ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking after fitting lowering springs

Mk2 172 Cup
Ok lads so I fitted some 40mm apexi lowering springs but iv the rear springs are knocking over everything little bump and even coming off accelerator/pressing brakes

also fitted new front discs and pads but drivers side was very right fit even with the caliper wound right back and seems to be leaving slight pressure on the disc so it's making a really annoying noise when driving

Last edited:
Apex are rough and crashy, but i would say something is either been put back together wrong or the shocks are very tired.

Mk2 172 Cup
Sorry for the absolutely terrible pics but this is how close they sit
null_zps1bbbfdba.png

null_zps5c14777c.png

I have Apex 40mm the rear springs knocked for about 2 weeks driving about 2-4 hours a day and eventually they will settle and stop knocking :)

Where yours a bad annoying knoking going over any bump?

Yes exactly that, it sounded really bad but ive had them around a month or 2 and they are fine now absolutely no knocking, infact the front seems a bit higher than the back..

Just give them time to settle they sound horrible when they knock but they wont make a sound after a few weeks

Thats normal and one of the teasons why they are so s**t. If you want lows with a better ride look into cooksports

Everyone says Apex are s**t which confuses me cause after they settle they don't knock and the ride is great for what they are

Mk2 172 Cup
I only got them because I was at euro parts and they had them in stock and where cheap! And the rubber pads are there but they are rubbish pics

Clio 172 Cup
I'm not an expert at Apex, but either they're bad? or the knocking could be because the springs are settling it. Going from uncompressed to a sudden 1 ton weight constantly on them.

They are positioned correctly with the mount on tightly right?

exhaust knocking on the rear beam axle due to worn rubbers and the axle sitting further up because of the lowering springs? i had this issue after i lowered mine. i know it more than likely will not be this but it's worth a check, just go under your car and pull the exhaust up and down and see if you can hear anything

Mk2 172 Cup
exhaust knocking on the rear beam axle due to worn rubbers and the axle sitting further up because of the lowering springs? i had this issue after i lowered mine. i know it more than likely will not be this but it's worth a check, just go under your car and pull the exhaust up and down and see if you can hear anything
cheers mate but it's deffo the springs knocking, iv just replaced exhaust mounts/rubbers

172 cup
What state are your rear bushes in? Mine knocked and banged when i lowered it, moved springs around, changed exhaust mount etc. Ended up being that my rear bushes were f*cked. Worth a look?