is there another option I’m missing?

thanks

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
I took my phase 1 key to Timpsons (was located in a Tesco Supermarket Car park!) as I'd been having loadsa trouble- on a track day too- with the key not being accepted by the immobilser. Key press button was knackered, and had tried changing the battery, and an ebay refurb kit, and neither them worked

A completely new key worked a treat, but bloke did say it was a bit of a gamble. But he copied the code and whatever else they do, fine.

Gambled £30 on the replacement, and couldn't believe it when it actually worked fab, and has done ever since

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve also got a Timpsons key and i works perfectly well and solved my starting issue, which was similar to the the OP’s issue. But recent I’ve wanted to get the car‘s original key repaired and used these guys (I’m sure someone on here recommended them previously):-

Cost me £14.99 plus postage to them and they have done a great job; can now use the original key again, open the car normally without having to press the button down hard and the car will now start without having to press the key together.

Could be worth a punt for £15 before you have to shell out for a replacement key as Timpsons one cost me £69 and Renault wanted £100+ for a new key with no guarantee it would work as it came pre-coded to the UCH and as we couldn’t prove my car had the original UCH still in it.

hazzamondo

ClioSport Club Member
  986 boxster
Cheers for that

will try timpsons as I have one 5 mins walk away.

That fob fix site looks good but reluctant to send my only key away for repair.

clio_ross

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was exactly the same as I only have 1 genuine key, but made sure I used the correct postage and they return they key to you via recorded delivery, so you should have no issues.

That said, at least if you get a Timpsons non-remote key then at least you would have a back-up should you decide to send the original away for repair.

hazzamondo

ClioSport Club Member
  986 boxster
Well it looks Timpsons isn’t an option. I have been in 2 shops now and neither can read the key. Even took it apart so just the board was in the machine and no joy.

I hope fob fix works .....

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I guess I need them to be from a phase 1,
Is it swap and away you go or would I need to do anything with clip etc ?

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same for PH1, tbh. But on my 172 Cup, it was unplug old stuff, plug in new stuff, and switch the key blades over to the new fobs so that all my locks matched still. Nothing else to do!

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Well it looks Timpsons isn’t an option. I have been in 2 shops now and neither can read the key. Even took it apart so just the board was in the machine and no joy.

I hope fob fix works .....

Awwww. Shame. Spose I was just lucky.

hazzamondo

ClioSport Club Member
  986 boxster
Update

I sent the key off to fobfix, nice quick turn around. i now have one fully working key again. Well worth the £15.

Thanks all for your help.