ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking Noise & Bits Flying Everywhere

1.6 Ford Focus
I have had this for a few days now and its getting worse and worse...

Every time I go over a bump or pot hole there's a knocking noise somewhere under the car. I have had a quick look under there and it looks ok to me but them I am not a mechanic, the exhaust doesn't wobble either although there is a mount in a rather strange position.

I was driving to work this morning and hit a pot hole, next thing there is a massive bang and I see some rather big black object flying off the back of the car and now it knocks nearly constantly.

Any ideas what this could be? I am trying to sell the damn thing, so helpfully it doesn't cost much.

RB FF 182
This happened to me... turned out my rear spring had snapped...

Didn't cause a knocking afterwards though but creaked all the time as my shock had gone on the same side!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Spring coil busted, ARB bush,Exhaust mount, Under tray... could be a few things TBH but really, the only way you're gonna know for sure is to get it looked at pdq.

Mick

1.6 Ford Focus
I would have thought if it was the suspension then the car would be leaning to one side slightly?

I made it home but more bits have fallen off and whatever it is is metal going by the sound it made hitting the body on the way home. Fingers crossed its just a mount or something, maybe a mount came off and ripped a bit of the heat shield off or something.

RB FF 182
I would have thought if it was the suspension then the car would be leaning to one side slightly?

I made it home but more bits have fallen off and whatever it is is metal going by the sound it made hitting the body on the way home. Fingers crossed its just a mount or something, maybe a mount came off and ripped a bit of the heat shield off or something.

Wasn't noticeably leaning or anything when mine went. I wouldn't drive it til you know what's up mate if I were you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.6 Ford Focus
Wasn't noticeably leaning or anything when mine went. I wouldn't drive it til you know what's up mate if I were you...

Bugger... well I drove it to work today simply to pick up my pay check haha. I will get it to the garage tomorrow morning.

1.6 Ford Focus
Most likely gonna be something that's easily replaced.

Yeah, that was my original thought, something like exhaust mounts. There are still bits falling off it though, two smaller bits fell off on the way to work this morning, unless the mounts are crumbling away and took some of the heat shielding with it when it fell off I have no idea what the problem is.

I checked under the car again and there's nothing hanging off... Mechanically the car is fine and runs perfectly. It wobbles a bit at speed but it always has done that.

Lol at bits falling off, theres bound be a smooth part or a bit significantly cleaner than the rest if tis falling off.

1.6 Ford Focus
Well I got the car to the garage on Saturday and they couldn't find anything wrong...

They checked it on the ramp and even took it for a drive, about 10 mins later they tell me they cant find anything wrong with it... Obviously they didn't take it down a bumpy road.

I have taken everything out of the boot to make sure its nothing in there and it's still knocking... Im getting it back to the garage tomorrow. Nothing else has fallen off, it's just knocking all the time unless the road is perfectly smooth.