ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking noise when turning right

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Last couple of days ive noticed a knocking sound when turning right, its 100% fine when turning left or driving straight. It only happens on tightish corners at 20-30mph or above.

Any ideas? :dapprove:

Cheers
Dan

renault clio 1.8 16v
mine did this, but my engine mounts were loose apparently.

i thought that it was the cv joint and booked it in for a new one but my mounts were loose from when I had my clutch done.

not there now, quiet as a mouse

mine just did it on full lock going round right bends, only when on full lock though!

your obviosly throwing it round bends arent you! lol!

renault clio 1.8 16v
prob a 2hr job if that if its your cv joint, so you should get it done for less than £200 i think, i may be way off the mark though

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I have a standard pipe still, its defo coming from the front end.

If its the CV joint, which it sounds like it is, why do i only hear it when im turning right? When it knocks im not driving hard, just general use.

Megane 230 R26
You only hear it turning right because it's only knocking when the joint is bent that way, it's quite normal for CV joints to fail in that way, it's probably split open as GavFre said. The fact it knocks regardless of how hard you're driving makes it more likely it is the CV joint, as your wheels are always turning :) I'm guessing the frequency of the knock varies with the speed you're going?

Of course it *could* be something else, but a knackered CV joint is the most likely explanation, you ought to be able to inspect it yourself without too much bother I would have thought to avoid extra garage costs if it's not that, but don't hold me to that as I've never looked at one on a Clio...

Last edited:
  2 black night and day
yeah id agree more than likey the track rod end or the cv joint! one of my clios do the same, got the parts just had no time too fit them so my moded clio out and about at the moment, shes the bomb!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
dan_16v said:
Last couple of days ive noticed a knocking sound when turning right, its 100% fine when turning left or driving straight. It only happens on tightish corners at 20-30mph or above.

Any ideas? :dapprove:

Cheers
Dan

Dont turn right? ;)