ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knackered clio!

clio 1.2 16v
not sure if this is the rite place to post this so sry if its wrong!

i drive a 51 plate renault clio that seems to be rapidly fallin apart, its on 50 000 miles (yeah i no thats high for a 51 plate!!) and so far iv got a clutch on the way out, a knackered starter motor and iv had to practicly replace the engine bit by bit, it also has well dodgy wiring on all the electric stuff which only works when it feels like it! has anyone els had problems with them coz im sure a car that is only 4 years old shouldnt be needing all this work.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
mines a 51, its done 72K !!!!!!!!!

most mechanical things have been ok,
electrically though.
8-12 ignition coils changed.
new throttle sensor
new throttle body
wiring loom modifications.
had the ECU reset about 35 times.

the cylinder head was also damaged when the cam belt change went wrong during a service.
it leaks water.

what electrical problems have you had????
im about ready to scrap mine, could get about £4k for it on auto trader but i feel guilty selling a car thats gonna let someone else down like it has me. so i need to trade, i want another clio, but i want it to have jap reliability........ i know what a joke!!!

Merc Coupe V6 AMG
funny that mine leaked water,and new trottle body. everything is fine now though touch would

clio 1.2 16v
im begining to think that clios are all jus crap!! all my electrics, the lights, the windows, the mirrors they all randomly stop working for no reason its great my windows get stuck down all the time! iv also had a oil leak that was supposedly fixed but im still using oil like theres no tomorow. i was gonna sell mine and upgrade to a 182 but will i jus hav the same problem with that?

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
yeh prolly, but what u gonna do???

its really gutting when stuff goes wrong, id have my mini back anyday, no electrics to muck up.

Da

Less
mine's a 51 on a 02 plate, 46K miles, no mechanical problems whatsoever, and electrically has been sound for nearly 3 years of ownership! Not all Clio's are bad, trust me!!!

Its times like this I'm glad I've got the extended warently.
My 52 plates on 52k without any realy problems apart from the fact its quicker than a normal one.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
mine is an 02 plate 1.2 16V with 118,000 miles, serviced every 18,000 at a dealer.

the factory clutch was replaced 30 miles ago, not surprized lol and the coil pack was replaced at about the 100,000 mark thats all thats been replaced apart from the usual stuff at services. never broke down on me once, i take it ive got a good one :)

clio 1.2 16v
mayb iv jus had bad luck with this one then. the only thing that worries me about gettin a 182 is stuff is much more expensiv to replace than on my little 1.2 so if things go wrong im screwed!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you see videos of people with 182s on here bouncing them off the limiter etc and they all seem to be reliable enough, only problem is rattles i suppose but every french car is going to have that! that said my sunroof is the only thing that rattles and the 172/182 doesnt have a sunroof.

clio 1.2 16v
do they not, thatd b good iv had so much trouble with my sun roof, its leaked god knows how many times and it rattles like nethin, it drives me crazy!!

Ad

MK2 FRS
kitty kat said:
do they not, thatd b good iv had so much trouble with my sun roof, its leaked god knows how many times and it rattles like nethin, it drives me crazy!!

always been a problem the sunroofs. On my 52reg 1.2 16v the dealer fitted a revised sunroof which cured it.

Bit late for you under warranty.

clio 1.2 16v
yeah iv just learned to live with it!! i hav noticed that everything rattles though, all the windows and the door panels its not very well put together!

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
ive got me a 51 plate with 18k on the clock and theres not a single thing wrong with it when shall i expect things to stop working.

clio 1.2 16v
bendee said:
ive got me a 51 plate with 18k on the clock and theres not a single thing wrong with it when shall i expect things to stop working.

well i bought mine on 35000 and stuff started going wrong straight away. can i just ask how the hell is your 51 plate only on 18000 and my 51 plate is on 51000, do you ever drive it?!?!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
coil pack a common problem i take it?

cant be that bad motors though if freds is at 84,000 miles on original parts apart from coil pack and mine is at 117,000 with only coil pack and clutch changed, and at that you have to agree 117,000 miles is good for a clutch.

clio 1.2 16v
looks like iv picked one with lots of problems then!! my m8 has an 02 plate and hers is fine guess its jus bad luck mines knackered!!

Clio 182, Audi A3
Had a 93 Clio 1.4 for 7 years and 110000 miles with very few problems. Had my 182 13 months and 15000 miles without problems.
To some extent it's the luck of the draw (especially with electrics) and to some extent how sympathetically you drive it. People who rag cars from cold and sit on the clutch on hills instead of using the handbrake are asking for problems. (Not that I'm saying you drive like this).

clio 1.2 16v
i do try and drive it carefully, i dont sit on the clutch coz i cant afford a new one i need it to last! i admit that i hav been known to rag the engine occasionally but not vey often as its only a crappy 1.2 i aint gonna beat anyone neway so whats the point!!

clio 1.2 16v
im starting to think its the 51 plates you no i spoke to someone at the weekend who has a 51 plate, he's experienced almost exactly the same problems as i have, mite have to trade it in for something newer i reacon!

RenaultSport clio 182 mk2
Before my 182 i had a 1.2 16v 53 plate. It had done 30k and i had no problems with it at all part from the sun roof squeakin but after a service it was fine. The only problem with my 182 is it rattles abit and drinks petty for fun lol.

clio 1.2 16v
yeah thats what im worried about, i spend enough time in the petrol station now with a 1.2 so if i get a 182 i might as well move in! sumthing has to be done though this car is driving me nuts now! i would b lookin at gettin as new a car as i can wen did the 182's come out?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Other than an ECU failure on my old one, it was sound as a pound, and driven hard day in day out.

I have a 172 which is a Y reg with 33k on the clock. I've had it about 8 months, its been pretty good really. I had to replace the spark plugs and leads and recently had to clean the idle control valve out.
I also had my 36k service and cambelt changed.

Overall I am happy with it and would get another one

I have a 02 with 62k on the clock, and recently it has been struggling to start, and the electrics/exhast and steering wheel warning light have been staying on. Think i may have damaged the starter/battery when i tried to start the car in the north of scotland at -13degrees??? its never been working right since. How much do you think it'll cost to fix??????

clio 182 black /gold
kitty kat said:
not sure if this is the rite place to post this so sry if its wrong!

i drive a 51 plate renault clio that seems to be rapidly fallin apart, its on 50 000 miles (yeah i no thats high for a 51 plate!!) and so far iv got a clutch on the way out, a knackered starter motor and iv had to practicly replace the engine bit by bit, it also has well dodgy wiring on all the electric stuff which only works when it feels like it! has anyone els had problems with them coz im sure a car that is only 4 years old shouldnt be needing all this work.
Wow it has lasted so long. LOLno seriously thats renault for you

MK1 PH2 BLACK CLIO 1.2
Guys buy a mark one. French electrics are useless so thankfully my wee clio has very little. Window winders, no immobilisers, no fancy useless gadgets. Just a good radio and a reliable little engine that has never let me down down. But then I've never had a newer car so ignorance is bliss!! LOL