ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking from front, and play in steering

LEXUS LS400
My 182 has been into the garage I bought it from a couple of times for them to try and resolve a knocking when turning left or right at low speed (ie pulling out of a junction). It sounded like a dodgy CV joint or knackered drive shafts so they've replaced them both (under warranty) but the noise is still there. They are adamant that it's not track rod ends or suspension components etc. Strangely, it doesn't appear to make the noise so much when the car is hot, but is noticeable both inside and out of the car when it's cold.

I have noticed that recently the steering wheel doesn't consistently 'centre'. The top centre of the wheel can point a little to the right, and then I will go round a left hand bend and it will be a little to the left. Then if I then go round a right hand bend it might centre a little to the right again. I can get the same result by turning the 'wheel when stationary.
The steering appears to work fine, and track properly. There is no abnormal wear on the front tyres.

I am assuming that there is some play in the rack somewhere, but the garage can't re-create the knocking in the workshop and have all but given up.

I believe the PS pump isn't run off the aux belt... how does it work ?
How easy is it to change the steering rack / pump ?

I know it's nigh on impossible to diagnose problems, especially when described by a mechanical numpty, but does anyone have any ideas ?

Baffled !!!

Audi A3
i think my top mounts are noisy anyway more of a squeak though. i think this d,d,d,d,d, is something different

Megane R26
I had this, tried replacing all sorts and it turned out i needed a new offside shaft....i know you say you've already replaced but was it replaced with a Renault part or a cheaper alternative?

Mazda Mx5 + Clio 172
This is prob gonna sound ridiculous but check your top engine mount. The noise and symptoms are do similar to what mine was doing. I thought it was driveshaft but turned out to be a totally buggered engine mount. Might not be that but worth a look

LEXUS LS400
I had this, tried replacing all sorts and it turned out i needed a new offside shaft....i know you say you've already replaced but was it replaced with a Renault part or a cheaper alternative?

It was a genuine Renault part. Engine mounts have also been checked. Weird...

Mine did this and we found out that after refitting engine we had it on it's mounts too far to the drivers side. This meant that the dirveshaft was in contact at the end of it's normal play. Fixed by setting engine about 5mm over to the passenger side on it's mounts. You need to do both mounts. Easy to do and might fix your problem.

LEXUS LS400
Mine did this and we found out that after refitting engine we had it on it's mounts too far to the drivers side. This meant that the dirveshaft was in contact at the end of it's normal play. Fixed by setting engine about 5mm over to the passenger side on it's mounts. You need to do both mounts. Easy to do and might fix your problem.

Cheers - will look into this. Drove slowly around a multistorey carpark earlier and it sounded awful.