ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keys

Clio 172
Hope this is in the right section!

Bought a Mark 2 Phase 1 clio 172 (X Reg 2000MY) and only came with one key which works fine, I would like a spare just in case.

Having googled and got far too many different versions of the story I would like the definitive and know the guys here will help.

So can I get it done cheaply, Timpsons/ebay/Local Locksmith and code the central locking/immobilser myself?

No, is the basic answer. I had same issue. Needs to go through renault. buying the key with transponder from else where is just as expensive and it'll still need to be coded by renault...and it's not guaranteed to work if it's pattern part...

Clio 172
No, is the basic answer. I had same issue. Needs to go through renault. buying the key with transponder from else where is just as expensive and it'll still need to be coded by renault...and it's not guaranteed to work if it's pattern part...

Sorted this today took the original to Timpsons, they cut me a key and coded it.

Result job done in 10 minutes £20.

306 GTI-6
I am surprised they do this.

The Timpsons local to me wouldnt even swap a battery for me in a keyfob as they said i would then have to go to Pug to have the fob reprogrammed.

Clio 172
The key is a basic key no remote, opens all doors and boot and starts car. Ideal as a back up spare key and for £20 cannot go wrong.

He popped my original key in some sort of machine, cut the other key, took some red chip out of this key coded the chip put it back in and I paid him £20.

Clio 172
photo-2.gif

306 GTI-6
My central locking was a seperate fob i thought on my Clio. Cant recall for certain though.

Sounds like its done the trick, spare key for me on payday then

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
How does it open all doors and boot if it doesn't have remote locking?

Didn't think the clio did this if you unlocked the passenger door, just thought it unlocked that door.

Sam.

Clio 172

Didn't think the clio did this if you unlocked the passenger door, just thought it unlocked that door. Should have made it clear....it opens each lock if you use the key in each.

Sam.

So the red bit is basically the immobiliser chip?
Yes.

so not a fully functioning remote locking key??? does the job though, thought the kid wanted a as per original
Only needed as a spare.

Have I trod on some toes here? People seem to be annoyed that I have got a spare key for £20.....No it's not a fully functioning remote key but it is a fully functioning key which will open all the locks and start the car. Now bearing in mind I had only 2 responses from my original post both suggesting it was probably not possible it seems it is possible. So anyone not wanting to for out a fortune, isn't really bothered about the remote option, wants a spare key making up and has the correct type of key (similar to mine) I suggest taking a trip to Timpsons.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
You've not trod on any ones toes.

I think people are just surprised at how cheap you got it as they have always been really expensive to get hold of.

Didn't think the clio did this if you unlocked the passenger door, just thought it unlocked that door.

Sam.

Could always open passenger door then press the lock button on the dash to unlock other doors + boot

PB 182 (1 of 29)
Off to timpsons for me then, got one the same (billy basic spare) for my focus a little while ago and that was £95 and took an hour at some locksmith place in Nottingham, thanks for sharing this information!!