ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking - Engine mounts possibly

Lee

BMW M2C

Right I figured I may as well go ahead and ask the question, seeing as my local dealer cant get to look at the car for another 4 and a half weeks. :mad:

If I pull away and loose traction or corner hard or even just turn on an uneven surface Im getting a knocking noise from the front of the car. It seems to be from underneath and from either side and is bad enough to be felt through the wheel.

I know for sure its not the suspension tower problem as thats already been fixed. So, from what Ive read it could be the engine mounts? Anyone care to shed any light on this for me please? Or better still bring a toolkit to the Midlands rolling road day and fix it ;) before it shakes itself to bits. Its been getting progressively worse over time. :( Plus its really starting to ruin the only thing thats making me keep the car, the fun factor. I cant throw it about for fear its going to drop to bits.:(

Yours, despondently.

Lee

mine knocks when i fly off a hill at 60, and when i put full lock on but i spoke to some mechanics and some said its trackrodend/ball joints and drive shaft/cv joints, but i reckon its the drive shaft/cv joints coz it passed the mot, and it was knocking when i bought it (its gotten slightly worse over time).

Mine does it too. I have changed the lewer engine stabaliser a few times. It seems to work for about a week then back tot normal. I have had this problem for over six months now. It only happens in first and second gear?

Lee

BMW M2C

Fred, youre an absolute (y) mate.

Its really spoiling my fun not being able to chuck it into corners.

By the way, you can leave the angle grinder at home for now. ;)

Renault Laguna Coupe

I had a knocking on mine - it was the engine mount under the battery (actually its a gearbox mount). Just needs tightening up.

Lee

BMW M2C

Fingers crossed its something relatively simple like that mike.

Its getting embarassing everytime I give someone a lift they ask whats wrong with my car.

Ive got it too. At first it was just happening in first gear when pulling away hard, and I thought it was the wheels scrambling for grip; now, though, its in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and happens whenever I go from a steady speed to a burst of acceleration. Feelss to me like its the mounts, and that the torque generated by the engine is twisting the engine against the mounts initially before the torque gets to make the wheels shift quicker - "every action has an equal and opposite reaction"-type-thingy.